understanding backup camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danford50

I am completely puzzle by what I have seen , first the only way my back up camera work is when I am plug in to shore power , I drove my motorhome yesterday for about 100 mile and my back up camera did not work, second on my xantrex pro not to show a fault code is to have my motorhome plug into shore power and with my truck running, I guess what I need to know is that correct, I used my motorhome at the beach  I did not notice any of these thing at that time, chime in and give this motorhome newbie a helping hand

If you have flooded type batteries, check the fluid level. Check that the house batteries are connected. My backup camera is wired to a 12V circuit that requires the house battery isolator be ON.

danford50 said:
on the freedom elite it has something that call stored or use button , don't know what that is for.

While not familiar with the Freedom Elite, that is most likely the Battery disconnect switch.  It is intended to be used for long term storage, disconnecting the batteries from 'most' DC loads.  It must be in the 'use' position for most items to work, including most cabin lighting. 

Also most all other systems, such as furnace, water heater, refrigerator all require 12v DC for their control circuits.  The house batteries also will not charge from the generator or probably the engine, as well as when you are connected to shore power if the switch is in the 'stored' position.

The converter by the way converts the 115 VAC to 12V DC to power all the DC loads and charge the batteries.

An easy check, with the generator off and disconnected from shore power you should have all your cabin/house lights, ceiling, reading, etc.  If not, most likely the switch is in the stored position or the house batteries are dead.  Check the batteries for fluid and if you have a Volt meter check the batteries for voltage ... 12.6 or so is full charge.

While I didn't read it closely I see in another post things are not working ... this switch may account for other problems also.

Howard

check your batteries,  it sounds like you are only getting 12 volt power when it's plugged in.

If that switch is in the "store" position, no battery power can reach the coach 12v system and you only get 12v power when plugged to shore or using the genset.  The coach converter/charger system functions to provide 12v power from 120v shore or genset power, so battery is not needed then.

The Use/Store switch should be in the Use position at all times except when storing the RV for several days or more. It's purpose is to reduce battery power loss while the coach is not in regular use.

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".

And just to clarify, the backup camera MUST work when you're not connected to shore power, otherwise you may as well not even have it.  After all, you'll need it when you arrive at a new site so you can see behind you when you back in the space!

ArdraF

I had a Freedom Elite previous to my Jayco. I know the back-up camera will not work if the battery store/use switch is in the store position.

Another fix would be to direct wire it into a fuse/wire that is "hot" in the run position. This way the camera will be on all the time so you can watch the traffic behind you. I did this when I replaced the old Voyager we had. Best thing I did as it allows me to see what is behind me. I felt that since a very, very small part of your drive time is used backing up, it was more reasonable to have it on all the time for safety.

2kGeorgieBoy said:
Another fix would be to direct wire it into a fuse/wire that is "hot" in the run position. This way the camera will be on all the time so you can watch the traffic behind you. I did this when I replaced the old Voyager we had. Best thing I did as it allows me to see what is behind me. I felt that since a very, very small part of your drive time is used backing up, it was more reasonable to have it on all the time for safety.
My camera is on while driving.... and it's disturbing to watch the bicycles bounce around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom