White Knuckles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgcjeff

I've been lurking for sometime, finally I feel comfortable enough to ask a question. I have a 1998 Damon Ultra Sport 3670, CAT 275 HP, Allison transmission, Freightliner classis, Air suspension, 36Ft long. I have weighted the coach all for corners and have inflated tires to manufacture's PSI for the load. New alignment done this summer.  After about two hours of driving I'm done. Neck pain, back pain, you name it I've got it.  What can I do that will improve the suspension so I don't get the push pull from trucks and all the steering corrections. Love the coach once we reach our destination, but wonder if we will get there.
Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Jeff
mgcjeff
1998 Damon Ultra Sport. 

My TPMS sensors all read 4psi higher than a manual digital gauge.
Correcting this made a considerable difference in steering correction.
Not sure if this helps, but simple solutions are always preferable!

Funny, that was almost the exact same question I first asked about our Damon when I joined the Forum!

It wasn't uncommon for me to feel as though I was wrestling the wheel on our Damon Daybreak.  It fidgeted a lot, and was rough in wind.  I used the info in Gary's article (link in Alfa38's post), checked the tires, load distribution, and added a steering dampener.  I was getting ready to add the anti-sway bar when our mechanic suggested an alignment first.  He would look at the shocks, and make some recommendations.

When we had it aligned they checked the torque on the steering box and found it to be too tight.  They set the bolts to the proper torque and the problem was solved.  The whole thing cost $60 (plus the alignment).  I wish I could tell you specifically which of the bolts he had to adjust, I didn't think to ask.

While that wasn't the only handling problem we've had with our Damon, it was one that was easily fixed.  And, based on our experience I'd recommend Champion Frame & Alignment in Elgin, IL.

Hope that helps!
J

I just got back from a 800 mile trip, and the last 200 miles wore me out. Both of my Damon coachs on the P32 chassis puts this Dolphin to shame on a W22. Tire pressures are correct for the weight, and it has a safe-t-plus installed on it. Between the rutted lousy roads and the cross winds, this thing handles like crap. Passing trucks aren't a problem until I'm running in a head cross wind.

Missed the question about tire pressure speed and wind.
tire pressure front 90 rear 100,speed 60-65,yes there was wind
I was on I 69 southern Indiana, new road no traffic.

tire pressure front 90 rear 100,speed 60-65,yes there was wind

The tire psi numbers don't mean anything without tire size and corresponding axle or wheel weights, but it's unusual for the fronts to be lower than the rears.

Most DPs handle decently if the tire inflation is right and the air system working as designed (bags inflated and correct ride height). Unusual for someone to report white knuckles on a DP, so we are inclined to look for possible causes to fix rather than ride enhancements.  How close are the front & rear axles to their max (GAWR), or the whole coach to its GVWR? Are the tires original size? Highway or regional delivery application type rather than bus or traction tires?

Maybe a trip to the Freightliner Custom Chassis factory service in Gafney, SC, is in order. They can usually sort out chassis problems quickly, and their labor rates are much better than RV shops. And it rarely takes more than a day or two if you have an appointment.

Has anyone used the Performance Road Assessment? Mainline Truck and RV in Cleveland is an authorized shop. I'm guessing that tire pressure is one problem and ride height too. This motor home thing is so different than pulling a trailer.

Update: I went to Mainline Truck Trailer and RV in Bedford Ohio. Nick the service technician was great. I have a new coach. Drives great.  New shocks and motion control units for the air bags. The best assessment for any vehicle I have every had done. I can drive longer without being worn out. Final tire pressures are 85 front 95 rear. Nick said not what he would have expected. He weighed all four corners.

It's great you got things fixed up. As you no doubt found out, Gary was right, in that fixes for a gas coach rarely work for a DP with its air suspension. Now it sounds more like what we'd expect from a DP. Happy for you.

Back
Top Bottom