EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: FireStick v AppleTV v OMGTV  (Read 1109 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
FireStick v AppleTV v OMGTV
« on: July 30, 2017, 05:31:24 PM »
We were recently given an AppleTV box by some friends, and it quickly became obvious we needed internet access; We also needed subscriptions to the various providers, some of which we had. Meanwhile, I observed folks with FireStick. Last week, at the OH state fair, I talked with a guy selling OMGTV boxes for $299.

Anyone have experience with any of the above?
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

taoshum

• ---
Re: FireStick v AppleTV v OMGTV
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 05:49:39 PM »
at home we have a "firestick" for Amazon which allows all kinds of different networks... hulu, HBO, DirecTv Now, netflix, CBS, and many more plus all of the Amazon Prime stuff.  We also had a Roku but it became obsolete and we tossed it.  Then we got a ChromeCast attachment that allows anything on the computer to show up on the big screen TV.  Never heard of OMGTV?  Have no interest in Apple stuff.  There are so many choices now it has become a challenge just keep tract of the options much less watch very many of 'em.  On top of all that, the number of commercials has gone ballistic... I can't get to the mute button fast enough or the buttons to change the program.  Advertising has become a thing to fear instead of a help in any way.  If I'm looking for something, I'll do a search, otherwise, I'll ignore the ads.

Rant OFF.
07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 05:52:23 PM »
Thanks "Rant OFF"  ;D

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 06:35:47 PM »
OMGTV is just a smart tv tacked onto an old tv. Any smart tv can do anything it can do except cost a lot of money.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 07:16:39 PM »
I have an AppleTV, and it's okay.  It is better if you have iDevices (phone, pad, etc.).  Being able to cast to it (Apple Mirroring) is pretty cool.  But honestly, it's just another device.  It would probably be better if I actually took the time to get into the nuts and bolts, but I'm too lazy for that nowadays.
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

Oldgator73

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 07:27:16 PM »
Okay, ready for this:

Our big TV in the LR is a smart TV. We get Amazon, Netflix, and regular channels that are free from Comcast since we have high speed Internet with them. The TV the grandkids use in the den has a Roku and a Firestick. The TV in our bedroom has Apple TV. When I buy new TV's they will all be smart TV's. The Winnie Drop just an antenna and DVD.

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 07:45:44 PM »
The devices that promise all sorts of free streaming of TV shows, premium channels, movies that are still in theaters, etc., are ttpically using legal apps such as Kodi, but installing plug-ins on them that may be illegally streaming programming in violation of US copyright law. The program providers have been more aggressively tracking and taking legal action against folks streaming their content without payment or permission over the last year or so. One Kodi "enhancement" site even warns that an anonymous VPN should be used to avoid possible penalties for following their instructions. If it's a subscription service, and you're getting it free, then likely you're in violation. That does not include program content that's available by activating with your paid cable or satellite service provider, since they do have contracts that pay the content providers for their subscribers. Bottom line, "Buyer beware"...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 08:03:54 PM »
We have poor Wi-Fi when travelling, if any, hence my absence.

We bought Chromecast last year thinking we could download stuff when we could, thank you Starbucks, and then stream via Chromecast. Nope. It had to have Wi-Fi to start operation.

This year we bought the Amazon Firestick. It works with no Wi-Fi, we are really pleased. We have one at home too and it is good for watching lots of stuff.
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Home in Scotland eagerly awaiting next trip!

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 08:09:43 PM »
My Firestick requires an Internet connection via WiFi to stream content to the TV. If you're not using WiFi, how is yours getting content from Amazon, etc.?
Dutch

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 08:30:01 PM »
Don't do it.  The 'fully loaded' streaming boxes are being shut down by lawyers.  The #1 site for downloading was shut down about two months ago.  (Tvaddons.ag) It won't be coming back. They will get around to OMGTV.  Tvaddons made it simple to build a Kodi box, now it's much more difficult but can still be done.

A fire stick with Prime Video and Hulu, or Netflix, will give you more stuff to watch than you'll ever get time for.  And with a little additional software the fire stick can get USTVNow I.e. All the major networks almost in real time.  It does require a bit of bandwidth.  Hulu is launching something like USTVNOW if they haven't already.

The FireStick is about half the cost of a Raspberry Pi.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

satxron

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 01:27:31 AM »
Have stayed in a few parks now that won't let my Firestick connect to their wifi service. I think the parks are getting much more aggressive on wifi streaming as it takes too much of their bandwidth. Anyhow, we like Firestick, HBO we have so HBOgo is allowed, Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Youtube. It works well.

I know we had no trouble using it with my cell being a mobile hot spot. They did throttle me after several movies though. :D

Here is a little article about the best streaming devices.

https://www.cnet.com/topics/media-streamers/best-media-streamers/
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:36:20 AM by satxron »

Macrosill

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 06:37:54 AM »
I have a Fire TV and 2 Firesticks in the house.  All have Kodi on them.  tvaddons.ag may be gone bu there are others taking its place.  It is a shell game.  I have thought about taking them camping for those rainy days but unless you have good wifi they are useless.  10mb down seems to be the minimum for a steady stream.
Thanks,
Brian

TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TV = 2006 Ford F-350 CC DRW 6.0

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 06:46:50 AM »
Thanks for all the comments. I'll stick with AppleTV for now, although I didn't bring it along on this trip. Mirroring the premium channels from our home DTV service works fine, and we have several options for internet service while on the road. While in the coach, we have DTV with a couple of receivers from home.

FWIW one thing that made me ask the question was seeing a guy selling OMGTV boxes at a fair last week, seeing him demo it, and hearing him tell folks that "all the channels are free off the internet". I also heard several folks talk about FireStick.

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 08:31:12 AM »
Tom, we use our Firestick to stream live and recorded programming from the Dish Hopper receiver we leave at our upstate NY cottage using the Dish Anywhere app. We also use it to watch Amazon Prime movies and other programs, plus programming from the History Channel, etc., using their individual apps. I don't have Kodi installed on it, nor do I plan to since we have more than enough content available as is. Using the Firestick with our $20/mo unlimited 4G/LTE AT&T plan, the data used is not a concern to us.
Dutch

JoelP

• ---
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »
To be clearer there if FireStick and FireTV.  The FireTV has a remote that takes voice input for content searching. It is a slightly better device than the FireStick.  In either  case it is lightning quick and very easy to use.  The version of FireTV introduced last year also handle higher resolution formats including 4K, if my memory serves me correctly. 

FireTV is now also supports Echo capability, although I have an Echo Dot for the RV.  It enables me to connect my audio such as Amazon Audio Unlimited or Pandora via Bluetooth to my surround sound.
Joel from San Jose

2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
8.1L Chevy Workhorse with Banks PowerPack
2016 CMax Energi Hybrid dinghy

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 08:42:29 AM »
Quote from: NY_Dutch
Tom, we use our Firestick to stream live and recorded programming from the Dish Hopper receiver we leave at our upstate NY cottage using the Dish Anywhere app.

Thanks Dutch. I believe other members have talked about doing something similar in the past; I just didn't pay attention  :-[

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 08:43:38 AM »
We use Chromecast and it works well, except I can't mirror my iPhone or iPad. Get all the programs we want just can't mirror. Soon I'm going to try mirroring my computer and see if that works. I think it's Apple that won't allow mirroring of it's products. You would have to buy Apple TV for that.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 08:44:30 AM »
Quote from: JoelP
FireTV is now also supports Echo capability, although I have an Echo Dot for the RV.  It enables me to connect my audio such as Amazon Audio Unlimited or Pandora via Bluetooth to my surround sound.

I'm still trying to figure out how to program our VCR  :-[

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 08:44:51 AM »
To be even clearer, the Firestick Gen 2 also accepts voice input for searching, etc.  ;)
Dutch

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 10:51:30 AM »
Another Firetv user here.  We use it at home but have a Roku streamer at our rental summer cottage that gives access to the same services. We use primarily Amazon video ("free" with our Prime account), but also have subscriptions for Netflix and Hulu. The cost is moderate enough to keep those for the occasional show, often something somebody else suggests to us that we want to try.

We haven't yet tried any of the services that give regular broadcast channels because we already have those via cable.  We aren't ready to "cut the cord" yet, since there is cable stuff Nancy likes that is not available via streaming (yet). Or at least not at a price that would save us anything.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 10:55:29 AM »
For this trip to Alaska, where in most places Directv using Winegard doesn't work, I have been using a DTV app and PBS app on my Verizon Samsung S7 to stream shows and mirror them to our Samsung smart TV (48"). Works very well. Both apps adjust picture resolution to match the available bandwidth. Where Verizon isn't good I've used the AT&T Mobley streaming on my iMac and using AppleTV to mirror to the Samsung TV.
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 11:42:53 AM »
I am using SlingTV which is a direct replacement for the cable.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2017, 12:05:41 PM »
I am using SlingTV which is a direct replacement for the cable.

With the limited locals and other channels Sling TV offers, I don't think I would call it a "direct replacement" for cable or satellite. I do think it's a good value for what they do offer though.
Dutch

blw2

• ---
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2017, 02:14:52 PM »
we cut cable years ago at our house, so I've tried just about all of these except the OMG thing, and I've never messed with the pirated download stuff.

We use Tivo to record broadcast stuff.  Our newest Tivo box also streams from netflix and amazon so that's what we use mostly.  It'll also do Hulu

we have another TV for the kids that's a newer "smart" tv.  I think it's a roku TV.   In my opinion that's the way to go since it's the most streamlined input (smart TV I mean in general, not necessarily the roku version)

next would be the amazon.  We have several of the sticks...one lives in the RV....but that only makes sense if you are a Prime member.  It has a really nice interface, and Prime offers a lot of good content.  Can use it for netflix too.

Our apple TV is an older one now so almost obsolete but it would still work fine.  we used to use it when were were all in with apple stuff, good for sharing the photos and such, renting or buying form itunes, and mirroring form apple devices.  when we moved away from apple it basically became a netflix device, and now we no longer use it

I have one of the google chrome sticks.  Use it occasionally to mirror from one of our chromebooks, but it's not so great far what we usually want

Never really cared for our Roku all that much, but it worked.  Mostly I think because at the time we were using apple and didn't really need it.  Maybe the newer ones are even better, I don't know....

Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

eliallen

• ---
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2017, 06:27:58 PM »
Sounds like our house, cut cable about 10 years ago. Don't miss it.

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2017, 06:35:44 PM »
My Firestick requires an Internet connection via WiFi to stream content to the TV. If you're not using WiFi, how is yours getting content from Amazon, etc.?
Dutch we download onto Amazon Prime Video app on tablet then do mirroring onto the tv via the Firestick, sorry I;m not very technical.  We switch the wifi on but dont need to connect to the internet just wifi between devices.  At least I think that is how it is working.

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2017, 06:47:22 PM »
Dutch we download onto Amazon Prime Video app on tablet then do mirroring onto the tv via the Firestick, sorry I;m not very technical.  We switch the wifi on but dont need to connect to the internet just wifi between devices.  At least I think that is how it is working.

Ok, that would work. Obviously you are still using the Internet though, to initially access the programming. With the Firestick, it can just as easily be streamed directly to your TV though, and may even use slightly less data if that matters. The Firestick still logs in to Amazon when it's switched on.
Dutch

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2017, 07:00:02 PM »
Ok, that would work. Obviously you are still using the Internet though, to initially access the programming. With the Firestick, it can just as easily be streamed directly to your TV though, and may even use slightly less data if that matters. The Firestick still logs in to Amazon when it's switched on.

As most campgrounds don't allow streaming nor indeed have decent wifi, we download when we can and then stream without being connected to the internet at all, just wifi between devices.    My OH sorts it, too technical for me, but it does definitely work without internet as long as content in prime video app.

We tried to use Chromecast in a similar way but it had to connect to the internet before it would work at all.  It drove us mad....

pz

• ---
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2017, 07:13:46 PM »
Thjis is only for those that have both ATT phone service and DirectTv satellite subscription.  If you have ATT phone service and DirectTv then you can Chromecast your DirectTv programming to your TV with no impact on your data (essentially free TV streaming). This does not require Internet connection via anything but your phone and a router in your rig - both the phone and the TV need to be on the same network. All you need is the DirectTv app, a Chrmoecast capable TV (or Chromecast dongle), and a router in your rig.  We regularly stream DirectTv programming through our phone to the TV using a USB Chromecast dongle and it does not cost us anything extra.
PZ
----
2011 Rockwood 8288SS
2012 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins

PopPop51

• ---
    • Uptown Tech
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2017, 07:23:32 PM »
We're in the process of cutting the cord at our S&B house. Since we're near a city we have strong antenna signals for all of the broadcast networks, PBS, plus quite a few independent channels. That supplies a decent base.
For the few cable channels that we watch with any regularity we've subscribed to DirecTvNow that we'll access via a new Roku (current promotion:Prepay 2 months and get a free Roku). We also have a TiVo Bolt that gets us Amazon and Netflix and lets us time-shift the antenna channels.
Worthless bonus: The Roku delivers Amazon and Netflix also, duplicating the TiVo.

Since acquiring a Mobley we''ll experiment with the Roku on the road. I hope that's going to prove more bother than it's worth. My attitude is that it makes no sense to travel if you're just going to keep your face glued to an idiot box anyway.
Paul--
2004 Ford Excursion V-10 ("Moose")
2010 Keystone Outback 270BH ("Squirrel")
2016 Mazda MX5 Miata ("Roadster")
##37 States So Far...##

Hosted by Over The Network