Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: TV Antenna  (Read 188 times)

rocknron

• ---
TV Antenna
« on: July 28, 2017, 09:02:55 AM »
Dose anyone know if the cable leading to the  tv antenna is replaceable. I changed my antenna last week to a newer one and the cable broke right where it comes out of the roof.

2004 Winnebago Adventurer
33v--8.1 workhorse Chassis

Alfa38User

• ---
Re: TV Antenna
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 09:07:19 AM »
Yes, if you replaced the batwing antenna, that cable goes to the little power supply (usually has a light and switch on it) first along with a cable TV connection (if equipped). It may be easy or hard, depending on where the pieces involved are located. Depending on the antenna that you replaced yours with, you may not even need that little supply. You can download the wire routing schematic's from the Winnibago site which may help.

You will have to take that plate off where it enters the roof (very carefully!!). Best case would be to add a "splice" (Barrel??) fitting right below that if the wire inside is in good shape.

(For example: My little power supply  is right below the antenna so to replace that wire, it is only 2 or 3 feet.)

Makes and models etc are useful when asking questions like this. (Old antenna, new antenna, etc.)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:11:23 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 10:05:05 AM »
What Stu said. It might be easier to just run a new cable. It's possible to splice coax cable (I've done it several times for non-critical applications) but it takes a bit of soldering finesse and that alters the electrical characteristic (impedance and probably velocity) of the cable.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 10:54:56 AM »
I would install a connecter on the end of the old wire inside the ceiling, If the cable is long enough to work with. Then just run a new wire to the antenna and connect the 2 with a male coupling fitting. Put the joint inside the roof.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

rocknron

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 11:30:08 AM »
Thanks Guys,I cornered a cable guy that was working on my street and ask him If i can use his tool to make a cable splice,He gave me the ends and the tool.I really don't want to disturb the roof.Ill let u know how it turns out
2004 Winnebago Adventurer
33v--8.1 workhorse Chassis

Hosted by Over The Network