Trailer brakes keystone bullet 287bhs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

southw2

Just got a new 2017 keystone bullet 287bhs, when I unplug the electric cord from my trailer and truck the camper brakes lockup. I thought that only happens when the brake away wire is pulled.
What gives ???????

Welcome!!!

Interesting problem!! Could be that the breakaway switch is defective. It may have been pulled accidentally at one point and the contacts of the switch could be burned and stuck in the operated position. There is no connection between the 120 V cord/power system and the brakes of a trailer. The breakaway system brakes are powered by the 12V battery in the trailer itself. No battery, no breakaway brake system. Could also be the plug wiring from the truck has a problem, and that should be checked out too.

Should you have to move it a short distance to a dealer for repair,  and if the problem is truly the breakaway system, simply disconnect the trailer battery and that should release the brakes. You can see if they are really activated or not  by using a compass near the wheels. If the brakes are activated, you should see a definite deflection of the compass needle.

I think he means when he pulls the trailer umbilical cord form the truck connector, not the shore power cord.

I suspect something is miswired or defective. Unless of course some lawyer got involved and decided that for reasons of liability they should automatically put the trailer in "PARK" when disconnected, but then how do you move it manually? Check with the dealer or Keystone to be sure. Stranger "safety improvements" have been made!

The only thing I can imagine is that on the trailer side connector the +12v wire is shorted to the brake wire when disconnected. Inserting the plug into the truck must break that connection and make the normal brake controller connection instead. Get out a VOM and start checking!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom