Waste Valves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edb121212

I need to replace my black water valve on my 2007 5th wheel Keystone Montana because it is leaking a little.  I thought while I was doing it I might as well do the grey water valve too.  Does anyone know what size they are?  I would assume the black water is a 3" and the grey I'm not sure.  Would like to hear from a Montana owner that has replaced these valves.  I watched a video but of course all brands of RVs can be different.
Thanks
Oh, also I am hearing things like make sure it's not a cable valve and are bristol and valterra valves interchangeable?  Now I'm getting confused.

I'm not a Montana owner but I do have a Keystone Hideout 5th wheel. The valves should all be standard, though, as far as I know: 3" for the black and 1-1/2" for the grey.

Joezeppy said:
I'm not a Montana owner but I do have a Keystone Hideout 5th wheel. The valves should all be standard, though, as far as I know: 3" for the black and 1-1/2" for the grey.

Same here and I have a Montana.  See below.

ok, thanks to you both.  They are just normal valves not a cable type right?  I called Keystone and talked with some guy who said they are all 3"  including the galley.  That does not sound right to me and I told him so but he said "no, they are all 3"".

I'll take that back what I said. The black water tank and the gray water tank right side by side are both 3"  The tank for the kitchen is 1 1/2". I forgot. They are all operated by a cable.

Thanks Rene, so is the cable one different then the Valterra and Bristol ones that they sell on Amazon? 

edb121212 said:
Thanks Rene, so is the cable one different then the Valterra and Bristol ones that they sell on Amazon?

I don't know if there is any difference. You should be able to get by with just changing the 2 rubber seals. The gate slides in a groove and it may be just some crap is stuck in the groove preventing the valve from shutting all the way.

Save yourself a lot of work.  Get one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-Twist-On-Waste-Valve/dp/B000BGHYJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501809543&sr=8-1&keywords=RV+Sewer+gate+valve

8Muddypaws said:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-Twist-On-Waste-Valve/dp/B000BGHYJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501809543&sr=8-1&keywords=RV+Sewer+gate+valve

What he's saying is put this valve on the end of your sewer pipe. I also have one. It's a good backup valve. You can also transfer water from 1 tank to another tank while boondocking if one tank gets full.

edb121212 said:

Valterra makes both a cable actuated valve and a valve with handle, both sold on Amazon. The cable valve has a different housing and a hole in the valve stem to attach the cable. The standard valve is treaded for a handle or an extension. I am having problems with my black waste valve as well. Was set to buy a replacement valve and change out. On a lark, I clipped the the cable wire this weekend and it appears that the valve will now close fairly easily by hand. I ordered two new cables and hopefully replacing them will do the trick. It's the "shade tree" mechanics credo - replace the easiest and cheapest part first. It might work. If not, I will replace the valve also. The cables are the weak link as they get stiff and virtually inoperable. If they are not installed properly they will develop a kink and will never work.

Rene T said:
What he's saying is put this valve on the end of your sewer pipe. I also have one. It's a good backup valve. You can also transfer water from 1 tank to another tank while boondocking if one tank gets full.

A valve should me mounted with the handle up, or at least no lower than 90 degrees.  The twist-on valve is usually at a downward angle allowing "stuff" to flow into the valve body gumming it up.  The first time I had valve trouble and installed my new twist-on valve, it was too loose to drive with it on.  If you have one of these things for backup, test fit it before an emergency happens.

Here's something to consider when placing a stop gate at the discharge end of your RV collection system due to an upstream leak: a 1.5" pipe 20' long will hold approximately 15lbs of liquid.  A 3" line 20' long will hold around 60lbs.  Eventually you could have a bunch of weight hanging from the underbelly of your RV; weight that the collection system was never designed or intended to travel with...
I point this out because the lines on our TT that are emptied via a cable don't appear supported well enough to travel with full.  They're also tucked above a corrugated plastic bottom on our TT - but that's another issue...

8Muddypaws said:

I've considered a twist-on valve since our 3" pipe runs about 3' past the black valve. No matter how long I let it sit after closing the black valve, there is always maybe a half ounce that drips out of the pipe as soon as I uncap it the next time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom