Class A suggestions for 4 adults going cross country

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DTM

....Been looking at Class A's and havent found one yet that looks to sleep 2 married couples comfortably...any suggestions.  We are new to motorhomes....so we are thinking less than 40' and used and diesel....also are the couches really comfortable for day travel?

Both couples buy their own motor home  and caravan to destinations.  You remain friends that way.

We traveled cross-country with another couple in our Class C. Us in the back bedroom, them on the overhead bunk. During the day, the overhead bunk was used for storage.

Not something that would work full-time, but we went a couple of weeks without killing anyone.

ChasA said:
Both couples buy their own motor home  and caravan to destinations.  You remain friends that way.
X2!  Its not only the bed situation, it's trying to get 4 people through the showers and still have any day left.

Yeah,just sharing the bathroom will take forever each day.  And the couple that gets the foldout,how long before they get tired of it?  Will everyone want to get up at the same time?  Go to bed at same time?  Maybe a long weekend first to see how it goes?  Not impossible to do but,are you related?  How well do you really know each other?  How well do you WANT to know each other?

I don't want another married couple in my house that long much less in a one bedroom/one bath MH.

I have done two 6000 mile cross country trips and a 4000 travelling with my girl and another couple. One was over a month, one three weeks, and the other two weeks. Two of my friends have mhs. The first trip I didnt own my mh yet. This was the trip that got me hooked. A full pull out queen sized bed in the couch is more comfy than a jackknife sofa, but they take up more room when you pull it out. Travelling is another story. Most coaches have two front seats, a lazy boy swivel and the couch. Some or most have a table or dinette booth. This means one person has to sit on the couch, which is the least comfortable of the seats. Trading places occasionally will help with that. As far as showers and washroom duties, we stayed at campgrounds, so we just used the campground washrooms and showers. We pulled a car or had a secondary vehicle on all the trips, so was nice that the girls could go shopping while the two guys tinkered with the mh, or did set up or tear down. I enjoyed travelling with my friends. We took my mh for the three week trip. You have to be good natured, and be prepared to overlook small things that go wrong. If one person starts complaining, the whole trip could go sideways and you come home less friends than you started. It can be done, and I actually enjoy the company. It makes set up and tear down much easier. We had some mechanical issues on a few of the trips, and was nice to have someone to help with repairs. On our one trip in my mechanic friends mh, we blew the transmission 2000 miles from home. Being the ace mechanic he is, we ordered a new one to be delivered to a parking lot we made it to, and we changed it sitting on the side of a truck stop parking lot. Im sure his wife could have helped him, but was nice to have a buddy to assist with the hard jobs. Im sure most people are not changing trannys in a parking lot, but even the small jobs like hooking up the car, and setting up the coach at a campsite was easier and faster. Splitting on the expenses helps as well. Im much closer to both couples for the travelling we have done together and would do it again. This winter we are all taking our own mhs to Texas then to Arizona. This is because they are leaving earlier and at different times and we will meet in Texas. Our shorter trip was in a 34ft diesel bounder with no slide. Our one 6000 mile was in a 37 gas mh with one slide. Our other 6000 mile trip was in a 40 ft dp with two slides. Bigger is better when it comes to having company in a motorhome. The slides make for more elbow space when camped. Good luck and happy camping.

It depends on your ages. When we were much younger, we traveled with our good friends and shared a motel room to save money....two beds, of course. It worked fine. Once we all got older and had more money, we stopped sharing and got our own rooms. As to the comments about the bathroom, we've been in the MH anywhere from 1 week to 3 weeks with the son, DIL, & grandson and managed the bathroom fine. If you're young and adventurous, it could be fun.

As to a MH that would work - what about a bunk model? Again, don't know your ages, but I know I could get on the top bunk easily, and I'm 66.

I totally agree with the others about the problems, but muskoka gives a good perspective. It can be done if you are all cheerful and willing to make sacrifices in privacy and comfort. If you do, it can be a lot of fun. The problem is that it is nigh impossible to determine in advance if there will be friction.  Most friends don't have much experience sharing bathrooms, kitchens, and otherwise remaining in very close contact 24/7 for several days, and it's flat amazing what irritations can show up. And are inescapable until the end of the trip.  That's the "lose a best friend" potential and is both real and likely.

The better grade of coaches usually have decent sleeper sofas, but again personal needs vary and an uncomfortable bed is a major source of a grumpy companion. Few coaches have comfortable seating for 4 for all day travel several days in a row.

I think you should make 40ft a minimum for 4 people and consider larger. Again, peoples space needs vary, but even two people will trip over each other a lot in 35 ft. If this is the first experience at living in close quarters for either or both of you, think bigger. A 40 ft motorhome is still only about 320-360 sq ft. Your living room is probably larger than that.

It really depends on how you want to travel, but I would seriously consider a 2007-2009 Safari Simba FD 38STS if you can find one, it is a toy hauler model that can fit a smart car in the garage, has a queen side loft bed in the garage and another queen loft bed in the living room area, 4 captains chairs for traveling, and separate side entrance for the garage / bedroom.

You may want to schedule some time do each couple can be alone.  That is a lot of time to be together 24/7!

KandT said:
You may want to schedule some time do each couple can be alone.  That is a lot of time to be together 24/7!
You can always rent a motel room for a night or two, or some campgrounds like KOA have small cabins on site you can rent.

Another factor that I haven't seen mentioned here: I usually wake up early, often before 5:00 AM, rarely after 5:30 AM, and staying in bed for a couple of hours 'til someone else wakes up is not an option -- I have to get up, or have a very miserable time tossing and turning, since I can't get back to sleep and I'll have back pains, etc. And when I get up I need my coffee, seating and lighting to read or run the computer, etc.

So late sleepers vs. early risers is another potential problem with multiple couples. And how about those who wake to nature's call a couple of times at night (diabetes, old age, etc.), but would have to go through the bedroom of the other couple to get to the john.

What kind of mh would you have to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. Any I have seen with ensuite bathrooms also have a half bathroom at mid ship. All the  coaches I have seen have mid bathrooms with the master bedroom at the back. As far as sleeping in, you all have to get on the same page. Go to bed at roughly the same time, and get up at the same time.

We traveled most days, so everyone up, coffee on, then hit the road. We would either make breakfast on the go, or stop after a few hours for something.

muskoka guy said:
What kind of mh would you have to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. Any I have seen with ensuite bathrooms also have a half bathroom at mid ship. All the  coaches I have seen have mid bathrooms with the master bedroom at the back. As far as sleeping in, you all have to get on the same page. Go to bed at roughly the same time, and get up at the same time.

I used the term "bedroom" for each sleeping area so, for example, the Bounder I used to have had a rear bedroom but the bathroom was forward enough to be near the couch used for a second sleeping area. And this certainly doesn't apply to ALL coaches, but it's still a consideration. The "get up early" thing, though, DOES apply to all coaches that I've seen, since the living area is also the "second bedroom."

muskoka guy said:
We traveled most days, so everyone up, coffee on, then hit the road. We would either make breakfast on the go, or stop after a few hours for something.

But not everyone is that way -- even on travel days we may not start before 9 or 10 AM. The OP has to sort through these comments and determine which, if any, of them apply in their case.

Larry N. said:
But not everyone is that way -- even on travel days we may not start before 9 or 10 AM. The OP has to sort through these comments and determine which, if any, of them apply in their case.
This is true. It depends on your schedule, how far you want to travel in one day ect. On travel days we tried to leave early as opposed to driving later into the evening. We tried to get to our destination around 3 oclock. This left a little time for exploring in the car and plan our next day. I would say whoever is sleeping in the front area should be prepared to be woke up with the first up. Ownership has its privileges and sleeping in a bit is an option if you are in the rear bedroom. Thats why we have taken each others mhs on different trips. It changes each time. This winter will be the first time all of us have taken our own. It might be more difficult to find camping spots trying to fit three in. It certainly will cost more for 3x camping, 3x fuel, but hopefully will be 3x the fun as we have always went as two couples in different arrangements each time.

Let's clear the air about any motorhome.  There should be a high cubic feet per minute exhaust fan in the bathroom to prevent any blushing.  No motorhome is big enough unless you are awefully close friends with the couple!  Maybe some music playing while someone is answering natures call!

Back
Top Bottom