Trying to decide what kind of RV to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TyreeFamily

My husband and I are looking to buy a RV.  We have a one ton, long bed truck (4x4 Diesel) so towing isn't a problem.  We can't decide between a 5th wheel or a Destination trailer.  It will be parked for about 2 years in one spot while we build our house and continue to work full time.  We will be living in it full time (in Texas).  But after that, we are looking to travel the country for one week a month while we work part time.  So, we will still live in it quite a bit as our house will be built 300 miles from our work.  Our budget is up to $30,000.  We are also big cooks, so kitchen space and appliances are important.  Ultimately my questions are A) 5th wheel or trailer? and B) is there a brand that is really better given our budget?  I have done a ton of research, but still don't see a clear winner with our budget.  Any input would be appreciated!  We are looking forward to this new chapter, just want to make the right decisions.

What part of Texas? If it's the panhandle, it gets a lot colder in winter than, say, Corpus Christi. And RVs aren't generally known for cold weather comfort. A destination trailer, as I understand it, has residential style bathroom fixtures (toilet, etc.), which would not be suitable for travel. So if you're going to use it for travel, the 5th wheel is a better bet. But the destination model is better for staying put for extended times, if you have the sewer, etc. to hook it to.

Those more familiar with these units probably have a lot to add.

I think the floor plan, condition and price are a lot more important considerations than 5er vs trailer. I would look at both and not limit myself to one style.

Agree with Seilerbird.  A 5W inherently has better towing stability than a TT, but a properly set up TT still follows along fine, so that's not a big deal.  Your choice should focus on the size and layout that works best for you.

A destination trailer emphasizes livability over towability, so may be less suitable for your future travel plans. Some models may even lack water tanks (full park hook-ups required).

With your budget I would be looking more toward used trailers and get a more upscale brand for my money.

Your best bet would be to hit a couple of RV shows and check out all the different layouts between travel trailers and fifth wheels. Having lived in a FEMA trailer for a year, I can tell you that I appreciate the higher ceilings of a fifth wheel. Also, a destination trailer will be difficult to modify for mobile use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom