Noisy air conditioner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vito55

I really appreciate having air conditioning in my travel trailer. Without it I probably would not want to even own a camper. But boy is it noisy! I never use the TV because I would have to raise the volume to intolerable levels if the a/c is running. The only good thing about the noise is that it doesn't matter how much road noise is around the RV park where we are stopped since the a/c noise drowns out everything else. I think I need to look into an alternative unit to have installed in my trailer.

Is it ducted?  There are two sources of a/c noise in RVs: the a/c compressor and the air flow through the ceiling box or ducts. Much of the objectionable noise is air rushing in/out, so a different a/c may do little to help.

Hey Vito, what brand and model trailer do you have?
We have an Arctic Fox 22G with the Coleman Mach 1 13.5 AC. It is ducted. These Arctic Fox units are pretty heavily insulated for 4 season use so maybe that is a factor, but we don't find the AC too noisy. Noisier than something at home, but we (you) are basically sitting in a box with the AC right on top, even with the ducting. I think some noise is inevitable. Definitely not intolerable however.

Vito
you might be interested in this
https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/our-rv-air-conditioner-upgrade-the-dometic-penguin-ii/

The reason that air from a blower can be loud is that the air coming from the vent is turbulent, because it goes from the pressurized plenum to the open space of your cabin too suddenly.  Laminar flow is quiet.  I once had a summer job years ago at a civil engineering company and one of our projects was to silence a waterfall.  We accomplished this by strategically inserting  a series of tubes into the falls to turn the turbulent flow into laminar flow.  The same can, in principal, be done for air, which is also can be considered a fluid for this purpose.  If there were a baffle that channeled the air over a longer distance to go from the plenum to the open space there is a chance to make the air flow laminar.

I have a smaller 19 foot trailer without any ducting. The a/c unit sits on the roof and blows into the cabin directly. And I would hate to spend big bucks for a supposedly quieter unit and then find it didn't make much of a difference.

New rv's are being delivered with the Atwood Air Command Air Conditioners. I continue to be impressed with how quiet they are, ducted or straight blow.

I completed a walk through last week on an FR3 fitted with the Atwood. As we entered the rv, I asked the purchasers who were accomplished campers, "what is the first thing you notice that is different from your old TT?" After a moment the wife stated how quiet the AC is. Husband stated "the AC must be in low fan".  Nope... that is the high setting! It was very nice being able to have a conversation without the usual AC noise.

When my Coleman gives up (or gives me an excuse) I shall replace it with the new Atwood. BTW the T-stat can be controlled using a small remote.

Stop by your local dealer and see for yourself.

Cheers

There are basically two type of air conditioners. My Motor home has "Ducted" and frankly there are time where I can not even her it over other sounds (like the TV)  (one of them the other one I can hear but. well that is a problem with it)

The other kind is ear busters.  (Direct vent or Grill vent) and converting to ducted.. Basically requires you remove the roof from the RV. (Or build a 2nd roof on top of the existing roof)

Siggest a set of wireles "Cans" type headphones (These fit completely over the ear) Boise noise canceling is about the best at 300-400 buck a pair for watching TV.

Not In ear buds but over the ear headphones.  Professional style.

vito55 said:
I really appreciate having air conditioning in my travel trailer. Without it I probably would not want to even own a camper. But boy is it noisy! I never use the TV because I would have to raise the volume to intolerable levels if the a/c is running. The only good thing about the noise is that it doesn't matter how much road noise is around the RV park where we are stopped since the a/c noise drowns out everything else. I think I need to look into an alternative unit to have installed in my trailer.

Take a look at this:

https://wackoproducts.com/

We had the noise problem, too.  Installed the aftermarket unit and we could watch TV again.  That was in our 2018 Coleman TT with ducted Dometic AC.  Traded for the new 5er with 2 Mach AC?s which are reasonably quiet.

Edit:  I see yours isn?t ducted.  Sorry, but this won?t work.  It cuts out the vents in the a/c and uses only the ducts.

I feel your pain.  Ours is between the living room and the tv.  I hate trying to watch tv but I?m not giving up the AC.  No idea if there is any way to improve it.

Rich that Wacko silencer looks like it is designed only for DUCTED air conditioners. (no return air path in the cover)  Does look like it might just make 'em quieter though.  for a ducted unit it all made sense.

John From Detroit said:
Rich that Wacko silencer looks like it is designed only for DUCTED air conditioners. (no return air path in the cover)  Does look like it might just make 'em quieter though.  for a ducted unit it all made sense.

Right, John.  That?s why I posted the ?Edit? after seeing the OP?s unit isn?t ducted.

But it worked nicely for me.

Back
Top Bottom