FireStick v AppleTV v OMGTV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For this trip to Alaska, where in most places Directv using Winegard doesn't work, I have been using a DTV app and PBS app on my Verizon Samsung S7 to stream shows and mirror them to our Samsung smart TV (48"). Works very well. Both apps adjust picture resolution to match the available bandwidth. Where Verizon isn't good I've used the AT&T Mobley streaming on my iMac and using AppleTV to mirror to the Samsung TV.

SeilerBird said:
I am using SlingTV which is a direct replacement for the cable.

With the limited locals and other channels Sling TV offers, I don't think I would call it a "direct replacement" for cable or satellite. I do think it's a good value for what they do offer though.

we cut cable years ago at our house, so I've tried just about all of these except the OMG thing, and I've never messed with the pirated download stuff.

We use Tivo to record broadcast stuff.  Our newest Tivo box also streams from netflix and amazon so that's what we use mostly.  It'll also do Hulu

we have another TV for the kids that's a newer "smart" tv.  I think it's a roku TV.  In my opinion that's the way to go since it's the most streamlined input (smart TV I mean in general, not necessarily the roku version)

next would be the amazon.  We have several of the sticks...one lives in the RV....but that only makes sense if you are a Prime member.  It has a really nice interface, and Prime offers a lot of good content.  Can use it for netflix too.

Our apple TV is an older one now so almost obsolete but it would still work fine.  we used to use it when were were all in with apple stuff, good for sharing the photos and such, renting or buying form itunes, and mirroring form apple devices.  when we moved away from apple it basically became a netflix device, and now we no longer use it

I have one of the google chrome sticks.  Use it occasionally to mirror from one of our chromebooks, but it's not so great far what we usually want

Never really cared for our Roku all that much, but it worked.  Mostly I think because at the time we were using apple and didn't really need it.  Maybe the newer ones are even better, I don't know....

Sounds like our house, cut cable about 10 years ago. Don't miss it.

NY_Dutch said:
My Firestick requires an Internet connection via WiFi to stream content to the TV. If you're not using WiFi, how is yours getting content from Amazon, etc.?
Dutch we download onto Amazon Prime Video app on tablet then do mirroring onto the tv via the Firestick, sorry I;m not very technical.  We switch the wifi on but dont need to connect to the internet just wifi between devices.  At least I think that is how it is working.

jackiemac said:
Dutch we download onto Amazon Prime Video app on tablet then do mirroring onto the tv via the Firestick, sorry I;m not very technical.  We switch the wifi on but dont need to connect to the internet just wifi between devices.  At least I think that is how it is working.

Ok, that would work. Obviously you are still using the Internet though, to initially access the programming. With the Firestick, it can just as easily be streamed directly to your TV though, and may even use slightly less data if that matters. The Firestick still logs in to Amazon when it's switched on.

NY_Dutch said:
Ok, that would work. Obviously you are still using the Internet though, to initially access the programming. With the Firestick, it can just as easily be streamed directly to your TV though, and may even use slightly less data if that matters. The Firestick still logs in to Amazon when it's switched on.

As most campgrounds don't allow streaming nor indeed have decent wifi, we download when we can and then stream without being connected to the internet at all, just wifi between devices.    My OH sorts it, too technical for me, but it does definitely work without internet as long as content in prime video app.

We tried to use Chromecast in a similar way but it had to connect to the internet before it would work at all.  It drove us mad....

Thjis is only for those that have both ATT phone service and DirectTv satellite subscription.  If you have ATT phone service and DirectTv then you can Chromecast your DirectTv programming to your TV with no impact on your data (essentially free TV streaming). This does not require Internet connection via anything but your phone and a router in your rig - both the phone and the TV need to be on the same network. All you need is the DirectTv app, a Chrmoecast capable TV (or Chromecast dongle), and a router in your rig.  We regularly stream DirectTv programming through our phone to the TV using a USB Chromecast dongle and it does not cost us anything extra.

We're in the process of cutting the cord at our S&B house. Since we're near a city we have strong antenna signals for all of the broadcast networks, PBS, plus quite a few independent channels. That supplies a decent base.
For the few cable channels that we watch with any regularity we've subscribed to DirecTvNow that we'll access via a new Roku (current promotion:prepay 2 months and get a free Roku). We also have a TiVo Bolt that gets us Amazon and Netflix and lets us time-shift the antenna channels.
Worthless bonus: The Roku delivers Amazon and Netflix also, duplicating the TiVo.

Since acquiring a Mobley we''ll experiment with the Roku on the road. I hope that's going to prove more bother than it's worth. My attitude is that it makes no sense to travel if you're just going to keep your face glued to an idiot box anyway.

jackiemac said:
As most campgrounds don't allow streaming nor indeed have decent wifi, we download when we can and then stream without being connected to the internet at all, just wifi between devices.    My OH sorts it, too technical for me, but it does definitely work without internet as long as content in prime video app.

We tried to use Chromecast in a similar way but it had to connect to the internet before it would work at all.  It drove us mad....

Not having used campground WiFi in several years, I tend to forget about the limitations...

I've had the Slingbox device and Slingplayer app on my cell phone and Ipod for about 5 years, which allow me to watch my home channels when away from home, and purchased the Firestick about a year ago to watch movies. Now, with the recent purchase of the ZTE Mobley device, I think I'm covered for both movies and tv.

NY_Dutch said:
Not having used campground WiFi in several years, I tend to forget about the limitations...
Oh yes, it is a challenge. I hardly ever get on the forum and even using mobile data on my cell sometimes restricts access to the forum.  I get withdrawal symptoms ?

jackiemac said:
Oh yes, it is a challenge. I hardly ever get on the forum and even using mobile data on my cell sometimes restricts access to the forum.  I get withdrawal symptoms ?

Have you considered using something like the AT&T "Mobley" with its $20/mo unlimited 4G/LTE data plan?

Cost is only one aspect of campground internet access and often not the important one. If you can't get a signal, or the quality is so poor that you cannot get the bandwidth needed to be practical, it makes little difference whether the service is free or fee.  Busy campgrounds too often overload the internet access infrastructure, even direct connects via cellular data.  We've been in campgrounds where both the campground wifi and mobile data network are fine at  4 pm but deteriorate to unusable by 7 pm or so, when dozens of campers all fire up their phones, tablets and computers to do their thing. A cell tower only has so much bandwidth available and it typically serves a broad area if outside of a city.

NY_Dutch said:
Have you considered using something like the AT&T "Mobley" with its $20/mo unlimited 4G/LTE data plan?
Hi Dutch, no, we will look at it. It's not too big a deal, we are here to enjoy your wonderful country so not being online gives us more time to do so. ?

jackiemac said:
Hi Dutch, no, we will look at it. It's not too big a deal, we are here to enjoy your wonderful country so not being online gives us more time to do so. ?

As long as it works for your needs, it's all good!  :D

If you are looking for a device that offers up the best balance, however, it would likely be Amazon?s Fire Stick. The hardware is solid, the UI is stable and its price is inoffensive. Sure, it may not be as all-singing, all-dancing as Apple's TV, but very user-friendly. You can find a step by step guide on how to jailbreak it with no issues. I personally enjoy using Firestick wh no issues daily

This thread is ~18 months old, and at the time, Jackie was not planning on having ready access to a good data service. The Firestick sucks a lot of data, as do the other streaming devices. We do like our Firestick, but we also have both AT&T and Verizon unlimited data plan hotspots.

Back
Top Bottom