State Highway 82 Montgomery to Wichita Falls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boptop

Leaving next week from Sarasota FL to Jackson WY and wanted to know what state highway 82 is like from Montgomery Alabama to Wichita Falls. Want to stay on state highways as much as possible.

Boptop, please report back about US 82. I'm planning a trip to Albuquerque. I'm thinking I'll use US82 also. I try to stay off the interstate highways.

US 82 is good through Greenville, MS, and from Texarkana, on to Wichita Falls.
The stretch through Arkansas is a bit "iffy" Though fairly well maintained, and beats running I-20 through Northern Louisiana if you're not in a hurry.
The Texas section is very nice once you pass New Boston.

As for west of Wichita Falls, 82 takes you to Lubbock. From there, take 84 through Ft. Sumner to Santa Rosa, and I-40 into Albuquerque. 

I've done 82 and much prefer us84 i like to avoid big cities and interstates i'm currently in Jackson Wy. and have made the trip from FL. 6 times on both roads  34" daybreak w/toad  avoid Shrevport like the plague I like to cross in Natchez Ms.(flat bridge,wide)

What is the time difference to Albuquerque US82 vs. US84? I'm assuming 84 is more scenic.

BTW, I'm heading to Jackson, Wy. Want to stay a few days in Santa Fe on the way. Then the Grand Canyon and north through Utah.

Boptop said:
What is the time difference to Albuquerque US82 vs. US84? I'm assuming 84 is more scenic.

US-82 fades south to Alamogordo after Lubbock.
84 goes NW to Santa Rosa, and then Northward to Las Vegas, NM and Santa Fe. Then up along the Rio Grand Valley into Colorado. It is a decent drive, but won't take you into Albuquerque

Boptop said:
BTW, I'm heading to Jackson, Wy. Want to stay a few days in Santa Fe on the way. Then the Grand Canyon and north through Utah.

Well, then, you're in luck. When you get to Lubbock, switch to 84. It takes you right to Santa Fe.

I think Capt likes 84 cause it runs through Southern Texas. Me, I like running through Northern Texas, where they still know what trees look like.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom