Winnebago contact at the Manager Level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SD75mac

Does anyone have a contact at the manager level in customer service at Winnebago - Towables? I have been having issues with my TT and the fresh water tank due to a manufacturing defect and need resolution.

Thanks very much.

Harold

Have you tried Winnebago Owner Relations? ...email [email protected] or telephone (800) 537-1885.

They have been very helpful to me over the years, even in helping to keep dealers "honest" when I didn't seem to be getting the straight scoop. I normally contacted them via email so I could add pics if necessary, but phone worked too.

My unit is out of warranty. The original issue began when the FW tank fell to the hiway. The reason for it falling to the hiway was because the rear brace used to secure the tank was not properly installed. Contacted Winnebago and all they would do was to send a replacement tank, which they did. The purchasing dealer installed the tank, covered by my extended warranty. After the replacement tank was installed and filled with water, I noticed it has distorted and expanded. The tank is secure but not willing to fill it as it has distorted. Now the replacement is defective.

Attachments

• IMG_20170323_095722058_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170323_095722058_HDR.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Replacement Tank.jpg
    Replacement Tank.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 79
To support it, I would cut a piece of plywood a few inches longer then the tank. Then I would try to fasten the plywood directly to the frame using probably 3/8" threaded rod or bolts. 2 or 3 on each end.

The dealer did install the replacement tank and secured the rear brace. Don't know if the vent works, didn't get a chance to use the replacement tank. I filled it and all the water disappeared!

Can't add plywood to support the tank, there isn't space enough between the floor and tank. If a brace was needed, shouldn't Winnebago have designed that? The dealer examined the failing tank and couldn't get his had between the floor and top of tank.

I just want to raise this issue to Winnebago management to get this issue resolved. A faulty install from the factory then a defective replacement tank kind'a frosts me!

SD75mac said:
Can't add plywood to support the tank, there isn't space enough between the floor and tank. If a brace was needed, shouldn't Winnebago have designed that? The dealer examined the failing tank and couldn't get his had between the floor and top of tank.

When I mentioned plywood, I meant to add it under the tank and use bolts to support it to the RV frame.

For an out of warranty repair, the "good will" you already have is probably about it. If you do talk to someone else in management, I recommend being polite and straight forward. I would specifically ask to have the tank braced, and maybe even get an estimate to have it done so you can provide a amount to reference.

SD75mac said:
The dealer did install the replacement tank and secured the rear brace. Don't know if the vent works, didn't get a chance to use the replacement tank. I filled it and all the water disappeared!..
If the vent is plugged up or missing, the tank will expand when filled with water which could be one explanation for your problem. I recommend you investigate the vent situation before you go any further.

SargeW said:
For an out of warranty repair, the "good will" you already have is probably about it. If you do talk to someone else in management, I recommend being polite and straight forward. I would specifically ask to have the tank braced, and maybe even get an estimate to have it done so you can provide a amount to reference.

Even for a manufacturing defect?

The cost to repair was $680, not including the tank.

John Canfield said:
If the vent is plugged up or missing, the tank will expand when filled with water which could be one explanation for your problem. I recommend you investigate the vent situation before you go any further.

Missing, do you mean not connected to the roof vent?

SD75mac said:
Missing, do you mean not connected to the roof vent?

For the fresh water tank, there is (should be) a small air vent from the top or high on the side of the tank, usually, to the gravity fill port area that vents air out while filling the tank. I don't think there is a roof vent for the fresh water tank, only for the waste tanks. A roof vent might contaminate the water supply (IMHO)

This looks just like a problem that I just went through and just finished repairing.  I guess I am now reporting myself.  This one was my fault.  The trailer is a Sunnybrook Edgewater with a Winnebago badge.  I assume Sunnybrook made the trailer before going out of business and Winnebago just put their badge on it.

I put my water hose in the gravity fill port and turn the faucet on.... and forgotaboutit!!  This was fortunately at home.  I was in the trailer cleaning and heard a noise.  The tank had overfilled and dropped down and looked just like the OPs second photo.  There was a board under the tank that was actually particle board wrapped in plastic and stapled...DUH!!  Fortunately the board had rotted on the edges where the edges sit on the beams.  As the tank expanded, the bulging top pushed on the floor above, the bulging bottom pushed on the board and bowed it down and luckily the board edge failed and the board dropped.  The bulging top and bottom of the tank caused the sides of the tank to pull together and the tank dropped down about 6 inches passed the support "L" beams.

The drained, over pressured bulging tank looked exactly like the OPs bulging tank.  I would say that the OPs tank was either over pressured or bulged due to insufficient support under the tank.  But is sure looks like an over pressure to me based on my personal recent experience.  On my trailer I replaced the board with plywood.  I inspected the tank, pushed it back up and installed the board under the tank.  That was pretty easy to do.  The forward beam was welded but the aft beam was installed with large screws.  Removing the screws made it very easy to get the board installed.  Note:  The board was shorter than the tank.  This made it easy to hold the tank up with temporary small temporary boards at each end of the tank while I installed the large tank support board.

I was lucky that the tank did not crack somewhere from the over pressure.  The OP said that his water "disappeared."  Hopefully that tank is not cracked or cut by the beam when it dropped down.  If one of those tank support beams is installed with screws, I would do some measurements and get a piece of exterior plywood cut to go between the beams and about 6 inches or more shorter than the tank and install it...then leak check the tank.  If there is a 'not too large' crack in the tank there are plastic tank repair kits available.  VersaChem "Seal-n-Place is one.

Make sure that the tank is vented.  Either a line pointing down at the ground or running back up next to the gravity fill port.  That vent should have a screen on it also.       

Alfa38User said:
For the fresh water tank, there is (should be) a small air vent from the top or high on the side of the tank, usually, to the gravity fill port area that vents air out while filling the tank. I don't think there is a roof vent for the fresh water tank, only for the waste tanks. A roof vent might contaminate the water supply (IMHO)

I see your point. The filler works and the overflow vent.

I do have three roof vents.

Here's a photo, taken on the day of delivery. Notice the bulge underneath, the tank not positioned correctly. After 12 months, it decided to fall to the hiway, with approx 10 gallons of water.

I think I will purchase an an after-market tank and have an independent RV tech do the repair. I've had many issues with getting correct repairs from the selling dealership.

Attachments

• DropTank.png
    DropTank.png
    171.5 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom