30amp with 15amp adapter into 20amp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

axyprang

Hi all. New here, and I'm hoping you will be able to answer my question quickly.

I have a tent trailer with a 30amp plug. It has a 15amp adapter. I'm going to a campground tomorrow with a 20amp service. Will it be ok to plug in the 15amp adapter into the 20amp service? No AC or fridge, so it would just be for lights, phone charging, and a blender. Thanks in advance!

Yes. Without the a/c, you won't draw more than 15A anyway. At worst the adapter will get hot and fail, but that shouldn't happen unless you draw more power than you described.

Great, thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, the only thing I might be doing at the same time is charge a phone and have a light on.

Short answer.. The "20 amp" Outlet is likely a 15/20 amp outlet. This means the NEUTRAL side is a "T" on it's side

15 amp plugs have two parallel flat blades (the safety ground is round, if it is present)

On 20's they are are also 2 flat and one optional round only the two flat are perpenduclar'
"(Like the top and upright of the lewter "T") so the hot pin is the same, just the neutral rotated.

And it's the same size on both plugs.. So you can safely use a 15 amp plug  Monitor the adapter though. they may get a bit warm if not well built. (another word for "A bit warm" is MELT)

one last thought.. I have a photo of a device and giving you a search term is not going to happen

It's a plastic block, on one side are TWO 15 amp plugs arrainged to plug into a standard duplex outlet

On the other side a TT-30 Outlet.  Now this is what I recommend.

Some days you just get lucky, Found it in once search

Power Maximizer for Generators

John From Detroit said:
one last thought.. I have a photo of a device and giving you a search term is not going to happen

It's a plastic block, on one side are TWO 15 amp plugs arrainged to plug into a standard duplex outlet

On the other side a TT-30 Outlet.  Now this is what I recommend.

Some days you just get lucky, Found it in once search

Power Maximizer for Generators

That's great John but I couldn't find a supplier.

Back
Top Bottom