7-Pin Trailer Socket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phil-t

Just purchased (and will bug the dealer with this, for sure) 2010 Winnebago Vista 32K on a ford F53 Chassis.
After leaving the dealer's lot, 125 miles to home, we made our first stop at a rest area to check on things - tires etc.  We had our toad attached as well.  I was checking the lights and found that we had no tail lights on the toad.
After we got home, I was checking things and found no power on the running lights connector at the 7-Pin socket on the MH.
Called the dealer and have not heard back, yet.  Also an email to Winnebago support, have had a couple message exchanges so far.  Anyways, I have done hours of research on the trailer connector of the MH.  Found one 20A fuse (under the hood) that was bad) replaced and still no power at the connector.  There are other fuses noted on the F53 chassis but I can not find them.
Anyone else have any experience with this?  There is a fuse block inside, up front to the left of the brake and steering column but it does not have anything related to the trailer connector.  The F53 manual talks about another fuse panel up there that has a trailer connector running lights fuse but I can not find it.

Are you sure that there is no power coming out of the pin on the MH?  If so you may need to remove the connector, take it apart  and check to see that the wire carrying power is still well attached.  If that wire going to the connector has no power you will need to see where it is attached to derive power and fix that connection on your MH.  If you check again and see that there is power to the pin, but it is not transferring across the connector, the problem could be with the connector.

I am not sure which brand 7-pin connector you have, but I had one made by Pollak.  It was working fine for a while and then on one trip the running lights failed to work reliably.  When I wiggled the connector these would come on and go off.  For this style connector the pins are split in the middle. You can put a very skinny screwdriver in the split and spread this pin ever so slightly to tighten the connection. Perhaps that is your issue.  One warning, don't get too carried away with spreading any pin since metal can fatigue and half the pin can break off (voice of experience) and you will be replacing the entire connector.

I think your instrument panel will lift up. Below the panel is a Ford fuse panel. The fuse for the lights MAY be there.

ChasA said:
I think your instrument panel will lift up. Below the panel is a Ford fuse panel. The fuse for the lights MAY be there.

If it were the fuse wouldn't th erunning lights on the RV also be out?

I'll try the instrument panel.  The fuse I'm looking for is specifically for the running lights circuit to the 7 pin connector.  No power on the wire going into the connector.
I'm using a good fluke test set for troubleshooting this.

I did find the fuse - up front in the engine compartment - a 20A maxi fuse.  Replaced and now have 12V at the proper pin of the trailer socket when the RV lights are on.  Still a"ring" that circuit out on the car.  If I can't get it, the dealer will be seeing my face soon.  8)  My problem with the dealer is that they are 125 miles away.  Calling the tech that did the install today.
I suspect there is/was a short, somewhere, now an "open"; that caused that 20A fuse to blow.

Someone already advised you to take the plug loose and examine the connections, for good reason. All it takes is one strand of loose wire the person performing the wiring missed,which can vibrate and touch a different wire, BAM blown fuses.

Ray said:
Someone already advised you to take the plug loose and examine the connections, for good reason. All it takes is one strand of loose wire the person performing the wiring missed,which can vibrate and touch a different wire, BAM blown fuses.
Thanks.  Been there - checked both ends and connectors.  The dealer is getting it back.

So - after an hour at the dealer, they isolated the tail light circuit on the car and found it shorted to ground!  The "helper" tech "pinched" the tail light wire behind the screw he used for the ground wire attachment, and it was "hidden" behind a panel in the rear of the car.  :-\

Back
Top Bottom