Ezpass with a toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike69rr

I am new to towing a toad(all 4 down) I applied for a Ezpass transponder for my Tiffin Allegro Bus, commercial transponder due to the weight of the coach), for those with a similar towing situation as mine, do you also have a transponder for your toad?

Thanks,
Mike

I have three.  One for the motorhome by itself.  one for the motorhome towing the toad,  and one in the toad just for driving the toad.  Only use one at a time and keep the others in their little bag so I don't get charged twice when towing.

Thanks for the info. One question, The transponder for your motorhome when you are towing, is it based on combined weight of toad and motorhome?

Thanks,

Mike

What OldRadios wrote.  Just went through this in NY.  The toad has a transponder (has be in the bag while being towed).  Two transponders for the MH.  One when alone and the other while towing.  I had to do the same thing for my PU years ago, for a trailer.
Yes, based on the combined weight.  I think the break is at 7,000 lbs. That was the question I got when I called for the transponder to use while towing.

That's why I opened my EZ Pass account in Rhode Island. You can have vehicles in excess of 7,500 pounds on a personal account without needing a commercial account.

Thank for this thread. I was just getting ready for a trip back east, and wondering how EZPass worked with RV and a Toad.

Same question with SunPass in Florida. Anyone know if the same method works there?

With Florida's Sunpass system you register each vehicle's plate (powered and trailer) in your account, then you associate a transponder with a powered vehicle. So with three powered vehicles and a trailer we have four registered plates and three transponders.
By some means unknown to me (could be license plate recognition software or  a human scanning the surveillance cameras like Amazon's Mechanical Turk) I get charged the appropriate toll whether I'm towing the trailer or not.
With a mh and toad I'd have the MH transponder active and the toad's transponder in its shielding bag.

Theoretically, with Sunpass you could own just one transponder and just go online and change the transponder association depending on which vehicle you're going to take onto a toll road that day.
Of course that's more trouble than it's worth, but you could do it.

We had Sunpass long before the coach. We just move the transponder to the coach and center it on the dashboard. We are billed for 4 axels. We did not put the coach tag on the Sunpass account. Then when back home, the transponder goes back in the Honda and only billed for 2 axels. 

HappyWanderer said:
That's why I opened my EZ Pass account in Rhode Island. You can have vehicles in excess of 7,500 pounds on a personal account without needing a commercial account.
All my tags are on a personal account - NY will only allow 4 tags on the personalaccount without calling in.  There is no association between tag and vehicle.  Just a list of vehicles with plate #s and a list of tags. 

We have two NY "Motorhome Plan" specific E-ZPass transponders, assigned by plate number, one for towing two axles, and one for when not towing. We also have a standard transponder that we move from the toad to our spare car as needed. The unused transponders are kept in the provided shielded bags to avoid duplicate charges. All three are on our personal account, no commercial account needed.

We do the same as "poppop51"  One transponder for each vehicle.  When we pull the toad, that transponder goes in a mylar bag in the glove box.  Then the toll is charged by the MH transponder and the number of axles.  If the transponder is on the windshield of the toad while being towed, the toll will be the MH and the toad + the number of axles.

phil-t said:
All my tags are on a personal account - NY will only allow 4 tags on the personal account without calling in.  There is no association between tag and vehicle.  Just a list of vehicles with plate #s and a list of tags. 
That's the way my Riverlink account works too. You only need a commercial account for more than 4 vehicles.
The toll on the bridges are based on height of the vehicle and number of axles.

I just tried to add my toad to the registration for my CA FastTrak, but it doesn't seem to accept that in the on-line tool.  If I need to have another transponder showing in my toad it makes it a challenge to put this out or stow it in the toad.  I wonder if CA really cares about the presence or absence of a toad.  To check I just wrote to them to ask. Perhaps someone in CA already knows the answer to this.

After nearly clipping my right side mirror on one of the San Francisco bridges I only use FastTrak lanes with more clearance. 

In this morning news a Winnebago Journey got wedged at the toll plaza trapping the occupants inside and destroying the door.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/RV-gets-wedged-in-Golden-Gate-Bridge-toll-booth-11730117.php#photo-13629155

We use the Illinois Ipass which is accepted everywhere EZpass can be used. I have one Ipass and both the Motorhome and the the toad are registered. I move the Ipass to the toad when just driving it. This is how the Ipass folks told me to do it. I have always been charged the correct amount and we have been on almost every EZpass tollway (Indiana, Ohio, NY Thruway, Mass pike, New Hampshire, Maine, Maryland, Pennsylvania and some separate bridges).

ken

We have two Virginia EZpasses, One for the coach which is 2 axles, 6 tires, dual tires (over 7,000 lbs) class 459 and one for our toad 2 axles, 4 tires (up to 7,000 lbs) class 72. From Florida we have one Sunpass Plus this transponder is a participant of SunPass Plus Parking. You can use this SunPass transponder to pay for parking at FL airports. Looks like the Sunpass can be used in GA and NC as well. EZpass can be used from ME to NC and west to IL. Vermont and Connecticut are non toll states according to EZpass.

For those of us that often use an E-ZPass on the NY State Thruway, be aware that the Thruway offers a "Motorhome Plan" and a 5th wheel discount plan. The Motorhome Plan charges E-ZPass per axle passenger car rates instead of the higher tall vehicle rate. THE NYS Thruway tolls are based on height and axle count, with any vehicle over 7-1/2 feet tall normally paying a higher per axle rate. Enrollment in the plan gets you a motorhome specific transponder, and two different transponders if you travel with and without a toad or trailer.

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf

When I purchased my one SunPass transponder, I registered it for all three of my vehicles, including the coach. When I tow, I put the transponder in the windshield of the coach. When I pass a toll booth, a picture is taken of the entire rig and the state knows how many axles I have and how much to charge the account. It's quite simple, really.

John Stephens said:
When I purchased my one SunPass transponder, I registered it for all three of my vehicles, including the coach. When I tow, I put the transponder in the windshield of the coach. When I pass a toll booth, a picture is taken of the entire rig and the state knows how many axles I have and how much to charge the account. It's quite simple, really.
Wouldn't thast require a lot of human manhours of labor in reviewing video.  Maybe they have the technology to count axles and automatically associate it to the tag # so they make the proper billing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom