My first RV...looking for input, thoughts, suggestions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope, never had my own RV.  Grew up in a family with travel trailers and spent a month in a small class A, but that's about it.  I've considered the travel trailer/fifth wheel side too, but just not really what I want.  For years we've taken short trips to the beach (we live in central GA) on a regular basis and done the hotel thing, but we're wanting to start spending some time wandering around other parts of this beautiful country.

Absolutely appreciate the replies from everyone...Most seem to direct towards the class A's, which I personally think is a better option for me, just don't know that the wife will attempt to drive it....I would love the diesel as they are definitely better suited for the type of travel we're interested in, but all those numbers next to that $ sign in the ads is tough to comprehend sometimes.  :(

For those of you in smaller RV's, how does it treat you on longer road trips?  Any issues when towing larger vehicles?  How well does it deal on steep grades, I've white knuckled Donner Pass and Cabbage Hill with a jake, not sure I want that experience in an RV with the family in tow.

The attachment of the coach you are looking at doesn't seem to have a lot of hanging space for your clothes.
We find a large, full length closet, mandatory. er ah, at least she does. :-[
And BTW you get the closet on the passengers side.

I am a female with a class C.  I am currently in Alaska and have not had any problems towing my Honda fit with my ford E 450 up and down passes. I do not find it hard to drive and being a Ford it is easy to find places to service it. I am in a caravan and the only c all the rest are A's. Some wives will drive, many won't. I am totally happy with my C. You and your family are the only ones that can decide what is right for you. I say look at both A's And C's. There are driving classes as well. I took one even though I am driving a shorter C. Found it gave me a lot more confidence with backing up and maneuvering.

rls7201 said:
The attachment of the coach you are looking at doesn't seem to have a lot of hanging space for your clothes.
We find a large, full length closet, mandatory. er ah, at least she does. :-[
And BTW you get the closet on the passengers side.

I don't get to use the closet at home...Its her turn to see how the other half lives.  ;D

I'd add the Thor ACE lineup in your search. I strongly cross-shopped it before my class C purchase. Also, look at the Four Winds 31W (my 24F is like a shortened version of that).

Your class A options are likely to be on a Ford F53 chassis. That gets you a V10/3-valve engine (more HP and TQ), heavier chassis, larger brakes, 19.5" commercial tires, just an overall more robust chassis. I believe in going with a smaller coach on a heavier chassis versus a larger coach on a lighter chassis (class C options you're considering). Keep your speed in check and your fuel mileage should be similar. For 3+ people, I can't see doing anything but a class A.

As others mentioned, go to dealerships and spend time in anything you're considering. I shopped the dealerships, before shopping so much the coach. I found a good dealership match at the 4th place I visited. From there, I got more serious about the coach.

I went Class C, because I drive OTR, now. I didn't want to feel like I was still working, with driving the width/size of a class A. Also, I wanted something I could park about anywhere. I'm by myself, so my interior needs are drastically different than yours. However, I could comfortably live with another in what I have. Given the whole left side of my coach slides out, really opens up things. When you go shopping again, you need to make sure you explore what the coach will be like to live in, with all the slides in. That'll make a huge difference with livability, going down the road or temporarily stopped.

ducnut said:
I'd add the Thor ACE lineup in your search. I strongly cross-shopped it before my class C purchase. Also, look at the Four Winds 31W (my 24F is like a shortened version of that).

Thanks.  I have looked at the ACE as well as the Vegas. Overall, I'm really starting to lean more towards the Forest River FR3 29DS  at least as far as the floorplan and visual aestethics.  Not to mention, I understand everyone's point on the view from the class A...I loved the height and the view in the Pete yrs ago.  So much easier to see what's going on around you when you're above the masses.

Since yours is a Class C, although smaller, how does it handle the steep downgrade?  Do you use a lower gear (a little more tedious in the automatic) or just treat it more like a car.  My intention is to head out west next Summer (so much beautiful country to see) as my family has never been out of the southeast and I want to know if I'm going to need to pray before I start one of those multi mile descents.

Xmen1313 said:
Since yours is a Class C, although smaller, how does it handle the steep downgrade?  Do you use a lower gear (a little more tedious in the automatic) or just treat it more like a car.  My intention is to head out west next Summer (so much beautiful country to see) as my family has never been out of the southeast and I want to know if I'm going to need to pray before I start one of those multi mile descents.

I don't know what type of engine braking strategy Ford has in the V10, but, I can definitely feel something change with the resistance against the driveline. I run 57mph on cruise. When I descend a hill, at first there isn't much going on. However, as speed increases, something changes, somewhere. The RPM doesn't increase, like a downshift, though. So, I don't exactly know what.

As for long descents, I have zero reservations. I routinely run I-40/I-5/I-80, in a semi, and know your concerns. The RVers I usually see having issues are older stuff, pulling too much or probably not properly maintained. As you know, starting at a slow speed, with the trans dropped a gear or two, and just taking it easy is the way. If your towed vehicle is something light, you shouldn't have much issue. However, if your towed vehicle is heavy like a full-size pickup, you'd need to consider something heavier built. There's only so much brake rotor that'll fit inside a 16" wheel and only so much radiator will fit behind a van grille.

Make sure the tow dolly you purchase has its own brake system.

All those remote roads criss-crossing the desert are another reason I wanted something smaller. Granted, it's no overland vehicle like a Tiger Coach, it'll still get me as far as I realistically need to be going.

The Forest River looks nice.  I strongly recommend the generator option.  Dash air will not keep the coach comfortable in hot weather.  Using the generator to run the roof air while going down the road makes life a lot better.  This is the voice of experience speaking.  A couple of years ago we were in the South in the Summer with a bad generator.  No ac made the trip miserable.

What is your budget? Are you looking for a new unit? I have to concur on the DP. I bought a Winnebago journey 36, with the 350 cat 6 speed trans. The quietness while driving, the smoothness of the air suspension, the 10,000 lb towing capacity, the endless storage, all make for a great asphalt gobbler!!
Now consider this: it is a 2005, I paid 58k, with 26k miles on it. What do you think you will pay for a new class C gasser? Way more than that! Also, if you read the forums, you'll see that commonly new RV's usually end up back at the dealers multiple times for possibly months getting all the "bugs" worked out. At 26k miles, probably has all the "bugs" worked out already.
My point is, don't automatically discount a DP just because of the perception of high cost or expensive maintenance. In 3 years, 15k miles I have spent about a thousand dollars on maintenance, and some of that was to fix a few things the previous owner should have taken care of.
But the rewards of the DP are many, I tow a 2008 Honda Accord on a dolly and the Journey doesn't even flinch...even over Monarch pass at 11,900ft!!!
My advise, don't fart around with RVs that will just barely do the job, go for the DP, you'll be glad you did!

casualemt said:
go for the DP, you'll be glad you did!
I love the DP's, they're just typically larger than what I'm looking for and anything over 35 ft is going to be real tricky storing at home. I do continue to look, almost daily and most all options are on the table...class A options that is.  Pretty much moved on from the C's.

We have owned both, a 28' class C, and a 40' class A diesel. The Class A's are worth it just for the storage underneath alone. None of the class C's have much storage under neath. I used to pack stuff in a box on the roof.

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom