EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: PortTownsend-Keystone Ferry  (Read 224 times)

Lynne

• ---
PortTownsend-Keystone Ferry
« on: July 31, 2017, 07:22:02 PM »
We are traveling in a 40 ft RV, towing a vehicle.  We will cross into Washington at Sumas and will spend the night at Bayview State Park in Brighton, Wa.  From there we would like to go to Port Angeles.  The most direct route takes us on route 20 via the Port Townsend-Keystone Ferry.  Can anyone give us details on this ferry and if this is the best option or should we drive I-5 to Tacoma and then north on 16?  Looks like this will add about 100 miles and also take us through some busy areas.
 We appreciate any feedback!!  Thanks!!

retusn

• ---
Re: PortTownsend-Keystone Ferry
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 08:51:28 PM »
It sounds like you will be going thru Whidbey Island on Hwy 20 to Coupeville to catch the ferry over to Port Townsend and then on to Port Angles.  Is this correct?

Bob

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 10:04:11 PM »
The ferry is a good choice, there's no need to go the long way around through Seattle traffic.

Check for cancellations, the harbor on the Coupeville side is narrow and shallow and they cancel runs at low tides.

http://webpub1qa.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/schedule/AddCancelBySimpleRoute.aspx?routeid=8

While you're on the ferries site, make a reservation in advance so you're assured space on the run of your choice.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:15:36 PM by Lou Schneider »

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 10:15:28 PM »
Take the ferry! We done it several times.
I recommend reservations at peak travel times.
https://secureapps.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/reservations/vehicle/SailingSchedule.aspx?cookieCheck=true
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:17:36 PM by Ken & Sheila »
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 11:02:15 PM »
We traveled with our fiver on that ferry, were jammed so tight on the car deck we could not open the doors to go upstairs. Other than that it was a good trip.

mypursuit

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 11:58:12 PM »
All good suggestions.  Especially the reservation part. 
If time permits and luck is on your side coordinate a ferry reservation with a day before
reservation at Fort Casey State Park.
I say luck is needed because Casey is small and popular but it's also right next door
to the ferry terminal.
http://www.parks.wa.gov/

Picking nits:  Bayview SP  is actually in a little community called Bayview.
Save some miles by taking a left out of the park and continue straight
to hiway 20.  Verify on Google maps.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:04:23 AM by mypursuit »
1997 Georgie Boy Pursuit     2008 Ford Focus
P-30 / 454 Chevy w/ Stan's Headers, ceramic plug wires, cold air intake and K-N Air cleaner
Home Port Whidbey Island Washington
U.S. Navy 1970 - 1990
"Truth is the hardest thing you'll find, because you can't change it in the slightest way. " J. Paycheck

Lynne

• ---
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 09:32:56 AM »
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions!  Taking the rig on a ferry will be a first for us!!  Any thoughts as to whether we should unhook our tow vehicle?  Thanks again!
Don and Lynne

Lynne

• ---
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 09:38:17 AM »
Bob, yes, that is correct!

mypursuit

• ---
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 10:45:48 AM »
Taking the rig on a ferry will be a first for us!!  Any thoughts as to whether we should unhook our tow vehicle?  Thanks again!
Don and Lynne

I don't have the option of unhooking my toad.  You might save on fares but I'm not sure.
The only compelling reason to unhook would be a very low tide and a very steep
approach angle to the ferry.  I've never had any problem.
P-30 / 454 Chevy w/ Stan's Headers, ceramic plug wires, cold air intake and K-N Air cleaner
U.S. Navy 1970 - 1990
"Truth is the hardest thing you'll find, because you can't change it in the slightest way. " J. Paycheck

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 02:27:52 PM »
We've usually been told to unhook at the dock which allows them to maneuver the taller RV to a center taller clearance area and the shorter car to a lower clearance area.  Depends on the ferry of course, but they will measure your RV (they know a 40-footer can be over 41 feet!) so everything can be loaded properly.  It's fun to watch the loading, especially if there are logging trucks, school buses, and RVs!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

mypursuit

• ---
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 03:16:32 PM »
Of course I should have thought of that.  I'm only 41 feet TOTAL so that might make a difference.   :-[

U.S. Navy 1970 - 1990

halfwright

• ---
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 04:10:22 PM »
If you are a VFW member, the Whidbey Island post has a rv park with water, electricity and a dump.
Jim And Darlene Wright
Full-timing with
Ryder, the Ethiopian monkeybeaver dog
and a long-haired vacuum cleaner terrior
All in a
2007 Montana Mountaineer
2002 F250 Super duty 7.3 liter

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 11:54:23 PM »
We've usually been told to unhook at the dock which allows them to maneuver the taller RV to a center taller clearance area and the shorter car to a lower clearance area.  Depends on the ferry of course, but they will measure your RV (they know a 40-footer can be over 41 feet!) so everything can be loaded properly.  It's fun to watch the loading, especially if there are logging trucks, school buses, and RVs!

ArdraF

I don't remember that the extra cost to leave the toad hooked up was all that great. Except for the Alaska Ferry (Alaska Marine Highway) we have always left the jeep attached including the following: Washington State ferries, BC Ferries, The Black Ball ferry,, the Newfoundland ferry and the Nova Scotia ferry. It's just far more convenient. On the Alaska ferry it is necessary to be able to back up and do a 3-5 point turn to get off or on. Most stops are side load/unload, therefore it is not possible to leave a car attached.

ken
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Hosted by Over The Network