94 Fleetwood Flair front bushings question..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gateway

Hi, I'm a proud owner of a 29 foot Fleetwood Flair that I believe is on a P30 chassis.  I'm having a hard time really finding any detailed information on this RV and I need to replace the front sway bar bushings.. looking at Autozone I found a bunch of them for a P30 Van, but not a motorhome..

They have about 10 bushing listed with different diameter bar sizes.. from 1 1/8", 1 1/16" etc.. Im not sure really what one to get since its a bit hard to find information on the 94 fleetwood..

any suggestions?

btw this is the link I'm looking at.

Any help is appreciated!

Gateway said:
any suggestions?

Measure the bar diameter with calipers or a mic, buy the corresponding size in poly, not rubber and get on with life.

"P30" is a generic identifier for Chevy van & motorhome chassis but there are several variations and sometimes with significant differences.  The chassis VIN will identify the specific chassis model (digits 5-7 are the key), but the motorhome chassis is typically different than a Chevy van in many details, mostly due to the larger GVWR. Odds are your coach is built on the P32 or P37 forward control (aka motorhome) chassis rather than the standard one-ton van or truck chassis. Strictly speaking, the "P30" is a cutaway chassis with a complete truck cab in place, whereas the motorhome version has no cab or seats, i.e. just a dashboard & steering wheel.

This Chevrolet motorhome chassis manual should help, even though it is a bit older. It include info for decoding the VIN.
http://www.gmcmi.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/P30-Chassis-Manual.pdf

Gary RV_Wizard said:
"P30" is a generic identifier for Chevy van & motorhome chassis but there are several variations and sometimes with significant differences.  The chassis VIN will identify the specific chassis model (digits 5-7 are the key), but the motorhome chassis is typically different than a Chevy van in many details, mostly due to the larger GVWR. Odds are your coach is built on the P32 or P37 forward control (aka motorhome) chassis rather than the standard one-ton van or truck chassis. Strictly speaking, the "P30" is a cutaway chassis with a complete truck cab in place, whereas the motorhome version has no cab or seats, i.e. just a dashboard & steering wheel.

This Chevrolet motorhome chassis manual should help, even though it is a bit older. It include info for decoding the VIN.
http://www.gmcmi.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/P30-Chassis-Manual.pdf

Thanks! I did find this nice guide someone put together and identified my model as a P37.  Guess I need to buy a caliper and figure out the diameter on this and order the right parts...

Im new to this RV so be kind with the comments :)

Cheers!

I've got a similar chassis to yours (mine's a year older) and I had to do the swaybar bushings earlier this year/late last year.  I put my caliper on the swaybar to verify the size (mine are 1 1/4") and ordered up a set of Moog K6476 from Rock Auto for about 10 bucks.  Once I started the job I discovered that the control arm bracket bushings were missing as well so I went ahead and ordered up a second set -- they use the same exact bushing for both the sway bar to control arm bracket as the sway bar to frame bracket.  Go ahead and replace them all while you're in there.  It's not much additional cost and it's not much additional work.

Other things that I discovered that you may find helpful:  On mine, there was a lot of SAE bolts and nuts in there.  The engine seems to be all metric, but you'll need your big SAE stuff for the chassis.  I found the easiest way to get the bar re-installed after the new bushings was to install the control arm brackets first, then use a jack to lift the bar up to the frame so you can install those brackets.

wae said:
I've got a similar chassis to yours (mine's a year older) and I had to do the swaybar bushings earlier this year/late last year.  I put my caliper on the swaybar to verify the size (mine are 1 1/4") and ordered up a set of Moog K6476 from Rock Auto for about 10 bucks.  Once I started the job I discovered that the control arm bracket bushings were missing as well so I went ahead and ordered up a second set -- they use the same exact bushing for both the sway bar to control arm bracket as the sway bar to frame bracket.  Go ahead and replace them all while you're in there.  It's not much additional cost and it's not much additional work.

Other things that I discovered that you may find helpful:  On mine, there was a lot of SAE bolts and nuts in there.  The engine seems to be all metric, but you'll need your big SAE stuff for the chassis.  I found the easiest way to get the bar re-installed after the new bushings was to install the control arm brackets first, then use a jack to lift the bar up to the frame so you can install those brackets.

awesome! great info!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom