September Colorado Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heading from Houston to Colorado first of September. Plan to spend two weeks in Colorado. I would love some suggestions on places to stay and things not to miss. Traveling in a 35' Tiffin Class A.

Do you want to dry camp and/or boondock?
What are your interests?  State parks, National Parks, cities, historic sites, museums, hiking, sightseeing by auto, etc.
Are you towing a car/truck?
Do you want a quick over view of most of the state, moving every other day, or would you be happy with concentrating on one area of the state, spending 4-6 days in one spot and then moving 100 miles or so and spending another 4-6 days?

When we were working and taking 2 week vacations, we decided on one area we were interested in and then got there as quickly as possible and then spent many days in one spot before moving 50-100 miles.

BTW, September is usually a great time to visit Colorado.  Fewer people and usually great weather.

We live outside of Colorado Springs. Lots of free and low cost things to do in the Pikes Peak area. That being one of them (leave the RV at the campground!). Garden of the Gods-free, Mueller State Park-nice place to stay, great views and hiking. Any CO state park-one of the best systems. Cripple Creek-just up the road from Mueller-if you like gambling, you can. Ouray and Ridgeway State Park on the Western Slope and down to Silverton and keep going to Durango. You can pretty much "throw a dart at a map" in CO and it will hit a good place to go. Enjoy, just watch the weather, can change quickly. Bring layers of clothes and a lots of water to help adapt to the altitude.

Colorado is beautiful during September, however, the hunting season starts in September so many of the state parks will be full of hunters. While it's OK for you to be there, they may get a little upset if you are in an area they are hunting. There will be very few hunters East of the front range however. Enjoy your trip.

Do you have a toad? Or do you plan to take you MH everywhere you go?
If you have a Toad. Find a central location to park, and make day-trips with the toad.
I have a few suggestions for that kind of trip in September.

If you are just driving the Tiffin, then a different kind of tour is what you would enjoy.

Anything can happen, weatherwise, in September, so plan to keep an eye on the weather while you're here.

I should have added that when in Durango, stay at the the United Campground of Durango, just north of town. The steam train to Silverton goes right through the center of this campground. They go slow with lots of whistle blowing and you get a great opportunity to film a steam train as it passes. Seems like the whole campground turns out to watch it every time.

We found that if you take the bus from the train station to Silverton in the morning and then return to Durango on the afternoon train, you get to see a lot more of the beautiful mountain scenery in one day.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions I am going to start booking sites now. Colorado Springs, Montrose, Silverton, and Durango.

Chet18013 said:
I should have added that when in Durango, stay at the the United Campground of Durango, just north of town.

That's where we stayed at when we took the train ride.

There is a beautiful state park in Colorado Springs with full hookups and big sites and gorgeous views of the city--Cheyenne Mountain State Park. 

Hard to make other suggestions until we know what you like to do and where you want to go.  Should not miss the big national parks, such as Rocky Mountain National Park and Mesa Verde near Durango, I suppose.

Stayed 2 weeks at Mountaindale rv park. South of Colorado Springs and north of Penrose. Beautiful park. Easy to go everywhere in the area.

We went to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park at the end of June through mid-July and loved it.  Campgrounds were mostly booked but we ended up in a Jellystone.  It was great, mostly because we had a site with lots of shade trees.  Lots to experience in this area.  I agree with the comments about a towed vehicle; much more easy to drive in some of the scenic roads.  Grand Lake is beautiful and is on the western side of RMNP from Estes Park
Also spent some time around Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs/Pike's Peak and agree with other posts.

We like to run up to Grand Lake area and then enter Rocky Mountain National Park from that side. Estes Park is OK, but it gets so crowded.
Taking Trail Ridge Road through the park is a great drive, though in your MH, it can be quite of a challenge. It makes a better Toad Day Trip.

Urban Hillbilly said:
  You can pretty much "throw a dart at a map" in CO and it will hit a good place to go. 

As I said before (see quote). All the posts sum it up. Anywhere you go there is something to see and do in CO. Some are more crowded and busier than others, but you're coming in Sept. and you'll start getting some leaf-peepers but tourist season ends by Labor day, so it shouldn't be too bad. I live right off of US 24 going up into the mountains and across a creek from a seasonal CG, so I pretty much have seen it all in 15 years. I know you'll find some terrific and memorable places no matter where you go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom