Looking for advice on getting a 4wd toad w/room for junk in the trunk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lasernomad

Let me first say hello and then ask for some advice

Call me Toaster (it?s a long story but that?s what most people know me as). I want to get a bus conversion, cram in my leatherworking studio, drive from art show to art show selling my wears to the 6 people who want them then packing up driving to another town finding another 6 people? wash rinse repeat. I want to do that within 3 years.

So that brings me to the next statement. I currently have 2 cars and neither one will work as a toad/business transport, that can bring me, the lady friend, a big dog, a table or two, a canopy, a cooler and merchandise to the markets and handle forest service roads and other assorted back highway shenanigans. So I want to take this time to get a 4wd SUV or light truck put a roof top tent on it start hitting the art show circuit taking the next 3 years to get a good grasp on what sells how and where. So the roof top tent is a must to allow for cheap/free camping as this is when the income will be the slowest. That brings me to? If I have to get a a car than I want one that will make a great toad and take the next 3 years to pay it off/down. I don't plan on buying anything that would cost me more than $15k to outfit it and it needs to have less than 150,000 miles on it

Here is what I have been looking at:
Toyota Tacoma, 4Runner, Lexus GX470. I know they need a drive shaft decoupler to be towed, is it worth it?
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Those 07/08 CRD diesels are neat probably not worth the hassle? I am sure a gas version would work too, just less neat.

I am not really a fan of american makes I feel they cost you more and give you less and have abysmal resale not that the car will be worth more than scrap metal when I am done with it.

I am thinking that a Jeep liberty, Rav4 or a CRV are probably just too small for what I want and then something much bigger than the 4Runner or Cherokee will be too big to get good mileage and be hard for an old bus to tow. I am looking for suggestions and advice on what to get, please help me. I am going to give myself 6 months to find a car, I won't let perfection be the enemy of good enough.

Thank you,
Toaster Jones

Back
Top Bottom