EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: FireStick v AppleTV v OMGTV  (Read 1147 times)

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
Re: FireStick v AppleTV v OMGTV
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2017, 07:33:05 PM »
As most campgrounds don't allow streaming nor indeed have decent wifi, we download when we can and then stream without being connected to the internet at all, just wifi between devices.    My OH sorts it, too technical for me, but it does definitely work without internet as long as content in prime video app.

We tried to use Chromecast in a similar way but it had to connect to the internet before it would work at all.  It drove us mad....

Not having used campground WiFi in several years, I tend to forget about the limitations...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

jackquontee

• ---
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2017, 08:13:59 PM »
I've had the Slingbox device and Slingplayer app on my cell phone and Ipod for about 5 years, which allow me to watch my home channels when away from home, and purchased the Firestick about a year ago to watch movies. Now, with the recent purchase of the ZTE Mobley device, I think I'm covered for both movies and tv.

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2017, 11:35:13 PM »
Not having used campground WiFi in several years, I tend to forget about the limitations...
Oh yes, it is a challenge. I hardly ever get on the forum and even using mobile data on my cell sometimes restricts access to the forum.  I get withdrawal symptoms 😁
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Home in Scotland eagerly awaiting next trip!

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2017, 07:05:56 AM »
Oh yes, it is a challenge. I hardly ever get on the forum and even using mobile data on my cell sometimes restricts access to the forum.  I get withdrawal symptoms 😁

Have you considered using something like the AT&T "Mobley" with its $20/mo unlimited 4G/LTE data plan?
Dutch

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2017, 08:51:34 AM »
Cost is only one aspect of campground internet access and often not the important one. If you can't get a signal, or the quality is so poor that you cannot get the bandwidth needed to be practical, it makes little difference whether the service is free or fee.  Busy campgrounds too often overload the internet access infrastructure, even direct connects via cellular data.  We've been in campgrounds where both the campground wifi and mobile data network are fine at  4 pm but deteriorate to unusable by 7 pm or so, when dozens of campers all fire up their phones, tablets and computers to do their thing. A cell tower only has so much bandwidth available and it typically serves a broad area if outside of a city.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2017, 09:00:44 AM »
Have you considered using something like the AT&T "Mobley" with its $20/mo unlimited 4G/LTE data plan?
Hi Dutch, no, we will look at it. It's not too big a deal, we are here to enjoy your wonderful country so not being online gives us more time to do so. 😁

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2017, 12:26:06 PM »
Hi Dutch, no, we will look at it. It's not too big a deal, we are here to enjoy your wonderful country so not being online gives us more time to do so. 😁

As long as it works for your needs, it's all good!  :D
Dutch

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2017, 01:44:17 PM »
As long as it works for your needs, it's all good!  :D
:))

Hosted by Over The Network