Navigating Tire Pressures Without A Chart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewmanRacing

Weighed my class C fully loaded with trailer. I have 2600 LBS steer axle and 7000 LBS drive axle. Dual rears of course.

Tires are BF Goodrich TA Commercial 225 / 75 / 16.

BF Goodrich does not seem to trust the public at large with the tire inflation tables for the products they manufacture. Searching google yielded me no results. I conversed online with a corporate BF Goodrich employee who told me the inflation tables were not available. I then called directly and the information (or lack of) was confirmed by another corporate BF Goodrich employee.

What would one use as a tire inflation guide in such circumstances?

If I couldn't get a BFG inflation chart, I'd be inclined to look at the inflation chart for a competitive brand, such as Goodyear or Michelin. Choose the table for the same size and load range of tire. I might also add a few (5?) lbs as a cushion, although others might consider this unnecessary.

Meanwhile, I find it strange that BFG won't provide an inflation chart. FWIW there's at least one chart on their web site here. I found this by simply visiting the page for their KO2 all terrain tire and clicking on Specs and Documentation.

I was told by tech support engineer at Yokohama that the charts published by michelin are actually numbers / standards published by the tire and rim association, and that I could use those numbers (based on matching tire type/size of course).  he said these are the same standards that all tire manufacturers use...just that some companies re-publish the info and others don't
I can't confirm it, it's just what i was told

This may help:

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

More info here:

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-inflation-loading.aspx

BFGoodrich is a Michelin subsidiary and the tires largely come from the same factories, so the Michelin tables are ok to use AS LONG AS YOU MATCH THE TIRES SIZE AND TYPE.

Brad is correct in that all the members of the Tire Manufacturers Association follow the same standards for tire construction and thus their tires end up having pretty much the same load/inflation specs.  Sometimes there are minor differences in inflation recommendations, but nothing that would be unsafe to use.  That's also a good reason NOT to pay premium prices for one brand vs another

Thank you Goat, Tom, and Gary.

A comparative analysis of the Michelin and Goodyear inflation tables for my tire size yielded the exact same results. I shall forge ahead. 

Someone somewhere here vehemently expressed "never use another manufactures inflation table". This information I will disregard.

Back
Top Bottom