2004 Itasca Suncruiser inverter fuse problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willh2o

We apparently overloaded our inverter that runs the TV and DVD player that is in the cabinet @ the front of our 2004 Itasca Suncruiser.
Now the 12 volt system doesn't have power. There is no power in the yellow 12 volt wire to or from the inverter.
The 110 volt power from the inverter works.

None of the fuses in the breaker / fuse panel box by the entrance door indicate a problem. And there aren't any breakers tripped in the breaker box.

We can't find an inline fuse in the TV cabinet nor in the battery compartment.

Suggestions and comments will be appreciated. (I apologize I am not electrically inclined--hope you can comprehend what I am trying to communicate--we could use some help.)

Sandra

There is no power in the yellow 12 volt wire to or from the inverter.

Impossible!!! The inverter requires 12V to be able to output 120V!!! More than 1 coloured wire?

Looks like a wiring diagram will be needed as was suggested by ennored. You can download these diagrams from the Winnebago site here: http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/

If you go to the resource center you can navigate to this page which has the wiring diagrams for your 2004 35U Suncruiser

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm

There is one diagram here of the load center which shows breakers at the load center. 

Sandra, Winnie uses the yellow wire for the positive side of 12V and white for the negative side. Did you put the meter leads (or test light) across white and yellow?

Alfa38User said:
Impossible!!! The inverter requires 12V to be able to output 120V!!! More than 1 coloured wire?

Looks like a wiring diagram will be needed as was suggested by ennored. You can download these diagrams from the Winnebago site here: http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/

The internal transfer switch should default to 120 vac shore power and switch to inverted power when turned on

As always, THANK YOU.

Papa has a couple of comments:
He put the meter between the white and yellow wires that split out of the heavy red and white wires on the backside of the inverter labeled DC input. The white wires go to the left at the back of the box and goes to the collection of white wires.

The yellow goes right at the back of the box.  Part of the yellow wire looks like it goes down by the corner of the passenger windshield.

The circuit breaker / fuse box by the entrance door has yellow wires going into the fuses. One is labeled TV / monitor.

Attachments

• Harvey inverter back side.JPG
    Harvey inverter back side.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Harvey inverter 12 volt DC wiring.JPG
    Harvey inverter 12 volt DC wiring.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 23
Now the 12 volt system doesn't have power. There is no power in the yellow 12 volt wire to or from the inverter.

If there is no shore power, that is impossible, since 12v is needed to produce the 110v output. If on shore power and the inverter has a transfer switch, then you are seeing shore power. However, I didn't think the inverter for the '04 Suncruiser entertainment center has an internal transfer switch. Maybe one of the two Johns knows for sure, or somebody could read the schematics to see if there is a 110v input or not..

I'm confused about what doesn't work. If you have 110v power from the inverter, then the Tv and DVD are working, right?  So what part of "the 12v system" isn't functioning?

Gary RV_Wizard said:
If there is no shore power, that is impossible, since 12v is needed to produce the 110v output. If on shore power and the inverter has a transfer switch, then you are seeing shore power. However, I didn't think the inverter for the '04 Suncruiser entertainment center has an internal transfer switch. Maybe one of the two Johns knows for sure, or somebody could read the schematics to see if there is a 110v input or not..

I'm confused about what doesn't work. If you have 110v power from the inverter, then the Tv and DVD are working, right?  So what part of "the 12v system" isn't functioning?

That Dimensions inverter does have an internal transfer switch.

John Hilley said:
So what do you suggest we try? Where can we look? What do we do?

Thanks again for the responses!

Sandra

My inverter has a GFI, have you checked for one and reset? If you are measuring 115 Vac, the problem could be at the outlet (those switch off if the key is on so you can't watch while driving).

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
My inverter has a GFI, have you checked for one and reset? If you are measuring 115 Vac, the problem could be at the outlet (those switch off if the key is on so you can't watch while driving).

Ernie
In my Suncruiser the front TV plugs into a device that interrupts the 120V for the front TV when the engine is running.  It seems that the OP has a problem with the 12V going to his inverter and therefore all of his outlets that run from the inverter.  In my RV the inverter powers only 4 outlets.  These are the outlets for 3 of the TVs and one outlet next to the copilot seat up front. I am assuming the OP when he said he lost power for his front TV he was also checking for power for more than just the front TV. 

So, is the problem that the tv/dvd works when connected to shore power but not when there is no shore or genset power? Just want to make sure we are working on the right problem...

There is surely a major fuse between that little inverter and its 12v power source. Even a small inverter can draw 30 amps or more and I can't imagine Winnebago not using a circuit of that size. Get the wiring diagrams (available on the Winnebago website).

Thanks, John. I knew some of the older Winnies did not use an ATS and simply powered the entertainment center via its dedicated inverter at all times, but did not know when they changed that.

;D Awesome news!!

We now have our original Dimensions 300 w inverter working again!! Thanks for all the suggestions!

We now have the coach front wiring schematics from Winnebago if we ever need them again (hope not). I have them on my phone so I can enlarge them to actually read the small print. We never did figure out what the PUR 2 line was. Figured out PUR is shore line possibly, but not PUR 2.

And more importantly, we found the unmarked 30 amp fuse under the lift-up dash on the left side that was blown. Changed that out and we are in business.

We have a surge protector plugged into the inverter and have the TV, Apple TV, Roku, and DVD / VCR player plugged into that. We won't be using all of those at the same time, but it's nice to have them plugged in at the same place and able to run them for the shore line power or the inverter if we have it switched on. I also am typing this on my Lenovo laptop charging up on the inverter. :D That's where this all started from.

We sure know more now than we did. Always a learning curve. Too bad we paid a couple of guys a couple of hours to not discover anything--oh well. Thankfully it works now, and we are in a cooler climate. Decided why should we keep boiling our brains out at home. Much easier to work on in the nice cool pines right on the Mogollon Rim :D

Til our next challenge, thanks,

Sandra

Everything has been working from the inverter since my last post UNTIL now.

There is green light on the inverter is on showing power running from the genset, and a green light when the genset is off and the inverter is supposed to be powering. Trouble is that the surge proectectors plugged into the back of the Dimensions 300w inverter aren't getting any power either through the genset or through the inverter.

Hopefully it's a simple solution. I have tried everything I can think of. The reset button on the front of the inverter doesn't make a difference. I have tried a variety of surge protectors. I even changed the 30 amp fuse under the dash just to make sure that wasn't an issue. All the fuses and breakers seem okay... Currently the only way I can get any power is to have the generator running and use wall plugs not connected to the inverter.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your patience,

Sandra

Bummer. What does the Dimensions owner's manual say about the green lights? Does that mean the inverter is inverting? Does it mean it sees incoming 120V? 12V?

Quite frankly the Dimensions is a low-end product built to a price point for Winnebago, if you are going to keep the coach for a few years, replace it with a better inverter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom