EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Class A..diesel vs gas thoughts please  (Read 343 times)

DTM

• ---
Class A..diesel vs gas thoughts please
« on: July 29, 2017, 03:49:22 PM »
So much research to do....this forum is so knowledgable ......gas powered seems to be more affordable right off the bat, but in the long run, does it save you money?  Are repairs the same for them both?  I have been told the diesel engine lasts longer, but in reality how many miles does one really put on a class A over its ownership?

TonyDtorch

• ---
Re: Class A..diesel vs gas thoughts please
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 04:16:15 PM »
IMO
Motorhomes only come in two basic classes.  Newer ones,  and Older ones.

Get the best newest one you can afford,   gas or diesel.

johnaye

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 04:26:36 PM »
In the past two years I have had a gas Class A then a Diesel Class A.  I really prefer the diesel.  Smoother quieter ride a little better milage.  Downsides are diesel costs more to buy and more to maintain.  Diesel also drives a little differently than gas, at least mine does.  In the gas the front wheels were in font of me.  In the diesel, they are behind me.  My recommendation is to figure out how much you can spend.  Look hard at both gas and diesel in your price range and go with the one you feel will give you like better.  If you can I would also recommend an extended warranty.  I purchased one from the dealer where I bought my unit.  The warranty cost about $3,800 and has a $200 deductible.  I know some on the forum recommend against warranties, but I have already recovered the cost of my warranty and it has two years to run.

John and Becky
2004 Alfa See Ya DP
John and Becky
2004 Alfa See Ya DP
2008 Honda CRV

Mile High

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 06:21:18 PM »
Try a couple of each in your price range so you can see what you like/dislike on each. 
Brad and Dory
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E (new to us 2016)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
FMCA 457993 / WIT W170238
Denver, CO

RedandSilver

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 08:57:03 PM »
So much research to do....this forum is so knowledgable ......gas powered seems to be more affordable right off the bat, but in the long run, does it save you money?  Are repairs the same for them both?  I have been told the diesel engine lasts longer, but in reality how many miles does one really put on a class A over its ownership?

There are other things to think about.

One is if you are thinking about towing a car or truck behind the MH.  If you are even thinking someday I might tow are car, then the diesel is
a better choice IMO.  For one thing you can fuel up in the truck lanes which almost always have straight pull-throughs compared to gas stations that my not have those.  And in case you didn't know you can't back up a car behind a MH (maybe a few feet is all) which is another reason for a pull-through which is the norm with a Diesel unit.  Hard to put a price on this feature.  Another is torque in a diesel is much more than most any gas unit available - just the nature of the beast.  So going up hills is easier and quite compared to most gas units.  Over all diesels should be quite because they turn lower RPM's and the engine is in the rear.  Again hard to put a price on sound quality or lack of sounds compared to noisy gas units many times because a gas engine is normally up front.

Most diesels will carry more then most gas units.  IF you are looking for a 38ft unit and up it is likely to be a diesel.  36ft and under could be a gas or diesel.  So usually when you make a decision on the size that may make the choice for you on a diesel vs. gas unit.

Yes in most cases a diesel will cost more - but the advantages outweigh the cost differences for most people that choose to go with a diesel.   
2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 09:21:22 PM »
IMO..Layout and features,  are more important than engine type.  I'd buy the motorhome that suites your living needs the best and chances are whatever engine it has will get you there.

It's often said on here,  "a motorhome is 95% living and 5% driving".

If you want it to pull a full size car up to camp on top of Pikes Peak,   then it's gotta be diesel.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 09:38:15 PM by TonyDtorch »

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 09:13:28 AM »
Since a modern gas engine is good for 200k+ miles, longevity is not really a consideration.  Diesel engine/chassis maintenance costs more than gas engine chassis, but relatively little of the difference is strictly engine. If one compared a diesel class C to a gas C, probably not much difference.

On a practical level, it's a myth that diesel engines last longer. Most diesel engines are designed to be internally rebuildable rather than throw away, but that's hardly a concern for low mileage RVs. The chances that you will wear out a piston or crank shaft are slim & none. Much of what we RV drivers think of as "engine" is no different on a diesel than a gas engine, e.g. starter, alternator, water pump, radiator, fuel pump, drive belts, etc. They wear out on about the same schedule and leave you just as stranded when it happens.

Diesel engines are more suitable for heavier motorhomes, say 25,000 lbs and up, so that's what you are going to find if you look at the larger and better equipped rigs. In the 22k-26k weight range you may find some gas and some diesel rigs, but it will be exclusively diesel above 26k.

You may find a few front engine diesel (aka "FRED") coaches that are essentially identical to gas coaches in all other regards. I think those are a good choice, but they didn't catch on with the RV buying public and are not common on the used RV lots. Tiffin Allegro Open road was the most common model.

There are, however, some reasons for choosing a diesel pusher coach vs a gas chassis one. The overall chassis is designed and built to carry more weight and do it smoothly. Air suspension and air brakes is one big difference, as is chassis rigidity, and the bigger DP chassis will generally have the superior Allison 3000 or 4000 series heavy duty "million mile" transmission. You will pay more up front and over the years in maintenance, but you will enjoy the superior capability and drivability. And since the DP is in a more upscale price class to begin with, many of the coaches built on a DP chassis will be made with better quality materials and construction, e.g. cabinets, furnishings, flooring, etc. But as with anything else, there will always be cheap models as well as good ones.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Mile High

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 02:53:36 PM »
As far as features and build, if you took the gas engine range and put it on top of the diesel range of models, the gas tends to start entry level and stop high midrange, and the diesel tends to start low midrange and finish out the top level units.  The overlap in the middle can really offer some good features on a chassis with either power train.  Once you get longer and heavier, you are limited to diesel.
Brad and Dory
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E (new to us 2016)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
FMCA 457993 / WIT W170238
Denver, CO

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 04:34:08 PM »
Here is a link to the same  conversation. It is an age old question for rvs.     
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,103156.msg929710.html#msg929710

Hosted by Over The Network