Water heateer advice requested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve407

I have a model 1 Girrard tankless water heater and it exhibits the problem most people have talked about -- here in Florida in particular, the incoming water is generally very hot from the water source as it travels through the hose laying out in the sun. This causes the water heater to rapidly cycle on and off going from scalding to cold constantly. I understand this has been a known problem. I've tried all the "remedies" (run a lot of water through each outlet including the washer) and they replaced the circuit board once - and that's exactly how many times it gave a decent shower, then went right back to the old ways.  The DW says it's time to fix this!

So the questions - if I purchase a new water heater:
1) does it have to be the same brand as the Girrard or could i go with Atwood or something else?  (ie, are the sizes standard?)
2) I'm pretty much all thumbs, so does anyone have a GUESS as to installation costs?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

If you're using the Girrard as per their instructions and the water is too hot try not following their instructions.  Mix cold water into your shower. 

Replacing it could be a can of worms.  The tankless models are quite a bit smaller (in depth) than a tank WH.  But chances are you can find a shop willing to tackle it.  I looked at doing one for a friend and said no.

Thanks - I HAVE tried mixing cold and hot against what the book says. Same result.  One campground had really hot water coming from the spigot and I turned the water heater OFF and had a decent shower, but that's more the exception than the rule. I think the answer is just getting a new one, but I have no idea WHAT IT COSTS or the installation cost. That's what I'm really looking for.  But thank you for answering.

I was ready to dynamite my Girard "On Demand" which translated into "On Demand I will make you dance in that little shower of yours."

Tried different shower heads, tried different settings.  Finally gave up and had it replaced at my local dealer with a tank version which luckily fit the opening.

Ahhhhh, showers that are now the same temps which I can adjust, not hot to freezing cold to boiling to oh my gosh ice chips.

Glad I did.  I now no longer fear a shower.  Plus wearing a wet suit wasn't working to withstand the temperature extremes.

Thanks - I guess that's the bullet I have to bite too.  If you don't mind, approximately what did this cost you? I don't know if it's 200 or 2000 dollars. Trying to prepare for it.

If the Garrard was an option on yours, you probably have room and wiring/gas for a tank-type heater. If not, you could be in for major reconstruction to fit the much larger tank system in. A new tank-type dual gas/electric heater runs about $450 for a 10 gallon model (dealer prices probably higher), but the installation costs could be anywhere from  $200 to $1000, depending on what needs to be done. RV dealers charge $100-$125 per hour, so labor adds up fast. This is much easier to swallow as a DIY job.

Back
Top Bottom