Shocks/struts on my 07 Tundra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

603Country

Wife and I have a new TT (26 foot), which we will tow with our 07 Tundra (5.7 engine) with factory towing package. Mileage on the truck is 130,000. I had it checked out at the dealer, all service has been done, and brakes are practically new. What I didn't ask to be looked at are the shock/struts, and 130,000 seems like a lot of miles on the originals. I'll probably have them replaced, so the question I have is: what to replace them with? Do I go with OEM, which I assume are towing rated, or go with struts that are more suited to long distance towing of a trailer? What do you Tundra owners have on your trucks? Or what do you wish you had?

Thanks for your help.

Kirk

I'd say new struts on the front at 130k as a matter of course, and new shocks too while you are at it. Just new shocks on the ear, which is probably a leaf spring suspension rather than strut back there. The OEM specs for the parts are fine and are tuned to the truck suspension, regardless of any tow package. Shocks don't carry weight - they are anti-bounce devices.

I can't say enough good about Bilstein products. I've run them on multiple vehicles, including my current truck I've mentioned in one of your other threads. Pretty sure Toyota are running Bilstein on some of their TRD packages. Anyway, they'll improve handling and stability and I think you'll be impressed with their performance.

I went by the Toyota service dept that's been servicing my truck for a few years and discussed the shocks/struts. The guy I talked with is a TT guy, and he suggested that I go with OEM instead of using the TRD spec Bilsteins. Says I don't need the TRD gear since my relatively small TT won't overwork the OEM gear.

Bilstein offer their own replacement line; I wasn't necessarily recommending the TRD-spec stuff from your dealer. It's common knowledge, in the offroad world, the TRD stuff is garbage, anyway. Have a look at Bilstein's online catalog, write down the part numbers, go to Summit Racing and enter those part numbers in their search engine. They're as inexpensive as anyone I've seen and ship for free. The Bilstein replacement products are far superior to OEM replacements and probably less expensive.

I had the shocks/struts replaced today with OEM gear. Yes, I can now tell that I was due for new shocks/struts. New tires also (10 ply class E Michelins), and had the front end examined carefully. Brakes are new. TT will be ready, after warranty work, on Friday. We'll see how she tows now.

Went and got the trailer today. Big difference in how it felt to tow. The new 10 ply tires and the shocks and struts brought the stability I wanted with my Tundra. No more squishy feeling and no porpoising.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom