Got 2 Batteries ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BIG JOE

On & In Slide # 1, our 2016 Reflection Fw has the Stove, the Re fridgerater, a 40" TV, Electric Fireplace and all the Pots, Pans and [stuff] the DW thinks needs to be stored in 2 Drawers and 10 Cupboards. On the outside.. it also has a 32" TV, a small Refer, a BBQ and it's gear.

This Slide (electric, rack & pinion) seems to Struggle some when Extending or Retracting (duh ?), when we're loaded for the Road. OEM it came with 1, 12v Interstate, group 27, 600 CCA/750 MCCA, Deep Cycle/Marine Battery. It has never failed.. but I don't like the Struggle part.

I'm going to install 2, 12v >AGM< batteries (not 6v).

My question is: What CCA Deep Cycle (only) batteries does the Forum think..... would be sufficient, or ideal.. to improve the Power ?

You Opinions Please ???

Joe

I would run jumper cables from the truck to the current battery and retest.  If it is still slow, you need to find the problem.  Taking the battery to one of large chain auto parts stores for a free test will tell the condition of the current battery.  I wouldn't throw big money into batteries and then be disappointed.

I would go with two GC-2 Golf car batteries (220 amp hours at 12 volts give or take a tad)

However: A MARINE/deep cycle is a starting battery it is designed for a higher current (Relative to capacity) than a true DEEP CYCLE but only for 30 seconds.  Unlike straight MARINE or Automotive batteries it can take a very SLIGHTLY lower state of charge.. But not 50% like the Golf Car types

THe Group 27 is just a couple Amp Hours shy of 100 Amp hours at teh C/20 rate
The Group 29 just a few OVER 100

In both cases you can use 100 for estimate

So you want at least `100 amp hours per battery or 200 for the pair

WHY the GC-2 (2 in series) instead of a pair of 27's or 28's (or if you can fit 'em 31's)

COST. The GC-2 is the most popular Lead Acid rechargeable due to the fact GC stands for GOLF CAR.. Though the GC-12 (Another good choice if you use 2) is catching up.. It is 12 volt. But I'm not sure of the capacity,

What CCA Deep Cycle (only) batteries does the Forum think..... would be sufficient, or ideal.. to improve the Power ?

CCA is not very relevant for a deep cycle - CCA is a measurement of short term engine cranking power in cold weather. Deep cycle capacity is measured in Amp-Hours or Reserve Capacity, and more is better.

Your existing Group 27 marine/RV battery will have a capacity of about 110-115 amp-hours, or at least it did when new. A second one like it would double the capacity, which ought to help a lot. However, you need to be sure that original battery is still good, or you should replace that as well as adding one. Coupling a new battery to one in poor condition doesn't help at all - up just end up with two crappy batteries. Make sure it is fully charged and then check the voltage with no load on the battery - it should read 12.6v or more. Better yet, take it out and have it load tested at an auto parts or battery store.

Several here have recommended a true deep cycle such as the 6v GC2 golf car battery. Those last much longer than marine/RV deep cycles, but don't provide any more power. For a discussion of battery choices for an RV, see our Library article on RV Batteries at Choosing a battery

Thanks all  :))

I've boosted the Fw battery from my truck (lynnmore) and it "helped" that heavy slide extend and retract.. noticeably, and I've Load Tested (my tester) the 2 year old OEM battery and it Checks strong/good... so I'm thinking is not drive motors, or wiring issues. Just not Enough Batt Power.. from the One group 27. (to my liking)

I have 3 stage converter and the room, so I think I'm going to go with TWO, 29 or 31 AGM's, build my own battery tray/box.. and be done with it.

But... Thanks Again for the Responses, Tech talk , and Advise.

This is a GREAT Site & Forum ! Best on the Web... IMO  :)

Joe

I've found that leaving the mh plugged in (or startingvthe generator) until the slides are moved does help. From that I presume that the additional voltage helps overcome the drop in the wiring.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
I've found that leaving the mh plugged in (or startingvthe generator) until the slides are moved does help. From that I presume that the additional voltage helps overcome the drop in the wiring.

Ernie

I do the same, but noticed when it was plugged in.. [and] I boosted it from my truck.. there was a lot less surge.. when the slide drive motors took the initial load.

I'll post back the results, when I get the 2 upgraded batteries installed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom