Northern CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mud Puppy

I am in northern CA, Westwood to be exact. When I leave here I am going to OR. I want to get to Hwy 101 near Crescent City. There does not seem to be a lot of choices. Hwy 36 sounds horrible, 299 out of Redding does not sound much better. I could take i5 to Grants Pass and back down on 199. Anyone have any advise? Thanks

Just did 299 from Arcata to Redding. Curvy with some grades but no problem.

When we lived in Redding, 299 from Redding to Arcata always seemed easier than Arcata to Redding, probably because you're next to the mountain instead of next to the drop off into the canyon. 

I will be pulling my 32 ft 5er am concerned about sharp curves. A few years ago I would have thought nothing of it, but with age comes caution. Thanks

If by "sharp" you mean hairpins, there aren't any that I recall

Anytime you have to cross mountains, there have to be curves to get you up or down.  I don't remember any hairpin curves on 299.  I have one disclaimer, however.  Tom and I grew up driving in the mountains.  I once routed a very good friend from NY over this route from Arcata to Redding.  He was very uncomfortable, but he made it!  Really, it's very doable.  Just relax, enjoy the scenery, and don't let curves make you apprehensive.  Log trucks run this route every day and they're a lot longer and heavier than your rig.

299 is scenic and very doable, just be patient and don't push hard on the grades. Hills and curves are part of everyday life in the mountains and shouldn't be feared if common sense is applied. Slow down and gear down at the top of steep grades, use the brakes sparingly to keep speed within manageable limits. DON'T ride or continually pump them.

Back
Top Bottom