onan generator fuel filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clayh

hi all  i have an onan bge 4000 generator on a 1994 itasca . i want to know if i can install an inline fuel filter  in between the tank and the fuel pump. sounds practical but i dont know if the pump will have trouble getting suction. any help please

mine has a filter right at the generator.  An onan part that screws right into the fuel filter.

thanks i bought one at autozone but i believe i have a fuel pump going bad so i did not know if the inline filter was causing the trouble. i just replaced the fuel pump last year but afraid it is out again

A "bad fuel pump" is sometimes (often?) actually a bad fuel line, especially in older RVs, The fuel line from genset to tank gets tiny cracks or soft spots and the pump sucks air instead of fuel. Sometimes it is just intermittent air bubbles that cause stall-outs or low power. When I saw you had a '94 Itasca, I kind of guessed you might be having genset fuel flow problems.

Before you replace the pump again, run a new piece of fuel line from the filter inlet to a gallon fuel can and fire up the genset. If that works, you know the pump & filter are fine and the problem is the line to the tank. You can also run a line right from the pump to the fuel can and try it if you suspect the filter.

FWIW, I replaced a gravity fed filter with a filter from an automotive filter and the fuel would not flow enough to keep up with the carb. Had to go back to a lawnmower filter.....Just thinking that if a fuel filter is on the suction side and there is any resistance at all it will drop into a negative pressure, that would allow the fuel to vaporize at a lower temperature...probably just over thinking this......

thanks everyone  good info. gary you are exactly right .i jumped the gun and went  ahead and changed the darn fuel pump again! fortunatly i figured out how to do it without dropping the whole generator out of the bottom to access the fuel pump on the side . the problem still continued . i ran the generator with a gas can  and it runs fine. there is an issue with the feed lines or something in the tank  . i am concerned  though, in the line coming from the tank it has about a foot long section of hose right on top of the tank thats hard to get to.( any ideas welcome on how to change that section would be appreciated) then it goes to a hard line along the frame and then flexible to the generator i changed the line closest to the generator for now ill keep testing it .  i also filled the tank because my fuel gauge does not work thinking it might be below the pick up point for the generator . it took 20 gallons to fill it should have had at least 15 gallons left . thanks again for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom