Tow Mirrors - 5th Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

towhee

We are new, full timers. Picked up this 2011 Arctic Fox 245N and had no problems 200 miles home, and not too much trouble backing the 5er. (I've got some experience pulling different types of trailers and driving parking a school bus.) Our truck is 2500 Chey 4X4 Diesel Turbo regular bed with Stock Mirrors. QUESTION: Are Tow Mirrors needed? (It seems a must to be safe.) I started researching clip on mirrors as in cipa or Y Source, but they seem to be worthless. I've been looking at Aftermarket Mirrors: Kool View and SYPPO ($100/pair) and some say good but won't auto fold. And Lastly the add on OEM Mirrors at $400 each and they don't fold either but auto telescope. QUESTION: What's the WORD on this stuff? What experiences have you all had with Towing Mirrors?
Thanks, all views appreciated!
towhee

Needed? No.
I dont have an RV, but I wouldn't want regular mirrors ever again. I can see so much in my mirrors. Plus they can extend if necessary. I could see them being very helpful with a trailer though.

I am surprised that your truck doesn't have tow mirrors. I have never seen this with a diesel truck that is built to tow.
As far as needed?? You sure do. I have a 2014 GMC Duramax and can tow without pulling my mirrors out, but I can't clearly see the total length of trailer to the rear bumper without the mirrors out..

Stan

I used the CIPA slip-on mirrors on two prior trucks - 1999 and 2002 Silverados. I liked them. They slipped on and off easily, had very little vibration, and gave me good vision down the side of the trailers. I'd recommend giving them a try.

My Dad had a 2007 Chevy 2500 with standard mirrors also.  I think he got some aftermarket that extended, but did not fold.  I don't remember for sure, but I remember he put the switch to extend them right by the kneecap (Don't know what he was thinking).  Anyway, beyond that, I don't know enough about Chevy's to provide much input.  I know the add-ons (CIPA, etc.) did not work well for my original tow vehicle.  I've seen mixed results as I've read around on different forums.

My F-250 has the full power (heat, adjust, extend, fold).  They are awesome, though I have had to replace the driver side.  Ford tends to put some cheap gears in the mirrors that tend to wear out rather quickly.  Otherwise, I won't have another truck without these mirrors.

I had a 2014 Chevy Silverado 2500.  My son has a 2015 Chevy Silverado Duramax 2500.  Neither came with towing mirrors. We bought after market extension mirrors.

When travelling straight down the highway if you can't see down the full length the trailer on each side tow mirrors would be needed.

THANK YOU RV Forum members for sharing your thoughts and Experience. I really appreciate the knowledge...towhee

I used the CIPA brand ones on my trucks that didn't have factory mirrors. They are contoured to blend in with the stock ones and work well.

Most 2500 trucks you think would come with extendable mirrors. My Tundra has extendable mirrors, and I use them when I pull my boat, my enclosed trailer ect. Nice feature to have, as you can easily push them back in when not needed. I know our Ford 2500 had them, as well as our 3500 Dodge.

muskoka guy said:
Most 2500 trucks you think would come with extendable mirrors. My Tundra has extendable mirrors, and I use them when I pull my boat, my enclosed trailer ect. Nice feature to have, as you can easily push them back in when not needed. I know our Ford 2500 had them, as well as our 3500 Dodge.
I see quite a few on the highway that dont. Should be standard on anything 3/4 ton and up.

I just got the extendable mirrors that look just like the latest generation silverado for my 08. Under $200. Totally happy, easy to install. Have a built in backup light. Great upgrade. http://amzn.to/2utDz9O

TimbrSS said:
I just got the extendable mirrors that look just like the latest generation silverado for my 08. Under $200. Totally happy, easy to install. Have a built in backup light. Great upgrade. http://amzn.to/2utDz9O

Now that's a mirror! For those that advocate Cippa style clamp-on mirrors, the bottom section of this mirror is about the same size as an entire Cippa mirror. A day and night difference in safety.

Back
Top Bottom