Storing Propane tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The road calls to me

We bought a nice 2 burner grill with a griddle set up that can be used with a 20lb tank. But I would like to know is safe to store propane tanks in the storage compartments? And should I vent it? I did a short run this week put it a plastic crate and stuffed it so it would not move. Of course the gas was off. Any thoughts is welcome.

Storage for those tanks should be vented. Since propane is heavier than air, the vent has to be low down. Why not modify (add to) the current propane tank high pressure output in your motor home and simply plug into it for outside propane use rather than carry that additional tank???

Storage for those tanks should be vented.

Make that MUST be vented.  All DOT LP bottles (e.g. the 20# BBQ tank) are designed to release LP vapor if they get too hot, so regulations require that the compartment they are in vented. Rare, but it could happen. More likely is a leak in a valve that is not quite closed or maybe damaged.

The venting need not be fancy - several holes in the bottom of the compartment will probably do the trick LP is heavy, as he said. However, an opening in the side of the compartment to let air in is a plus.

The road calls to me said:
Alfa38User sounds like that is the way to go. I will go to my dealer and ask them for the set up.

Depending on the specific BBQ in question, a takeoff on the propane system could need such an outlet either on the high pressure side or the low pressure side of the RV tank. In re-reading your problem, yours will likely need said outlet on the low pressure side (after the RV pressure regulator), and not as I stated above

Alfa38User sounds like that is the way to go. I will go to my dealer and ask them for the set up.

Some people do that, but there are tradeoffs in that approach. You have to carry an LP hose and of course the hose length determines where you can place the grill on the campsite. And the hose lies on the ground in an area where you walk & sit, so might be considered a nuisance by some.  We tried it for short awhile and soon went back to the LP bottle, using a smaller 10 lb (and later a 5 lb) LP bottle for ease of carrying, both in the RV and around the campsite.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Some people do that, but there are tradeoffs in that approach. You have to carry an LP hose and of course the hose length determines where you can place the grill on the campsite. And the hose lies on the ground in an area where you walk & sit, so might be considered a nuisance by some.  We tried it for short awhile and soon went back to the LP bottle, using a smaller 10 lb (and later a 5 lb) LP bottle for ease of carrying, both in the RV and around the campsite.
Gary I hear you on your post but the tank is towards the back of the couch. So the table or the picnic table will be to left of the door totally out of our way. And the hose will be non regulated be cause the stove is regulated. I am thinking 5' should do the trick. And I will put it all in one storage area. 1 stop shop. Just my 2 cents.

Our Extend-A-Stay Deluxe system included a 12' hose for connecting the BBQ and/or other accessories, along with a 5' hose for connecting an external DOT cylinder to augment the 29 gallon onboard ASME tank. There have been times when the 12' BBQ hose was barely long enough to reach a permanently installed campsite table, and other times when I had to break out a "bag table" for the grill to within reach. If we really want the grill further away, I always have a couple of throwaway 1lb bottles along though.

I just switched from carrying an extra bottle to the multi port valve and a 12" hose and won't go back. Amazon has the parts by Camco.

the tank is towards the back of the couch. So the table or the picnic table will be to left of the door totally out of our way. And the hose will be non regulated be cause the stove is regulated. I am thinking 5' should do the trick.

Just 5 ft?  I seriously doubt if you can manage with anything less than 10, but suit yourself.  We like spacious sites that have the table further away, but I'll grant that many parks these days don't provide that much space.

I would assume storing a 5# or 10# bottle would need the same ventilation as a regular 20#. How about in the bed of my tow vehicle? Better than the trailer storage?

Gary RV_Wizard: we may be selling our house in CO and heading to NC. Any good CG suggestions in the Black Mountain area?

Good information.  I was going to seal the hole in my lp storage so critters couldn't get in.  I guess I'll switch to #8 hardware cloth.  I also keep 1# bottles inside the rv.  I will put in a small box to keep them with the tanks.  As far the gas grill--well, this old girl scout will keep cooking on wood and my little smoking joe grill. 

Mary

Urban Hillbilly said:
I would assume storing a 5# or 10# bottle would need the same ventilation as a regular 20#. How about in the bed of my tow vehicle? Better than the trailer storage?

Propane expands 270 times in volume when it changes from liquid to gas, so it only takes a tablespoon or two to create an explosive atmosphere in an enclosed space.

Propane vapor is heavier than air, so while the truck bed is a better choice than a non-vented trailer compartment, you'll still need a floor vent or drain to dissipate the vapor in calm weather.  Usually pickup beds have drain holes to get rid of standing water in the bed but you should make sure these stay clear and not plugged with debris or blocked by a bed liner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom