Tent/Truck Camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OutdoorFT

Since I cannot afford an RV at this time, I want to at least be able to get out camping to get away from everything. Due to no storage or wanting to pay for storage, cant get a popup or small TT for now.

So I was thinking...get a nice tent, air mattress and ill be good to go. what I need help with is recommendations on a tent. It'll only be 2 people, but we would like extra space in case weather is poor and we are stuck inside (like an RV). Thinking minimum 6 person tent.

But also saw some things on truck camping. I have an 8ft bed, would fit us both fine. But seems those tents are lacking in space in the height department. so wanted opinions on that, but were more interested in a tent.

We were looking at the Intex 22" height queen size air mattress. for the price and reviews, seems like a good one. Opinions on that would also be appreciated.

Thanks for your help

There are truckbed tents that have add on ground tents available. You use the truck as the bedroom and the ground tent for a small table and chairs.  Then you can add a "screen porch" with a 10x10 or 12x12 freestanding canopy.

With a truck/ground combination you won't have the problem from another thread about "site stealers". To go sightseeing you would unzip the ground tent, pack down the truck part, and go.

The whole rig would pack down and ride in the bed of the truck. And stow in the garage or a closet at home.

That could work. I do like the advantage of the truck bed not being on the ground.
Do you have any recommendations for those combos?

ALso, site stealers? I didnt see that thread.

OutdoorFT said:
That could work. I do like the advantage of the truck bed not being on the ground.
Do you have any recommendations for those combos?

ALso, site stealers? I didnt see that thread.

Yeah. Site Stealers. When you don't have a toad or trailer to leave at the site, you unhook, leave a chair or something to mark your site, go sightseeing, and when you get back to camp someone has pushed your stuff aside and taken the spot. Happens in campgrounds where you don't have assigned sites.

Quick Google search brought up one brand (Napier Sportz) that are around $130 to $200 for the truck tent part and $175 for the 4 person add on.

We still tent camp when we canoe camp, and we tent camped for years before getting our first pop up. I really like Kelty and REI tents. Just go to a good outdoor store and look at their displays. Talk to someone knowledgeable about what type of camping you intend on doing, and listen to their recommendations. There are trade offs to make. For example, a tall tent is more comfortable to stand up in, but it is more likely to get in trouble in big winds. Lots of net windows can be cool, but they can also let in rain during a big storm. Fiberglass poles are less expensive but more likely to break. And those are just a few of the trade offs! There isn't one tent that is good for everyone.

I wish we had a good outdoor store. All we have is Dicks or other big names with less than helpful employees.

Maybe Ill find a way to get a small tt or a popup. Call in some favors :)
Might look ridiculous behind my F350 but oh well :D

OutdoorFT said:
Maybe Ill find a way to get a small tt or a popup. Call in some favors :)
Might look ridiculous behind my F350 but oh well :D

Some on this forum say you can't have too much truck. Wonder why they don't pull their rigs with Freightliners or Peterbuilts.

I've had a truck bed tent and used it once before selling it. The problem is that it is attached to your truck and has very little room. If you want to go somewhere you have to break the camp down and then put it back together again. I have a TT but also have both an outfitters canvas tent and a Cabela's Instinct Alaskan 6 person tent. This tent is actually a two person tent that can hold two large cots, or Queen sized mattress, plus it has a vestibule. Cabela's has it on sale for $499. This is a four season tent that I use for Elk Hunting during November and we use it in small campgrounds that do not allow TT's in the mountains of TN during the summer. Good luck with your search.   

Oldgator73 said:
Some on this forum say you can't have too much truck. Wonder why they don't pull their rigs with Freightliners or Peterbuilts.
I wouldn't want to maintain those things!

ro1459 said:
I've had a truck bed tent and used it once before selling it. The problem is that it is attached to your truck and has very little room. If you want to go somewhere you have to break the camp down and then put it back together again. I have a TT but also have both an outfitters canvas tent and a Cabela's Instinct Alaskan 6 person tent. This tent is actually a two person tent that can hold two large cots, or Queen sized mattress, plus it has a vestibule. Cabela's has it on sale for $499. This is a four season tent that I use for Elk Hunting during November and we use it in small campgrounds that do not allow TT's in the mountains of TN during the summer. Good luck with your search.   
I couldn't fibd the sale you speak of. found it for $700

If you go to the REI website they have product demos and "how to choose the right gear" videos. I am sure you can have stuff shipped or find the same brand on line cheaper. REI is a bit pricey but they have quality stuff.

The $700 version is with Aluminum poles. I got the fiberglass ones and they work great. I only use the tent two weeks during November and then once or twice during the summer. If you plan on using it more than that you may want to consider paying the extra. This is an outstanding tent and with a Mr. Buddy (made for a tent) it kept the tent hot. I had to open all of the top vents and turn the heater to low to sleep. The temp got down to 20 degrees at night. Read the reviews about the six man tent and you can believe them. Mine is from Tennessee Elk Hunter. Best wishes.

I watched this youtube video several years ago.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jni3E67sDsI  She made a truck tent out of PVC pipe, a tarp and bungee straps.  I copied and modified her design and have made several for friends and family and I carry one in my truck most of the time.  An air mattress between the wheel wells, blankets or sleeping bags and you're set.

I used furniture PVC connectors for a cleaner look but it's not necessary.  Breathable ponchos for the front and rear covers.  On mine I built extensions for the tailgate for the extra length.  Works well, without heat, down to about 50 degrees.  Use a cooler for a step.    Want more room? Set up a pop up canopy, Coleman made one with side and or screens.    I did some mods to the ponchos so they could be hung easier.. and added more grommets  to the tarp. Used non-metal hooked bungee cords so you won't scratch the truck sides. 
Add an extension cord, a trouble light and a fan if you have access to 110V ac.  We have used our half dozen times for overnight trips where we didn't want to pull the 5'r
I think that I have less than $125.00 invested.  Walmart for the tarp and the ponchos. Lowes for the PVC and bungees cords.  Lowes and Amazon for the fittings.

Wi1dBi11   

yes, REI has good stuff, and good reference advice on their site too.

For what I call tailgate camping though (camping where you don't have to carry your stuff) I think the cheaper options from say walmart, Dicks, etc... can be fine, if you get a design that you like.

When DW & I got married, she had a cheap three man tent from Big Lots.  I had a very expensive 3 man Kelty tent.  Mine would stand up to a gale on a mountain top....but the thing is we weren't going there!  Hers was easier to set up, more headroom, and we used it for many years while mine rotted away in the attic.

I ordered an ALPS Mountaineering Meramac 3 Tent, for my son to use in Scouts.  I personally like this style of fly...more of a double wall (screening on tent comes down low on walls, and fly comes down lower to cover) as opposed to many that have only a small amount of screening up high with a small little fly....more similar to a single wall tent (Wenzel Ridgeline 3 Person Tent as an example)

Now it sounds like you want something much larger than this, but it's just an example. 
Alps makes ok stuff

I'd stay away from the "Instant" or EZ Up types.  I've seen many of these fail in Scouts
and if given a choice I'd prefer alloy poles over fiberglass

For cabin type tents, REI's Kingdom series seems good.  I know a couple folks with those, easy enough to set up and they seem to be holding up.

Oh, and regarding the tent-in-a-truck styles.  I've never used them or owned one, but have seen a few in campgrounds.  A couple comments for thought;
- what do you do if you want to drive to town.... or even a shorter distance say within the park to a beach or something?
- several of the state parks around here have tent sites, where you park and carry your stuff to set up a very short ways in the woods.  Not far like backpacking, just maybe 20 ft to maybe 100 ft.  Those tent sites are often much nicer than the RV sites...and sometimes more available (easier to reserve)

Personally, I wouldn't consider one at all, and instead go with a separate tent.

I prefer canvas tents either made from cotton or a cotton/poly combination canvas.

Canvas tents are good for car camping, some are made light and small  enough for back packing.

The car camping tents I'm failure with are Springbar, Kodiac Flex Bow and Turbo Tent.

However new prices are going to exceed many of the less expensive synthetic tents such as dome style and cabin types.

Nylon tents require less maintenance and are usually less expensive, whereas canvas types require more care and need to be stored dry due to mildew. Nylon tents unless has a good vent design often doesn't breath. When looking for any tent determine if it's well ventilated even when it's pouring down rain outside. The problem with some tents is they trap moisture and become potentially become very humid and uncomfortable. Canvas tents normally are less of a problem and usually able to breath better.

I've had different dome tents from REI, but the ones I purchased were for backpacking, where we would go on 80 - 100+ mile hikes in the Cascades and other mountain ranges. I purchased my first dome tent in the 70's and they became very popular. However many never had adequate venting. Newer dome tents have improved designs and usually vent better but their costs have significantly gone up.

As I'm much older now I usually car camp and take day hikes from a base camp and hav currently invested  in canvas tents. Though I prefer canvas cabin tents, many are heavier and more difficult to setup and move around. So I started looking at the more easy to setup tents such as Springbar, Flex Bow, Turbo tent.
_____

Over the past several years I've come across good deals on Springbar, Flex Bow, Turbo tents and a few older canvas tents.

Turbo Tent  comes in both nylon and a cotton poly canvas. The Turbo Tents are not a gimmick easy setup tent these are well made tents, able to withstand fairly high winds as long as tied down with their included tent ties.

The base is waterproof approx. approx. a foot up the sides and they're very easy to setup _ less than 5 mins for one person. Though don't come with a large rainfly because of how they're designed, are good in stormy/rainy weather.

You can sometime find good deals on tents at 50 percent of their original cost.

eBay has a Black Pine Sports TURBO LITE 210 Lightweight 4-SEASON 3-PERSON TENT New! for  $189.99 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Pine-Sports-TURBO-LITE-210-Lightweight-4-SEASON-3-PERSON-TENT-New-/292124527864?epid=1469788065&hash=item4403fa8cf8:g:urgAAOSwZ4dZIL5E

I have one of these that's the 6 person version 10' x 10'. Even though tents makers may say they're tent is a 4 person tent. I find a 10 x 10 6 person large enough for one or two people.

I recommend  when looking for a car tent look for the largest one with enough headroom to stand up, change clothes, etc. When the tent manufactures have a rating for the number of occupants it's usually the number of sleeping bags that will fit into a tent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Pine-PineDeluxe-4-Person-Turbo-Tent-New-/361978145121?hash=item5447942961:g:y4MAAOSwfRdZFg5G

If can't afford a canvas tent then look for a cabin style nylon tent with additional rooms, where other items can be stored, can also be used for more privacy, etc. while inside a tent.

Back
Top Bottom