Best 6Volt AGM Golf Cart Battery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bfrazier

Howdy,

Anyone who wants to recommend a pair of Sealed AGM 6 Volt Golf Cart Batteries is welcome to suggest away - I'm all ears and dizzy from all the choices.

Right now I'm looking at Fullriver's DC224-6  which is 224 Amp Hours at the 20 hour rate the cost is 323.95 each.

Choice due to very limited service access, a definite predisposition for boondocking, and a desire for solar sooner rather than later.

Thanks,
Bob

http://www.fullriverbattery.com/product/batteries/DC224-6

The "gold standard" for 6v batteries is either Trojan and Lifeline. Both are highly regarded for both AGM and flooded cell batteries. But common sizes like the GC2 (golf cart) 6v AGM are almost a commodity these days and the difference between brands is tiny (if any at all). I would simply shop for the one with the most amp-hours per dollar. You can get a 220-230 AH 6v AGM for $260 on Amazon and Sam's Club or Costco members can usually get them for around $170 (prices vary regionally)

All the batteries come from just a few battery factories, so names like Fullriver or Interstate are just labels on somebody else's batteries.

Plain old golf cart batteries from Costco or Sam's Club for around $90 instead of $300+ is what I would do.  Just my opinion.  Gary pretty much hit it on the nose for the "supposed to be excellent" quality named batteries.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The "gold standard" for 6v batteries is either Trojan and Lifeline. .
Gary,

Thanks for the reply, I had lurked enough that I can see you've answered similar questions in the past, just not quite this one any time recently. I sure appreciate it. I did see elsewhere you recommended a Trojan 105s, but of course it is not an AGM battery, so I figured I'd may as well ask.

Thank you for your assistance,
Bob

AStravelers said:
Plain old golf cart batteries from Costco or Sam's Club for around $90 instead of $300+ is what I would do.

I really would prefer an AGM. Thanks though.

You may also want to check out Crown AGM batteries:

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/435823/CROWN1-Brochure-Web-SPECS-V2.pdf?t=1454595316448&__hssc=75749450.1.1501238404313&__hstc=75749450.3261c22c99d075fc5c749765466eac30.1501238404313.1501238404313.1501238404313.1&__hsfp=3726716444&hsCtaTracking=95320ef1-c833-4157-b709-57ebb4d4914e%7Caacdfc1a-8e57-42eb-9d8c-1bb3138cd362

kdbgoat said:
You may also want to check out Crown AGM batteries:

Wow, that's one powerful battery! Probably more pricey than I want but that seems to be the hottest battery in the group thus far. 260 Amp Hours...

Thanks

Make sure you have the vertical clearance as that Crown is slightly taller than other 6 volt batteries.

Trojan makes an excellent 6v AGM in a couple different AH ratings.  I'm an AGM fan myself and used group 31 size Trojan 12v AGMs in my coach. However, the price premium for AGM is still substantial, even though prices have fallen substantially in the past 5 years as more and more vehicles (not just Rvs) use AGM batteries. More than a few cars now have them as factory standard for their chassis battery.

For the  typical RV owner who has batteries installed and then forgets about them, I feel an AGM pays for itself in longer life. Too many Rvers end of replacing batteries every year or two due to neglect. Their Rvs also suffer damage from corrosion in and around the battery compartment. AGMs will pretty much avoid those issues.

If I had already had 6v batteries in my RV, I would probably buy AGM 6v's simply because staying with 6v makes it a drop-in replacement. I would  buy whatever brand I could get a decent price on.

I just looked.  Member of Sam's Club and they do not have a GC2 6 volt AGM battery listed.  The regular GC2 Duracell battery is $84.52 exchange at the Asheville NC club.  That is about what I paid 2 years ago for my Fleetwood Discovery 36J  (I needed 6 of them)  I did buy a battery filler like service stations all used to have from Amazon for about $16.  I fill all 18 cells in about 10 minutes every 30-60 days.  All working good.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Trojan makes an excellent 6v AGM in a couple different AH ratings.  I'm an AGM fan myself and used group 31 size Trojan 12v AGMs in my coach.

Obviously I'm pretty far down the rabbit hole here, and the underworld just keeps getting deeper.

Spoke to the only guy here in Tucson AZ that I could find that actually stocks 6V AGM GC batteries, and he said Trojan only recently started making their own batteries and that originally they had been buying Vision brand batteries and re-branding them. Furthermore he added that Trojan was now having difficulties with quality control.

He stocks Vision brand batteries, which I've never heard of, and the Vision 6V GC 220 AH batteries sell for $255.82 each.... but they're MADE IN CHINA.

http://battery-manufacturers.com/agm-battery-deep-cycle-series/

He sounded really knowledgeable, it just seemed contrary to what people without the financial interest (like you) have been saying.

Anyone is free to give me their opinion, all are most welcome, and Gary, I'm really hoping you do.

Thanks,
Bob

kdbgoat said:
He lied to you.

Agree, don't think that's right.

When I was shopping two years ago Trojan was having issues with their AGMs and pulled them from the market while they worked on why the cases were cracking. I think your Vision guy is trying to expand on that one issue. I was looking at AGMs but ended up staying with Trojan flooded due to cost of AGM.

There's a huge battery distributor in Phoenix you may want to check out, Battery Systems. Very large supplier for golf carts, off grid solar, industrial, etc.

I had not heard what kind of "problems" Trojan was having - that's news for the "Gold standard".
And the recommendation to look in Phoenix is appreciated too.
Thanks Scott!

I think you are making this over-complicated. Trojan has been the industry leader in the design & manufacturing of deep cycle batteries for over 50 years. When other brands want to establish their deep cycle battery legitimacy and quality, they compare themselves to Trojan. That's what is meant by the "gold standard".  It doesn't necessarily mean they are actually better, but they are viewed as the hallmark of the deep cycle breed.    Their factory is in Sante Fe Springs, CA. 

Concorde/Lifeline is an industry leader in sealed batteries, which they supply to the aircraft industry. Their AGM deep cycles are highly regarded for quality and reliability, perhaps because of the airplane tie-in. Again, not necessarily better than any other, but they have the track record whereas others may not.

Not all Sam's Club stores stock all battery types and sizes, or the same prices. Here is the Sam's Club page for the 6v AGM in the GC2 (golf car) size. A couple of my local (central Florida) Sam's carry them @ $179.73, no doubt because golf cars are numerous there. Maybe not so easy to find in Wyoming.  ;)
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-agm-golf-car-battery-group-size-gc2agm/prod3870119.ip

East Penn, Exide, Johnson Controls and US Battery all make deep cycles and AGMs in both 6v and 12v and most common sizes. They are the factory source for nearly all domestic battery brands sold in the USA, including Interstate, Die Hard, Everstart, Deka and other popular brands. US Battery is particularly well-known as a source for moderately priced 6v GC2 flooded cell batteries and they now produce AGMs as well.

Vision is a large Chinese battery maker and a volume manufacturer of VRLA (sealed) batteries, including AGMs. I have no reason at all to doubt their products, so if you can get Vision brand AGMs in the size you want and a price you are willing to pay, go for it. I would be amazed if they are the only brand of golf cart AGM battery available in Tucson. However, given that golf cars use 6 or 8 6v batteries and AGMs are pricey, I suspect most places are focused on flooded cells, which manage to hold up well in golf car use. More people vote with their wallet than by choosing the top quality at any price.

Hey Gary,

Wow what a comprehensive answer, I can see that you really took some time and thought to help. I hope dozens of other RV'ers find this thread and follow your guidance as I certainly will.

Appreciatively,
Bob

Gary is pretty much on target.  There are only 3 major battery manufacturers in the U.S.  Deka/East Penn, Exide, and Johnson Controls.  Virtually every battery you can buy will be made by one of these.  Commercially, I have hauled from all 3 of these manufacturers and the labels on the batteries are all over the map  For instance, Caterpilar gets all its batteries from Deka.  Duracell 12v and 6v versions are made by Deka also. Interstate is Johnson Controls as is Auto Zone.  O'Reilly is Deka. The old Sears Die Hard that we have all heard of at some time is make by Exide.  I am not positive, but if memory serves, Trojan is made by Exide.  I haven't hauled batteries in a few years and didn't make a note of who was making what for every brand out on the shelves.

All are fairly reliable if used and maintained properly.

I did 4 of the Sam's Club Duracell 6Vs a year ago (replacing the 2 12v NAPA GP batteries); also installed a new Sams Club 12v AGM for the chassis battery.  I also upgraded/changed out my converter/charger to a Boondocker BD1260C  (60 Amp 4-Stage Converter/Charger).  I have not had to add water since the installation, It is on shore power while in my garage for the winter - I check the batteries monthly.
I think some of the older motor homes have converters that just don't manage the batteries well.

bfrazier said:
Howdy,

Anyone who wants to recommend a pair of Sealed AGM 6 Volt Golf Cart Batteries is welcome to suggest away - I'm all ears and dizzy from all the choices.

Right now I'm looking at Fullriver's DC224-6  which is 224 Amp Hours at the 20 hour rate the cost is 323.95 each.

Choice due to very limited service access, a definite predisposition for boondocking, and a desire for solar sooner rather than later.

Thanks,
Bob

http://www.fullriverbattery.com/product/batteries/DC224-6

Best for the job or best for your pocket ?

best for the job, I would suggest Concorde Lifeline

best for your pocket, Duracell branded AGM or UB ( universal battery )

either type will service an RV comfortably, either type will fail if you don't keep them charged enough.
as a bonus, the Lifeline series can be equalized as well.. this helps to prolong their life before the inevitable sulfation
gremlin takes over..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom