newbie needs help has questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arniehoutx

Ok here goes......
Ready to pull the trigger on a new 2017 Thor 24ST with diesel gen.  Its on the Sprinter chassis.  The unit comes with the Forever Warranty.  Dealer offers the Good Sam extended warranty.  My concerns center around the MB Sprinter drivetrain.  The dealer doesn't offer anything connected with MB which is a bit confusing.  I prefer to have MB take care of the oil changes etc and ensure my MB warranty stays intact without any questions.  Can I get an MB warranty?
Thoughts / suggestions? Located in the Houston area if that makes a difference.
Thanks!!!!!!!

Welcome!!!

There has been several recent threads on that so-called "Forever Warranty" and it's restrictions/required inspections etc.  Search for "Forever Warranty" (with quotes) using the search item on the Menu line above. Consensus seemed to be "don't touch it" !!!

You said that it was included but you will end up paying through the nose in the end. Try and reduce the price by the cost of said warranty instead. The Good Sam warranties also have a bunch of restrictions but no costly forced inspections that the "Forever" one does. (The GS warranty NOT really a warranty, it is simply an insurance policy with a lot of small print! Many would counsel create your own warranty by saving  the cost and put the money aside for possible future needs).

The MB warranty, whatever it is, will be covered by Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealerships, not the RV dealer. You may be required to register with them after purchase.

Your MB Sprinter van chassis has an MB factory warranty that applies to the drivetrain and other MB components. That warranty is provided by MB and services are obtained through an MB dealer or authorized MB service center. There should be a chassis owner manual in your package of documentation and that should include chassis warranty and service information.

If MB offers an additional (extended) warranty for extra cost, you will have to ask an MB dealer about that, but I suspect they won't want to handle an RV conversion.

Thanks for the responses!

If I go without any Good Sam or Warranty Forever warranties, who should I deal with for emergency tow / break down / tire repairs on the road?
Is this something I can get from AAA?

we have Good Sam roadside and also have coverage with our insurance company. it was very inexpensive to get on the truck policy. I would wait on any extended warranty until the factory warranty gets close to expiring - JMHO

WELCOME to the forum and congrats on the soon to be new camper

We use Coach Net, who besides roadside service/towing also include 24 hour tech support phone calls to help you on things you might fix yourself.

As Larry said ... also they can help you find a shop for service when you are in an area you're not familiar with.  Last year we were in Minnesota, north of the twin cities and were getting a thump from front suspension.  Seemed to be wheel related, varied with speed, I was becoming concerned it might be a wheel bearing issue.  I had looked but hadn't found anything.  They did a LOT of calling around and located a shop about 20 miles away that was able to take us in.  Located and resolved the issue, flat spot on right front tire, at a reasonable price and we were on our way. I need to verify the right address, etc and can post the info.

Howard

Roadside service is different than those "warranties", so it doesn't make any difference if you have them or not.  There are several RV roadside assist services, including one from Good Sam Roadside Assist, Coach Net Motorized Roadside Assist, AAA RV Plus or Premium plans, Allstate Motor Club RV plan, etc.  FMCA has one that is offered to its members as well.

http://www.goodsamclub.com/services/
https://coach-net.com/Products/Compare-Motorized-RV-Roadside-Assistance-Products
https://www.allstate.com/roadside-assistance/motor-club-membership-plans.aspx

Back
Top Bottom