EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: New RVer...trailer has water damage  (Read 233 times)

iheartvols

• ---
New RVer...trailer has water damage
« on: August 01, 2017, 08:15:26 AM »
Hello.  I'm relatively new to RVing (we bought our used Keystone Laredo last summer) and have a question about repairing water damage:

I noticed a wall in the master bedroom starting to bubble and further investigation revealed a leak from the roof, which I sealed with some epoxy and everything seemed to be good.  A few weeks later, I asked a local RV dealer to come and look at the trailer and he pointed out two additional places where the exterior of the trailer is starting to bubble - which he said is caused by a leak - but he could find no evidence at either location of damage to the inside.

My questions are: once I get the leaks sealed (both obviously from the roof) do I need to do any further repairs to those specific areas and if so, what do I need to do?

TIA

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: New RVer...trailer has water damage
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 08:28:40 AM »
The answer is a definite "maybe", but you can probably wait and see.  Water that reaches the interior wood can cause rot (ironically called "dry" rot) and/or mold.  Maybe none, maybe a little, or a lot. Ventilate the areas as best you can to help dry up the moisture and maybe say a prayer as well.

Roof and wall seams should be sealed with a flexible caulk rather than rigid epoxy.  RV's are subject to a lot of flexing & vibration as they are driven, so you need a sealant that can stretch.  The gold standard of roof sealants is Dicor Lap Sealant, which is available in a self-leveling formula for horizontal surfaces and a non-sag formula for vertical seams.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Triple Slide Jayco

• ---
Re: New RVer...trailer has water damage
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 09:37:51 AM »
Search this site for "sour lemonade". A purchase of a tt that showed the real damage that water can provide.
2016 Jayco TT Triple slide 33RBTS
2016 Chevy Tahoe

Hosted by Over The Network