2004 Itasca Suncruiser inverter fuse problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes Gary, that looks exactly like the inverter that isn't working. Yes, I have plugged lights directly into the back, and nothing works.

What inverter do you suggest? Is is a do-it-yourself replace, or should I hire someone?

I am still enjoying life on the Mogollon Rim--no real close stores. Although I routinely have Amazon ship to a store 5 miles from where I am staying.

Sandra

Call Don Rowe Company and ask them for replacement recommendations. I've bought two 2,000 watt inverter/chargers from them going back to when our coach was new (my first major upgrade was replacing the Dimensions inverter/charger with a pure sine wave Xantrax version in 2005.) They have very competitive prices with good customer service.

One thing worth noting relative to a simple replacement is that the wiring to the inverter is barely adequate. I forget the wire size used, but given the distance, and routing to where it is (above the passenger side of the dash), it'd be difficult to upgrade the wiring to put a larger inverter in the same location. Not that a larger one is needed, just that that is often the first things folks think about when replacing them.

Thanks for suggesting www.DonRowe.com, 800 367 3019. Kyle is very helpful. They do not have a Dimesions win12 300T in stock. So it would be a matter of ordering and waiting 2 - 3 weeks until they get it in stock. He says I need a Pure Sine Wave, and that the current inverter has a transfer switch.

The one option with 1000 watt and a transfer switch is to go w/ the Kisae SWXFR1210 but the size is larger 17 x 9 x 4.5 than what I currently have 13 x 6 x 3.25. I MIGHT be able to put the larger size in the cupboard but it would have to be sideways and displace other components that are there. I actually just remeasured and I think I could put the 17" on the bottom shelf with the plugs towards the front of the cabinet and put the other components like the DVD player on the top shelf as an option. It would definitely change the appearance, but is probably doable.

Amazon carries Kisae same size with transfer switch either 1000, 2000 or 3000 watt.

I have a call into Sensata, manufacturer of Dimensions, 651 653 7000, and am waiting for them to call me back.

My concerns are what would be the pros and cons of going with the Kisae other than totally reconfiguring the AV cupboard? How challenging will it be to change out the converter w/ transfer switch?... Which wattage should I order if the cost isn't all that different? I don't use all the stuff in the AV cabinet, but need to be able to sell the coach with what the next owners might prefer to have. Changing to a Kisae will definitely alter the appearance of the cabinet.

Oh, Don Rowe has a Xantrex but it is modified Sine Wave. I haven't talked specifically with them about that. The size of the box is 13 x 8.3 x 4.1--still a challenge with the space I have.

Kyle, with Don Rowe, also said I should NOT use surge protector strips with the inverter. I was just in process of ordering new surge protector strips with longer cords, guess that's not a good idea!

I am definitely not electrically inclined and Papa is not here for a few days.

Sandra

A modified sine wave inverter (MSW) would be okay, pure sine wave is always the best though. Some electronics don't run well on MSW inverters.  Stick with a 300 watt inverter unless you want to upgrade the 12v wiring to the inverter.

Well I talked to Dimensions Sensata and they don't make a 300w anymore, 600w is their smallest. They suggest I send them the inverter and they'll fix it and ship it back for just under $300 and take 2 - 3 weeks. Not crazy about that option.

FYI, the Dimensions is a quasi sine wave.

I am still trying to figure out what to do. I have calls and emails out to a variety of sources. I am thinking we will probably have to hire someone to put in a larger capacity and run new cables.

Nothing is ever easy! 

We had bought a little 400w Smart ac inverter from Fry's Electronics--but it seems to kind of fade in and out. Not to sure I want my computer and TV hooked up to that!! It's quite noisy besides.

Any more opinions about surge protector strips w/ an inverter w/ a transfer switch? Personally I like surge protector strips so I can turn them off when I don't need power going to those plugs.

Well that about covers my electrical quandries :) For now anyhow.

Quasi sine wave is a stepped sine wave,  marginally better than the square wave inverter. If you want surge protection,  use one on your shore power cord.

What we did in our Voyage 38 J when we decided we wanted more inverting power was to install a 1000 watt Xantrex Pro Watt inverter in a compartment next to our batteries, and used the Xantrex automatic transfer switches connected to the load center to power the outlets in the RV we wanted powered, so we didnt even need the Dimensions inverter.

Attachments

• Xantrex Automotic Transfer Switch.jpg
    Xantrex Automotic Transfer Switch.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Xantrex 1000.jpg
    Xantrex 1000.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member