Campground and other recommendations for Big Bend Natl Park visit late Sept

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Becks said:
Lajitas  Resort

It looks beautiful but what we're looking for are more primitive sites that will give us more of an opportunity to experience the park, something I certainly should have mentioned when I asked for suggestions. I'm very early in the search through the National Park campgrounds but so far have found only roadside, roads requiring high clearance, or sites not adequate for a 38' motorhome. Hoping there are those who have found some nice locations that would work.

We haven't been there for a few years but stayed once at the Rio Grande Village RV Park.  It's not as fancy as Lajitas.

ArdraF

Inside the park you are limited to Rio Grande Village Campground.  Unless things changed, there is a section with elect and water (back in sites parking lot style) and a nicer section with water and allows generator 8am to 8pm.  Park does not open till Sept. 1.  www.nps.gov/bibe

DO NOT TRY  to go to Chisos Basin campground even though it is in the park.  The road is NOT recommended for vehicles over 20 feet length.  The roads are very very very tight turns.  Told close road for ranger to get their trailer up.

Cottonwood Campground Santa Elina Canyon - no hookups, no generator, 24 sites no reservations. 

Jennifer

ferfer said:
Inside the park you are limited to Rio Grande Village Campground. 

That would explain why I haven't found anything

ferfer said:
Inside the park you are limited to Rio Grande Village Campground.

Reviews for Rio Grand are less than stellar, guess I'll be looking outside the park (which is very disappointing). I assumed a visit to Big Bend would include being parked inside the park and waking up in a beautiful dry camping spot to the views I've heard about. Unfortunately looks like the park is really setup for tenters which is of course fine but sounding like seeing it in a motorhome will be more of a "park some distance away and drive there every day" type visit. Early yet and I'd love to hear more from those that have been there but TBH starting to rethink the visit as it adds considerable distance to our trip.

Scott, 

Considering where Rio Grand campground is located, we did not find it disappointing.  We stayed in the parking area because I wanted electric and air conditioner.  The section without electric is much nicer with generous space between units and trees -- more rustic feel. IMHO it has nicer sites then Lajitas Resort but WITHOUT the amenities.  If you can do without electric (AC) it is really not a bad place to go.  Check the average temperature for your target date in September as I think it may be hot. 

Also be aware that you most likely will not have cell phone service at Rio Grand but you may can get connected at the store.

You will be driving as Big Bend is BIG  ;D

Jennifer

Sun2Retire said:
A great article, thanks!
No problem. Campendium is really good, especially for national forest and boondocking and it lets you put in options. Hope you find a good spot, let us know!

I'm aware of the general dog policy in national parks but we've had pretty good luck with state parks. Any idea what the situation is with Big Bend State Park re dogs?

Sun2Retire said:
I'm aware of the general dog policy in national parks but we've had pretty good luck with state parks. Any idea what the situation is with Big Bend State Park re dogs?
Dogs are fine in campgrounds, but not in the primitive sites on the gravel roads and not on the trails. 

Do NOT leave your dog tied up outside the RV unattended.  Javelinas (pig like animal) wander through the CG's.  While they normally are not aggressive unless attacked or cornered bad things happen with dogs.  As the Javelina walks by the dog will normally start barking.  The Javelina feels like they are being attacked and will attack the dog as a group.  Since the dog can not get away as it is tied up, the dog may be killed.  There are warning signs in the CG's about this. 

Late September in Big Bend is still pretty hot.  At Rio Grande Village expect afternoons to be at 90-95.  Late October through November is much better. 

Generators are not allowed to be used in the primitive campsites.

Campgrounds in Big Bend:

Campgrounds at Rio Grande Village (RGV) tend to be confusing. 

There is a small concession operated full hook up CG run by the store/gas station.  It is an asphalt parking lot and the sites are pretty cramped. 

There is a large 100 campsite CG operated by the National Park.  Dry camping only.  Generators allowed on one area and a no generator area.  About 60-70% of the sites are large enough for 35-40' rigs.  A few will handle 45' rigs.  This is a very nice CG with nice large cottonwood trees which provide some shade.

NOTE:  When reading reviews for RGV CG's be sure which CG is being reviewed, dry camping or FHU.  I have seen reviews for the FHU CG in the dry CG review sections. 

Cottonwood CG near Santa Elana Canyon is nice and usually quiet CG.  Dry camping only and no generator use allowed.  About an hour or more drive from the Headquarters at Panther Junction. 

Primitive campsites.  There are a few primitive campsites on the gravel roads.  Some are in the website given earlier, which I think you looked at.  In addition to the ones in the website, there are two more at "K-Bar" which are accessible by RV's up to 35-40'.  Check out Hanold Draw as well.  However no dogs or generator operation allowed in the Primitive campsites.  Grapevine hills #2 & 3 are a few miles down a gravel road which may have washboard. 

Chisos Basin CG.  MH's over 24' and trailers over 20' not recommended.  Partly because of sharp turns.  But more so because the campsites are small, short and unlevel.

As stated earlier, September is still pretty hot in Big Bend.  Either stay the the RGV FHU CG or stay outside the park in Study Butte/Terlingua, or out the N entrance at Stillwell. 

Download the park newspaper here:  https://www.nps.gov/bibe/learn/news/newspaper.htm for lots of great info. 

Back
Top Bottom