EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Mini split air condition  (Read 387 times)

Willandgiselarv

• ---
Mini split air condition
« on: August 01, 2017, 11:38:40 AM »
Hello, I'm having to replace my fan on my rear ac unit but wondering down the road it may need an ac replacement.
Has anyone contemplated using one of those mini split ac units? The 12k and 16k btu.?
I'm still researching the feasibility of this.
Thanks
2004 GB. Bellagio 38ft  3126E Allison 3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
Re: Mini split air condition
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 06:53:13 PM »
Never heard of a Mini split air conditioner.  Could you elaborate or post a link to an ad for one?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 07:29:00 PM »
https://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewcategory.cfm?categoryID=319

They're also called ductless air conditioners.  The noisy compressor and condenser fan are outside, with only the evaporator and a quiet fan on a wall unit inside.

Freon lines and an electrical cable connect the two, allowing inside A/C without having to run full size ducting.

They're meant for stationary applications, not mobile use.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:30:40 PM by Lou Schneider »

KandT

• ---
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 08:33:16 PM »
A close friend has the old narrow crank windows in his sticks and bricks so he had to go with this style for a room air conditioner.  He is quite happy with it.  Not sure that there is a real disadvantage except we go to bed early and our air conditioner is just the noise I need to drown out everything else!
2005 Winnebago Vectra
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 08:51:49 PM »
So Will....how would you mount/install it? What kind of motorhome do you have?

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Willandgiselarv

• ---
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 09:20:47 PM »
Arch I have a 38ft class a, I have seen the installation done on a trailer, they put the condenser outside unit on the trailers lounge, and have a single or multiple head.
I was impressed at it's ability to cool and how quiet it was. I'm still thinking where I could mount the outside unit. Here is an article posted of why the mini split would work well on the rv.
https://www.sogoodtobuy.com/blog/a-mini-split-is-perfect-for-an-rv-or-tiny-home/

As Lou posted it was for stationary install but I think the unit will hold up in an RV provided the installation is a good one.
The RV AC is nice but very inefficient at cooling .
So thinking that the mini split may be the way to go.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:26:33 PM by Willandgiselarv »
2004 GB. Bellagio 38ft  3126E Allison 3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 11:32:31 PM »
I was parked next to a travel trailer last month and the guy had installed a regular window air conditioner on the back of his trailer. Had it framed with 2X4's. Looked a little hoakie but I'm sure it did the job.

When it's 105 degrees you really don't care what it looks like as long as it cools.

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 10:40:00 AM »
Agree - no reason why a mini-split a/c system wouldn't work well if the installation is properly done. Finding a site for the external unit on a motorhome seems like a challenge, though, as does protecting it from road debris damage.  Plus you need to find room inside for the wall unit - RVs rarely have 3+ ft of open wall space anywhere.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

ducnut

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 12:59:29 PM »
I think it's a great idea. No reason why external bits couldn't be mount on the bumper.

captsteve

• ---
  • measure with a micrometer, cut with a chainsaw!
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 03:51:19 AM »
I just put one in my sticks and bricks. Here are a couple things to think about.

1. These units are inverter units. meaning there is an inverter in it, so in my thinking an industrious person could figure out what DC current it needs and possibly by pass the inverter, but these things have a lot of electronics in then and the monitoring circuit for incoming voltage may not be easy to bypass.

2. These units are variable speed and are very sensitive to wind. (this comes from my manual) So, wind issues may come into play if underway and trying to use it.

I think it is a great idea and wonder why these are not used on coaches yet. I'm sure with a little re-engineering it would be a great system and much quieter and more efficient than current set ups. The possibility of running it off battery would be a big plus.

I know that the draw for these units is minimal. I routinely see less than a 3 amp draw when operating. My power bill has dropped at the house by more than $100. a month due to not having to keep the whole house at the temp I like for the bedroom.
Capt Steve has the Conn, Trina navigator ( Admiral )
2004 American Revolution 40c (aka Fat Girl) **Sold**
2017 Ram 1500 (Future Toad)
Piper Archer II  (Where the RV money goes)

Hosted by Over The Network