Onan 4kw problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigguyone

Hi all,  I just got my new used 99 winnebago minnie winnie DL.  Found a few things not working like the converter  (need to get a new one) but i have a problem with the Generator,  it will start but floods out,  the only way i can get it to run is unplug the fuel pump (witch is new) start wait for it to clear out and touch  the fuel pump wires for just a second at a time.  I can do this for say maybe a min and some times i can plug the fuel pump up,  it will run as long a 20 min sometime.  When it will run it will stall if i load it with a/c or any heavy load.

Things i have done to check for problem, (New fuel Pump  3 to 4 psi),  check float and needle seem to work ok ( had carb off and turn fuel pump on, never leak any gas, did this 3 or 4 times so float did it job. Carb was clean inside the electric solenoid was working,

onan  4.0  KY-FA-26600h

iam lost on this one

thanks for any help

I know you checked the float operation but that sounds like a classic case of a float sticking open.  I had a VW van one time that  did something similar.  Turned out the float had a pinhole in it and was filling with gas so it did not float.  Maybe it is hanging up when you put the bowl back on and is not apparent when the bowl is off.  I would check it out again just to make sure you did not overlook anything.  It may have been disassembled by the previous owner and reassembled wrong.

Well that's true  but what driving me nuts about this is it will run after I get it past the first few min.  then I had it running for about 30 min 2 times
and it will stall and act like its flooded.    But I will look at it and see if I can see anything.

Thanks

Probably not your problem, but by chance are you at a high altitude. The two Onan gas gennys I used had an altitude adjuster. If you happen to be at high altitude, it could be out of adjustment for the altitude.

Hi    no iam not at high altitude,  but I have tried to adjust it but didn't make any change. 

Another thing to check is the condition of the fuel line from the tank to the pump.  Yours is probably 18 years old and they get hard and develop miniscule, practically invisible, cracks.  When this occurs the generator will run for a time and then die as air is sucked into the line.  The problem gets worse as you add a load and more fuel is needed.  Sounds a lot like what you are seeing.

:)) On what Sloop said. Its defineatly gas issue...Good Luck keep us posted!!  PS I have an older onan also...1985  Class C LD. I have found that when I tap on the bowl of the carb...it helps smooth out the idle. I fear there is some crud floating around but I hesitate to unscrew the bowl for fear of a leak it might create later on,,,,

Pull off the fuel line and crank it over a few times. Fuel should be flying out of the line. If not, you have a fuel problem, possibly the pump or a fuel line issue.

Ok  check on the problem over the past few days. Every time I would start it it smoked ran ruff and as soon as it used some fuel in the bowl with pump off it ran just like it should for about 15 sec.  The only way I could keep it going  was to turn the pump on and off.  After doing this for about 1 min I could turn the pump on and  It ran for a little over 25 min today, (just a lite load)  then it just died.  I know it gets spark even when it starts to stall I had a timing light on the plug wire and it flash till stop. The fuel line is new  as well as the fuel pump. I have been going over the motorhome checking things out making sure it works,  I plan on taking it out to Huston next month if I get things working.

Anyone know of a replacement carb kit I could maybe get?  As far as I can tell it works but Maybe if I change the needle it mite help.  I just don't want to replace the carb  I have not  tested the generator so don't know if its worth a $300 carb.

Thanks for all the help......

Well  I broke down and got a carb for the generator. didn't take long to put it on, once I all the stuff put back on it started up and ran great. After 10 min or so I  turned it off changed oil and it started right up and ran for an hour with no prob, with A/C on.  The next day it ran for 2 hour so I think its fix.  what a load off me  :),  Now I can start on the few other things the need to be fix.

Thanks for the help and the info
Dave

Glad you got it fixed Dave. Just for giggles, look at the old carb and see if the bowl vent is open. That was the problem with one of my vehicles. I put another carb on it (one I had in the shop) and a mud dobber had plugged the bowl vent. The result was the pump pushed gas thru the jets and down the carb.....just a thought

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom