Elkhart RV show next week...worth the trip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GeorgeandTheBear

We plan to buy a MH within the next couple of years, most likely a used class C. As it stands, we really don't know much and were thinking of going to this show, just to learn. We would just like to see features that we may or may not want, or see things we didn't even know existed. I'm hoping this may help in the shopping phase for our "New" toy. It's about a 4 hour drive straight up the interstate, so not a huge deal to get there. Whad'ya think? Anyone been to it? Anyone think it's a waste of time?

I can't help you about the Elkhart show in particular, but you should attend as many shows as you can.  The idea is to sit inside them and imagine yourself living in it.  Where will everyone sleep and is the bed a good size?  Do you have elbow room in the shower and leg room in the toilet area?  Where will you put all the "stuff" such as canned goods, tools, clothing, linens, toys and even stuff for your four-legged kids.  Imagine where you'll put wet clothes if it rains and how comfortable you'll be if the weather keeps you inside for a couple of days (it happens!).

Also visit factories if you can - and there are many in the Elkhart area - to see how well their products are built.  When we moved up from gas to diesel we visited just about all the major diesel motorhome factories and it was very enlightening.  But it also helped later because we had a better understanding of what was underneath the floor and behind the cabinets and how everything was put together.

Finally, leave your checkbook at home when you go to these shows.  New RVers in particular get enthralled with all the glitz and fun stuff and tend to want to take home the object of their affection.  It's a good idea to wait a while.  Make lists of what you like and dislike about what you see and eventually you'll work your lists down to what's right for you and your family.  Just like they say "location, location, location" in real estate, we say "floor plan, floor plan, floor plan" when we talk about RVs.  It has to be livable and suit your needs or you won't like it.  Most of all, have fun during the process!

ArdraF

We live just a few miles from Elkhart and we went to last years show..
They had a pretty large selection from most of the major manufact..
And they had some pretty big discounts.. I saw prices lower there than I had heard of anywhere else.
(New only, they did not have used ones there)

If you buy new and know what you want as far as Brand, layout, features wanted, etc etc.  It is a great place to find a best deal.

As my wife moved down the rows, from the $70K class C's to the $450K tour bus's, She kept liking more and more...!
We did see a lot of new features we had never seen before.

Dont let the DW see the high end ones if ya cant afford one... She will never want any less !  ;-)

Bob

We are definitely not going to buy a new one. I plan to retire in the next couple of years. We want to buy a used Class C to get our feet wet. My wife won't be a problem. If you Google "psycho tight-wad" her picture will come up. I figured if we could look at a bunch of them we may get an idea of what we may or may not want. We're so green and uneducated about them right now we can't even come up with questions to ask.

Where is the closest or most convenient large airport to fly to direct from San Diego?  Would Chicago be the closest and best, or some other city.

Southwest to Chicago Midway would be your best choice, then it's about 2 1/2 hours east on I-90 (the Indiana Toll Road) to Elkhart. O'Hare is further, on the wrong side of town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom