manufacturer/model help needed!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhondalynn

I am new in the RV world and don't actually have one yet.  We are newly retired and want to do a few RV trips.  We are looking for a 5th wheel for basically 2 adults (and a large dog) .  We have been to several RV lots and looking at them used.  We want to buy used but newer  and shorter (30) RV!  My question is... can someone give me a list of  what manufactures/models are  the Upper... Middle... and Lower end  for durability. Or maybe a list of who to say away from???  Perhaps there is a list that I am looking for somewhere in the library but I just don't know the  correct wording for what I want.  It is SOOO hard to search thru all the models available and try to figure out what would be a good deal  to only have someone say.. oh that one is not a very good quality RV.    I realize that everyone is different and thinks their RV is fabulous  but surely there is somewhere that can give me guidelines.  This forum has been great to read.

This question is nearly impossible to answer. Every single manufacturer will have issues with their products. I've owned Forest River, Thor, and KZ products and they have all been relatively trouble free. Somebody else might comment that they've owned the same units and had nothing but problems.

A blanket statement that I will make is to advise you to stay away from anything with "lite" in it's name. They are cutting corners in a lot of places to save weight. Cutting corners often lead to reliability issues.

On used RV's, the kind of maintenance its received can be more important than the brand or model. A unit with good up to date maintenance records can well be worth a premium price compared to another unit that was only cleaned up enough to sell.

As the others have said, there's really no shortcut to looking st lots of rigs. Eventually you'll start to see floor plans and features you like and don't like. You'll also start to see differences in workmanship. Don't buy anything until you've seen a lot of rigs, and don't buy anything until you've paid for an independent inspection. Don't rush it, have fun, and don't let anyone push you into something you're not certain about.

THANK YOU!!  ALL my husband was looking at and wanting to look at was the LITE. We have a 3/4 ton/diesel that will pull but he wanted to stay light.  He is a farm boy who knows it is easy to find a truck to pull a trailer but he wants to be sure to be able to STOP!    I will share this with him.

The original design and construction quality is related to the MSRP, which you can find in the free online NADA RV Guide. The more expensive models have better quality materials, more capable chassis, and spend more time to build it right. That doesn't mean there are no defects in the assembly process, but in general the rig will be made to higher standards. Better quality cabinetry, better upholstery & flooring, that sort of thing.  Obviously you have to compare equivalent size & amenities to use the MSRP as a guideline. My mantra is that RVs are extremely price competitive, so that  if one manufacturer seems to charge less for what is superficially the same size & features, you can be sure the cheaper one has cut corners somewhere you cannot readily see. Take the time to find those differences to see if they matter to you.

If you have a good eye for cabinet work and materials, you can use that as a guide to overall design quality.  The better rigs always have well-built cabinets with quality hardware. The best will be solid wood rather than veneered composites, with paper/vinyl veneers at the bottom of the list.

When buying used, condition trumps most things.

Back
Top Bottom