Do we have a propane refill listing?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Allstays shows places that sell propane.
It does not show price though.

...do we have a resource for best propane filling costs?

Sorry, we do not, but we could set one up if members were eager to contribute to the list.

I made the mistake of driving the coach to an Ace Hardware store today because it was the closest place that had propane to my house. More expensive than a lot of places at $3.69/gal., but what really set me off and won't allow me to go back was the fact that their scale read that my tank took 10.1 gallons. I have a 28 lb. tank that can only be filled 75% and the tank still had ⅜ in it if the gauge was reading correctly. That means it should have only taken another ⅜ to be 75% full. That equates to 10.5 lbs. Since there are 4.21 lbs. in a gallon, it shouldn't have taken more than 3 gallons to fill the tank as far as it would go. If the gauge was wrong and the tank was completely empty, which I know it wasn't, it still would have only taken about 5 gallons, but their gauge read 10.1. I called the guy on it, telling him that either the gauge was inaccurate or he forgot to reset it from the last fill because it is physically impossible to get 10 gallons into a 28 lb tank. He pondered it a minute and said he would settle for charging me for 5 gallons. I told him I owed him for 3; if he wanted to charge me for 5, I would pay it, but he would never see me in his store again and I would spread the word. He still wanted to be paid for 5 gallons. So here we are.

In my area Tractor Supply has great prices on propane.  About half the price of the gas station I have been using forever.  I hadn't even thought to check around until a friend told me about TS.

John Stephens,
I think you owe the guy at Ace an apology (and more money). Your Adventurer has a 28 GALLON propane tank -- not 28 pounds.

John Stephens: I agree with ChasA.  However, I'm mystified how they got your fixed LP tank on a scale and weighed it!

Also, your LP gauge may already be calibrated for the 80% (not 75%) LP capacity.  The gauges physically on the tank outlet usually show both the water capacity and the 80% propane capacity, but the interior gauge is often calibrated so that the 80% level of Propane equates to "Full". You may have needed 5/8 of a tank rather than 3/8.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
John Stephens: I agree with ChasA.  However, I'm mystified how they got your fixed LP tank on a scale and weighed it!

Also, your LP gauge may already be calibrated for the 80% (not 75%) LP capacity.  The gauges physically on the tank outlet usually show both the water capacity and the 80% propane capacity, but the interior gauge is often calibrated so that the 80% level of Propane equates to "Full". You may have needed 5/8 of a tank rather than 3/8.
ChasA said:
John Stephens,
I think you owe the guy at Ace an apology (and more money). Your Adventurer has a 28 GALLON propane tank -- not 28 pounds.

Chas - You are correct. I wiped off the tank and looked at the imprinted information. I thought it was 28.7 lbs., but instead, it stated gallons. So the 10 gallon fill was correct. I will go up to Ace today and pay them for the additional five gallons.

Gary - they didn't have to take the tank off the coach. Their tank has a meter just like a gas pump at a filling station that tells them how much propane has passed through the meter.

My gauge is NOT calibrated for the 80% legal capacity, and while you are correct on that figure regarding federal law, Winnebago takes it one step farther and limits the filling of their tanks to 75%. When the fuel is cutoff indicating the tank is full, the gauge reads 75%. So no, I only needed ⅜ of a tank.

supermanotorious said:
Just as we have sites and lists of dump stations and fresh water, do we have a resource for best propane filling costs?

While several apps are available for locating propane filling, I would be surprised if there were any that showed pricing as it is constantly changing.
As RL Sharp mentions, Flying J has pricing because its limited to their own facilities. 
Iphone has an "alternative fuel locator" which you can filter to propane, but Allstays is probably your best bet. Just need to call around your area for costs.

stevensc said:
In my area Tractor Supply has great prices on propane.  About half the price of the gas station I have been using forever.  I hadn't even thought to check around until a friend told me about TS.

I agree.  I paid $2.14/gallon last time I used them.

Well I called around the north valley, Bell Rd RV was the highest at $4/gal and Mr Trailer the lowest at $2.55/gal, I thought I had (2) 30 gal tanks but as I watched Mr Trailer fill them up, they went barely over 7 gallons each. It's the first time I've had tanks filled and I was happily surprised at how affordable it is. No more exchanging my bbq grill tanks, I'll just get them refilled for half the cost.

supermanotorious said:
I thought I had (2) 30 gal tanks

More than likely they are 30 POUND tanks

In my MH I have a fixed 29 Gallon tank - so you having 2 tanks I assume they are 30#'s.

Tractor Supply Company is a good one. I also have a wet line on my home tank and can fill my own. Generally the least expensive.

RedandSilver said:
More than likely they are 30 POUND tanks

In my MH I have a fixed 29 Gallon tank - so you having 2 tanks I assume they are 30#'s.
If you want to be technical the portable ones are Cylinders and the permanently installed are Tanks. ;D

Either way I usually go with Tractor Supply they seem to have the best price and know what they are doing.

John Stephens said:
My gauge is NOT calibrated for the 80% legal capacity, and while you are correct on that figure regarding federal law, Winnebago takes it one step farther and limits the filling of their tanks to 75%. When the fuel is cutoff indicating the tank is full, the gauge reads 75%. So no, I only needed ⅜ of a tank.
When I fill the tank on my 2013 Winnebago, the inside monitor reads FULL and the gauge on the tank reads more than 3/4 full. After I have used it a good while it will read 3/4 on the inside monitor and the gauge on the tank.

TheNewhalls said:
When I fill the tank on my 2013 Winnebago, the inside monitor reads FULL and the gauge on the tank reads more than 3/4 full. After I have used it a good while it will read 3/4 on the inside monitor and the gauge on the tank.

That's interesting and makes me wonder if Winnebago changed their protocol and/or gauges from 2005 to 2013, because my owner's manual states that the tank will not fill more than 75%. The inside monitor will show completely full when the tank is only ? full. Its lights are set at one-third increments.

This could be a great resource because it's easy for users to update the price (and it says when the last update was), but nobody seems to do it.

http://www.altfuelprices.com/

It has a place for comments, and when I update one, I put in whether the location will fill an onboard propane tank on a motorhome. 

John Stephens said:
That's interesting and makes me wonder if Winnebago changed their protocol and/or gauges from 2005 to 2013, because my owner's manual states that the tank will not fill more than 75%. The inside monitor will show completely full when the tank is only ? full. Its lights are set at one-third increments.
I don't know when, but they changed it.

Attachments

• IMG_2498.JPG
    IMG_2498.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back