FireStick v AppleTV v OMGTV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We were recently given an AppleTV box by some friends, and it quickly became obvious we needed internet access; We also needed subscriptions to the various providers, some of which we had. Meanwhile, I observed folks with FireStick. Last week, at the OH state fair, I talked with a guy selling OMGTV boxes for $299.

Anyone have experience with any of the above?

at home we have a "firestick" for Amazon which allows all kinds of different networks... hulu, HBO, DirecTv Now, netflix, CBS, and many more plus all of the Amazon Prime stuff.  We also had a Roku but it became obsolete and we tossed it.  Then we got a ChromeCast attachment that allows anything on the computer to show up on the big screen TV.  Never heard of OMGTV?  Have no interest in Apple stuff.  There are so many choices now it has become a challenge just keep tract of the options much less watch very many of 'em.  On top of all that, the number of commercials has gone ballistic... I can't get to the mute button fast enough or the buttons to change the program.  Advertising has become a thing to fear instead of a help in any way.  If I'm looking for something, I'll do a search, otherwise, I'll ignore the ads.

Rant OFF.

I have an AppleTV, and it's okay.  It is better if you have iDevices (phone, pad, etc.).  Being able to cast to it (Apple Mirroring) is pretty cool.  But honestly, it's just another device.  It would probably be better if I actually took the time to get into the nuts and bolts, but I'm too lazy for that nowadays.

Okay, ready for this:

Our big TV in the LR is a smart TV. We get Amazon, Netflix, and regular channels that are free from Comcast since we have high speed Internet with them. The TV the grandkids use in the den has a Roku and a Firestick. The TV in our bedroom has Apple TV. When I buy new TV's they will all be smart TV's. The Winnie Drop just an antenna and DVD.

The devices that promise all sorts of free streaming of TV shows, premium channels, movies that are still in theaters, etc., are ttpically using legal apps such as Kodi, but installing plug-ins on them that may be illegally streaming programming in violation of US copyright law. The program providers have been more aggressively tracking and taking legal action against folks streaming their content without payment or permission over the last year or so. One Kodi "enhancement" site even warns that an anonymous VPN should be used to avoid possible penalties for following their instructions. If it's a subscription service, and you're getting it free, then likely you're in violation. That does not include program content that's available by activating with your paid cable or satellite service provider, since they do have contracts that pay the content providers for their subscribers. Bottom line, "Buyer beware"...

We have poor Wi-Fi when travelling, if any, hence my absence.

We bought Chromecast last year thinking we could download stuff when we could, thank you Starbucks, and then stream via Chromecast. Nope. It had to have Wi-Fi to start operation.

This year we bought the Amazon Firestick. It works with no Wi-Fi, we are really pleased. We have one at home too and it is good for watching lots of stuff.

My Firestick requires an Internet connection via WiFi to stream content to the TV. If you're not using WiFi, how is yours getting content from Amazon, etc.?

Don't do it.  The 'fully loaded' streaming boxes are being shut down by lawyers.  The #1 site for downloading was shut down about two months ago.  (Tvaddons.ag) It won't be coming back. They will get around to OMGTV.  Tvaddons made it simple to build a Kodi box, now it's much more difficult but can still be done.

A fire stick with Prime Video and Hulu, or Netflix, will give you more stuff to watch than you'll ever get time for.  And with a little additional software the fire stick can get USTVNow I.e. All the major networks almost in real time.  It does require a bit of bandwidth.  Hulu is launching something like USTVNOW if they haven't already.

The FireStick is about half the cost of a Raspberry Pi.

Have stayed in a few parks now that won't let my Firestick connect to their wifi service. I think the parks are getting much more aggressive on wifi streaming as it takes too much of their bandwidth. Anyhow, we like Firestick, HBO we have so HBOgo is allowed, Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Youtube. It works well.

I know we had no trouble using it with my cell being a mobile hot spot. They did throttle me after several movies though. :D

Here is a little article about the best streaming devices.

https://www.cnet.com/topics/media-streamers/best-media-streamers/

I have a Fire TV and 2 Firesticks in the house.  All have Kodi on them.  tvaddons.ag may be gone bu there are others taking its place.  It is a shell game.  I have thought about taking them camping for those rainy days but unless you have good wifi they are useless.  10mb down seems to be the minimum for a steady stream.

Thanks for all the comments. I'll stick with AppleTV for now, although I didn't bring it along on this trip. Mirroring the premium channels from our home DTV service works fine, and we have several options for internet service while on the road. While in the coach, we have DTV with a couple of receivers from home.

FWIW one thing that made me ask the question was seeing a guy selling OMGTV boxes at a fair last week, seeing him demo it, and hearing him tell folks that "all the channels are free off the internet". I also heard several folks talk about FireStick.

Tom, we use our Firestick to stream live and recorded programming from the Dish Hopper receiver we leave at our upstate NY cottage using the Dish Anywhere app. We also use it to watch Amazon Prime movies and other programs, plus programming from the History Channel, etc., using their individual apps. I don't have Kodi installed on it, nor do I plan to since we have more than enough content available as is. Using the Firestick with our $20/mo unlimited 4G/LTE AT&T plan, the data used is not a concern to us.

To be clearer there if FireStick and FireTV.  The FireTV has a remote that takes voice input for content searching. It is a slightly better device than the FireStick.  In either  case it is lightning quick and very easy to use.  The version of FireTV introduced last year also handle higher resolution formats including 4K, if my memory serves me correctly. 

FireTV is now also supports Echo capability, although I have an Echo Dot for the RV.  It enables me to connect my audio such as Amazon Audio Unlimited or Pandora via Bluetooth to my surround sound.

[quote author=NY_Dutch]Tom, we use our Firestick to stream live and recorded programming from the Dish Hopper receiver we leave at our upstate NY cottage using the Dish Anywhere app.[/quote]

Thanks Dutch. I believe other members have talked about doing something similar in the past; I just didn't pay attention  :-[

We use Chromecast and it works well, except I can't mirror my iPhone or iPad. Get all the programs we want just can't mirror. Soon I'm going to try mirroring my computer and see if that works. I think it's Apple that won't allow mirroring of it's products. You would have to buy Apple TV for that.

[quote author=JoelP]FireTV is now also supports Echo capability, although I have an Echo Dot for the RV.  It enables me to connect my audio such as Amazon Audio Unlimited or Pandora via Bluetooth to my surround sound.[/quote]

I'm still trying to figure out how to program our VCR  :-[

Another Firetv user here.  We use it at home but have a Roku streamer at our rental summer cottage that gives access to the same services. We use primarily Amazon video ("free" with our Prime account), but also have subscriptions for Netflix and Hulu. The cost is moderate enough to keep those for the occasional show, often something somebody else suggests to us that we want to try.

We haven't yet tried any of the services that give regular broadcast channels because we already have those via cable.  We aren't ready to "cut the cord" yet, since there is cable stuff Nancy likes that is not available via streaming (yet). Or at least not at a price that would save us anything.

Back
Top Bottom