Class C with the large overhang of front Windshield

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MollyDog

Do owners of C's find the large overhang over the cab of the coach a plus or a minus.  I know it takes away the great views a class A has, but assume it provides lots of shade for driver and passenger on those hot summer days.  What are your opinions, good and bad, of having that overhang with the class C's that have the added bed over cab?  Do you like it, mind it, or what?

Great for storage, provides shade when parked, and after an hour on the road don't even notice until I pull too far forward in an intersection and can't see the traffic light.

Bill

Overhang? What overhang? I have a Class C and have never noticed. I will have to go outside and see it.

cgmartin said:
Overhang? What overhang? I have a Class C and have never noticed. I will have to go outside and see it.

I noticed it last week when I went to look at a class C and banged my head really hard on the dang over hang as I stepped up to get into the driver's seat.  My head and especially my kneck still hurts.  Still thinking what a stupid place to extend the overhang to, right above where the step up is.

It's a huge plus for us. Doesn't block the view. Helps keep the sun off the cab and the cabover makes a great place inside to store lots of lightweight items. We don't use it as a bed. We have five bins that open from the front. Doors on the bins are clear so items are easy to see and reach without climbing. We store dry goods, extra clothing, coats, extra bedding, sleeping bags, extra pillows, and even some pots and pans. We have a large bin for dirty clothes up there too. We call it the attic.  We've never banged our heads getting in or out.  We also like having driver and passenger doors and airbags.

As sissyboy said, you can hit your head, but I only did it once. You learn real quick how to step into it. We love the class C units. We specifically looked for a C with overhead entertainment center. There are two LARGE cupboards on each side of the 40" flat screen. Then, an even larger area behind the TV. The overhang provides lots of shade while driving (I don't think I have ever pulled the sun visor down) and while parked. And, my wife drives our 32 footer just fine. She said "I won't help drive if you get a class A". Oh, and the class C is usually closer to the ground, so it's easier to step into.

don't think I've ever bumped heads on ours....
I do sometimes notice a reflection on the underside surface when I'm driving....but pretty much don't notice.  It does provide shade, like the bill of a hat, but otherwise it's never blocked my view while driving.
I suppose it does block the view from the living room.... but honestly, 99% of the time when parked that ends pointed to the road and has the curtain up anyway, so a) there is no view, and 2) it's closed off anyway.
Besides.... I need the bunk for kids.  That's the real niche of a class c I think

We think it's a bonus.  Went from a class C to an A and back to a C 2 months later (not a great financial move but we just HATED! everything about the class A).

We use it for storage, sleeping extra people when they stay with us, and my wife and I have even slept up there ourselves for some logistical reasons.

Oh, and yes, I have hit my head once or twice

Ditto  on the doors and airbags. One of the main reasons we went back to a class c was airbag for the wife and I like having my own door.

I'm a fan. I routinely sleep in my overhead, when situations don't permit sliding out. I can definitely see where that area can offer great storage. The only negative I can imagine is some decrease in fuel mileage, with how it must trap air underneath it, versus a class B+.

I've never hit my head on mine, as I have to duck under the door opening, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom