EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Issue with lights  (Read 151 times)

fstalfire

Issue with lights
« on: July 31, 2017, 08:26:35 PM »
Hi guys...just bought a 1996 Ford travel master and am having trouble with the lights.... the running lights all work but the turn and brake lights don't work unless it sits for a half hour or so.....i put the flashers on and get nothing, no blinking, no blinking noise, nothing.....and earlier i left it on, then after a half hour it started working, no idea what or why but it was blinking, i turned it off then back on and again, it didn't work, maybe in a half hour it will start again but in the mean time.......what the heck could this be????

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
Re: Issue with lights
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 01:55:53 AM »
Hard to say without tracing wires and troubleshooting with a VOM, but when several electrical components fail simultaneously, I start suspecting a bad common ground or power wire. Finding it can be time consuming and tedious though.

You might try connecting a VOM to one of the problem lights, then gently start wiggling some wiring harnesses under the dash, since that's where they're all routed to get to the switch. You may also be able to troubleshoot without a VOM by turning on an affected light and, once again, gently wiggling the same wires to see if the light starts flickering on and off. 

Kev

(By the way, welcome to the RVForum)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:06:24 AM by Kevin Means »
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

Hosted by Over The Network