Need small inverter to run tv and computers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

Looking for a low cost 600+ watt pure sine wave inverter.  It will only be used to power the computers and TV and maybe a fan or two at night.  Currently have two 12 volt Interstate Marine batteries and while they're still relatively new I may upgrade to two higher capacity 6 volt's.  The batteries are under one of the steps inside of the coach.  Not sure how I'll wire them but want the inverter as close to the batteries as possible.  Thinking maybe on the floor under the kitchen sink.  Another option is inside the bay next to the step well.  Then I'd run extensions cords into the coach.  Any ideas about size and location will be appreciated. 

Garyb1st

On our RV we dont power all the circuits with the inverter, so instead of using extension cords, I used these automatic transfer switches connected to the circuits I wanted to power.

https://www.thepowerstore.com/xantrex-prowatt-sw-15a-remote-transfer-switch?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxqiQ5-Gq1QIVK7HtCh1p3gtdEAYYBiABEgIRYfD_BwE

I switched both our TVs to Samsung 12 volt TVs, bought SONY Blu-Ray players that run off 12 volts for each, got a nice JVC stereo that runs off 12 volts, and got 12 volt power cords for our computers.  No inverters needed any more.  Much more efficient. 

Only things left that run on 110 volts are the microwave, AC, and a 6 gallon compressor I bolted into the rear storage compartment.  Just fire up the generator for those if I need even them at all.

AStravelers said:
A modified sine wave inverter will run those devices just fine.  600 Watts will work just fine. 

For the wire size use this wire size calculator: http://circuitwizard.bluesea.com/ 

Remember the length of the wire is the round trip to/from the battery to the inverter.

No I would not ever say a MSW inverter WILL run a TV.. This type of inverter is very noisy electronically and often interferes with the operation of a TV. EVEN IF THE TV IS IN THE RV NEXT DOOR.

Now some are well filtered and shielded and do indeed work well. But many are not and thus I recommend only a True Sine Wave.

Paul & Ann said:
On our RV we dont power all the circuits with the inverter, so instead of using extension cords, I used these automatic transfer switches connected to the circuits I wanted to power.

https://www.thepowerstore.com/xantrex-prowatt-sw-15a-remote-transfer-switch?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxqiQ5-Gq1QIVK7HtCh1p3gtdEAYYBiABEgIRYfD_BwE

Paul, how big is your inverter and how many of the transfer switches did you install?  Also, how difficult are they to install?

I started with a Xantrex 1000 watt and two transfers switches which covered most of the most often used outlets.  We have since upgraded to a 2000 watt inverter and have purchased two more transfer switches, but havent got them installed yet.

In our 2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J it was pretty easy to install as the batteries, the location for the inverter, the location of the power panel and location for the off/on switch were fairly close together and easy to access.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom