My first RV ever: Winnebago Chieftain 27ft. Should I go for it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

efra1223

Hey everyone,

Im looking for an RV. Ive driven them several times before but have never owned one. I have someone trying to sell a Chieftain for a pretty darn good price. Its a 1988 with new tires, new air conditioning, new backup camera, new batteries, new light fixtures, new tv, new blinds, new captain's chair and 100k miles on it.

Should I take the plunge? What should I look for before I go for this beast?

Attachments

• winnebago chieftain.jpg
    winnebago chieftain.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 92
Depends on how much it costs. Sounds like a lot of things are in good shape. What are they asking for it? Check the cooling system, the exhaust system, brakes batteries and signs of delamination and water damage.

John Hilley said:
Depends on how much it costs. Sounds like a lot of things are in good shape. What are they asking for it? Check the cooling system, the exhaust system, brakes batteries and signs of delamination and water damage.

Theyre asking 5k and all those checks are on my to-do list for when I go see it this weekend. Its from a guy who passed away.

I wouldn't use it as a get-a-way vehicle for a bank robbery.

Oldgator73 said:
I wouldn't use it as a get-a-way vehicle for a bank robbery.

Its perfect for Burning Man though!

Everyone charges thousands for renting an RV and I have room in drive and a budget so Id figured I just buy one instead of wasting it away on renting one...

Despite the claim of "new tires", check the dates on the tires themselves. Many MH tires look 'new' on the treads but are actually at the end of their practical life. 7 years old is about the maximum most consider safe.

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=202:tire-manufacturing-date-codes&catid=27&Itemid=132

Alfa38User said:
Despite the claim of "new tires", check the dates on the tires themselves. Many MH tires look 'new' on the treads but are actually at the end of their practical life. 7 years old is about the maximum most consider safe.

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=202:tire-manufacturing-date-codes&catid=27&Itemid=132

Thanx for the tip! :)

This RV will have issues getting to those campsite that imposes the 10yr old rule.
I will say if you go boondocking that paintjob will attract law enforcement .
Or buy it and have it wrapped..

I really doubt if it would attract law enforcement except out of curiosity. My Adventurer with stock paint is now 14 years old, I wouldn't even want to stay at an RV park that wouldn't allow me because of age.

"I wouldn't even want to stay at an RV park that wouldn't allow me because of age."

I'm 66 and have never been kicked out of a park. Well, there was that one time but they said after a year it would not show up on my record.

efra1223 said:
Hey everyone,

Im looking for an RV. Ive driven them several times before but have never owned one. I have someone trying to sell a Chieftain for a pretty darn good price. Its a 1988 with new tires, new air conditioning, new backup camera, new batteries, new light fixtures, new tv, new blinds, new captain's chair and 100k miles on it.

Should I take the plunge? What should I look for before I go for this beast?

With all that you listed that should have cost near the $5K their asking for it.  :eek:
If I was you, I think if it passed a brief once over and your still interested I would have a mechanic look it over even if it cost a couple
hundred to keep you from wasting $5K.
It maybe OK and maybe not.  Leaks are hard to fix.  Rust is not uncommon on a vehicle that old.

Ask for records - when was the oil and filters changed last?  Does it have a generator? That works?

Good luck.

Are you kidding me? You are looking at a 30 yr. old MH,
are you gonna camp in your yard. NO you are going to
take the family to FL. for a couple of wks. Better take a
couple of credit cards, and have you GOOD SAM road
side churance card.

This is not the way to start RV'n, IMHO!

I owned an 88 SUPER CHIEF always garaged and when
I sold it in 2002 it had started delamation above the
doors..... Sold it had near 100K miles needed a rear
seal, the head liner was the foam type that wasted away
with time. The guy that prrchase it called about 6 or so
months later ask me about the tires said they had plenty
of tread but was concerned about the BOD. Then I told
him about that RV tires most often aged out before they
wore out. Also my RV tires are inside a storage shed
and I run them form 8 to 10 yrs. if I see no cracking
around the bead.

MY VOTE IF I GET ONE IS ....DO NOT BUY A 30 YR. OLD MH!

tenn.vol.

Back
Top Bottom