New RVer...trailer has water damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iheartvols

Hello.  I'm relatively new to RVing (we bought our used Keystone Laredo last summer) and have a question about repairing water damage:

I noticed a wall in the master bedroom starting to bubble and further investigation revealed a leak from the roof, which I sealed with some epoxy and everything seemed to be good.  A few weeks later, I asked a local RV dealer to come and look at the trailer and he pointed out two additional places where the exterior of the trailer is starting to bubble - which he said is caused by a leak - but he could find no evidence at either location of damage to the inside.

My questions are: once I get the leaks sealed (both obviously from the roof) do I need to do any further repairs to those specific areas and if so, what do I need to do?

TIA

The answer is a definite "maybe", but you can probably wait and see.  Water that reaches the interior wood can cause rot (ironically called "dry" rot) and/or mold.  Maybe none, maybe a little, or a lot. Ventilate the areas as best you can to help dry up the moisture and maybe say a prayer as well.

Roof and wall seams should be sealed with a flexible caulk rather than rigid epoxy.  RV's are subject to a lot of flexing & vibration as they are driven, so you need a sealant that can stretch.  The gold standard of roof sealants is Dicor Lap Sealant, which is available in a self-leveling formula for horizontal surfaces and a non-sag formula for vertical seams.

Search this site for "sour lemonade". A purchase of a tt that showed the real damage that water can provide.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom