PortTownsend-Keystone Ferry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lynne

We are traveling in a 40 ft RV, towing a vehicle.  We will cross into Washington at Sumas and will spend the night at Bayview State Park in Brighton, Wa.  From there we would like to go to Port Angeles.  The most direct route takes us on route 20 via the Port Townsend-Keystone Ferry.  Can anyone give us details on this ferry and if this is the best option or should we drive I-5 to Tacoma and then north on 16?  Looks like this will add about 100 miles and also take us through some busy areas.
We appreciate any feedback!!  Thanks!!

It sounds like you will be going thru Whidbey Island on Hwy 20 to Coupeville to catch the ferry over to Port Townsend and then on to Port Angles.  Is this correct?

Bob

We traveled with our fiver on that ferry, were jammed so tight on the car deck we could not open the doors to go upstairs. Other than that it was a good trip.

All good suggestions.  Especially the reservation part. 
If time permits and luck is on your side coordinate a ferry reservation with a day before
reservation at Fort Casey State Park.
I say luck is needed because Casey is small and popular but it's also right next door
to the ferry terminal.
http://www.parks.wa.gov/

Picking nits:  Bayview SP  is actually in a little community called Bayview.
Save some miles by taking a left out of the park and continue straight
to hiway 20.  Verify on Google maps.

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions!  Taking the rig on a ferry will be a first for us!!  Any thoughts as to whether we should unhook our tow vehicle?  Thanks again!
Don and Lynne

Taking the rig on a ferry will be a first for us!!  Any thoughts as to whether we should unhook our tow vehicle?  Thanks again!
Don and Lynne

I don't have the option of unhooking my toad.  You might save on fares but I'm not sure.
The only compelling reason to unhook would be a very low tide and a very steep
approach angle to the ferry.  I've never had any problem.

We've usually been told to unhook at the dock which allows them to maneuver the taller RV to a center taller clearance area and the shorter car to a lower clearance area.  Depends on the ferry of course, but they will measure your RV (they know a 40-footer can be over 41 feet!) so everything can be loaded properly.  It's fun to watch the loading, especially if there are logging trucks, school buses, and RVs!

ArdraF

Of course I should have thought of that.  I'm only 41 feet TOTAL so that might make a difference.  :-[

If you are a VFW member, the Whidbey Island post has a rv park with water, electricity and a dump.

ArdraF said:
We've usually been told to unhook at the dock which allows them to maneuver the taller RV to a center taller clearance area and the shorter car to a lower clearance area.  Depends on the ferry of course, but they will measure your RV (they know a 40-footer can be over 41 feet!) so everything can be loaded properly.  It's fun to watch the loading, especially if there are logging trucks, school buses, and RVs!

ArdraF

I don't remember that the extra cost to leave the toad hooked up was all that great. Except for the Alaska Ferry (Alaska Marine Highway) we have always left the jeep attached including the following: Washington State ferries, BC Ferries, The Black Ball ferry,, the Newfoundland ferry and the Nova Scotia ferry. It's just far more convenient. On the Alaska ferry it is necessary to be able to back up and do a 3-5 point turn to get off or on. Most stops are side load/unload, therefore it is not possible to leave a car attached.

ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom