Water pump seems to be getting air from somewhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rviator

I have a 2007 XLTD.  Bought used.  Water pump never did auto shut off.  Previous owner had a replacement pump to install to supposedly correct that.  I just installed the new pump and it is sucking air such that it is not pumping as good as the old pump......and of course it does not auto shutoff.

I guess I will have to check all water line fittings to see if they are all tight.  Curious........there are no leaks anywhere that I have noticed to this point.

Anyone had a similar experience? 
Thanks,
rviator

Hmmm.......didn't know there was such a thing.  I will have to go looking for it..... :)
Thanks,
rviator

The expansion tank has a sort of balloon inside that keeps the water line pressurized. It's in between the pump and the faucet. It's usually water tank to water filter to water pump to expansion tank then to everything in the RV. If the expansion tank is no good the line will not build pressure and the pump will run all the time since it turns off and on with pressure.

Cap the pump's outlet and see if it shuts off - it should do so almost immediately if the pump is working properly.

This will eliminate the pump as being part of the problem.

Not all RVs have expansion tanks, and even if there is one, a bad membrane won't stop the incoming water from pressurizing it unless the tank itself is leaking.

Is the water heater tank full?  If not, it can take several minutes for the pump to fill an empty tank.  Do you get water or a blast of air out of the hot water tap closest to the hot water tank?

If you have a winterizing line with valve, be sure that valve is fully isolating the winterizing line. That line is open to air so the pump will continue to suck until that valve is properly positioned. Ask me how I know... LOL

If the pump is sucking air it is obviously on the suction side between the pump and the freshwater tank.  I would make sure the connection on the suction side of the pump was good and then follow that line as far as you can and see if there is another connection to check.  If the problem was on the pressure side of the system it wouldn't be sucking in air and you would have noticed a leak somewhere by now.

Agree with post on checking the valve on the winterizing line if present.

Excuse this question...but I just have to ask:  You do have water in the tank...Right?

If you find and fix where it is sucking air and have good water flow... but the pump still does not shut off, come back and we can discuss pump adjustments.

Few RVs have expansion (accumulator) tanks, so don't go chasing after that as a likely cause.  And if you a e indeed getting air in the pump & lines, the problem would not be there anyway.

Are you sure it is sucking air or is that just a guess at why it doesn't shut off? The pump won't shut off until it builds pressure in the output side to about 45 psi. A water leak would prevent that, and so would air or a blockage on the inlet side. Also a leak in the city water fill diverter valve, if your RV has such a thing.

I have no idea what a "2007 XLTD" is, so if you could describe it a bit further, maybe we could get more specific.

Lou Schneider said:
Cap the pump's outlet and see if it shuts off - it should do so almost immediately if the pump is working properly.

This will eliminate the pump as being part of the problem.

As Lou says ... I just replaced the Valve assy last week on mine as it was running more and more without shutting off and I was getting air in the output.  Also a minor leak started at the pump.  Couldn't see anything obvious when I took the old assy off, but the new one fixed that problem. 

https://www.amazon.com/SHURflo-94-232-06-Water-Valve-Assembly/dp/B000FQ7976/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000FQ7976&pd_rd_r=ESZDG33HT1BMDQ9EF0FT&pd_rd_w=aa2ht&pd_rd_wg=bz0XJ&psc=1&refRID=ESZDG33HT1BMDQ9EF0FT

Howard

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom